Lightning

HELP!!! 2003 Ford Lightning Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 08:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP!!! 2003 Ford Lightning Issues

I just got a 2003 Ford Lightning in May of this year and 2 months later I drove it, got gas, went home, and 2 hours later tried to drive somewhere else and it kept shutting off like I wasn't getting fuel pressure. I bought brand new fuel pumps and replaced them, didn't work. Changed the fuel filter, didn't work. Now it's been at the shop for a month and they've replaced the alternator which didn't work. Now I bought a new computer and this STILL isn't the problem! Has anyone had this problem or know what could be wrong?

Old 10-17-2012, 12:15 PM
Most likely the ceramic fuel resistor next to the intercooler pump underneath by the radiator and heat exchanger. Since they are cheap, replace the two fuel relays in in the little box next to the main power distribution center.

You can jump the high/low relay, bypassing the resistor, with a short piece of wire, that should give you full pressure to the pumps at all times. I would not drive it too long in that condition, flooding and causing injectors to leak as well as rich codes could result.

While you are in the main power distribution center, check all of your fuses.

PS On another Lightning forum/s there are pictures and diagrams detailing this operation and problem.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by FireGuy
Most likely the ceramic fuel resistor next to the intercooler pump underneath by the radiator and heat exchanger. Since they are cheap, replace the two fuel relays in in the little box next to the main power distribution center.

You can jump the high/low relay, bypassing the resistor, with a short piece of wire, that should give you full pressure to the pumps at all times. I would not drive it too long in that condition, flooding and causing injectors to leak as well as rich codes could result.

While you are in the main power distribution center, check all of your fuses.

PS On another Lightning forum/s there are pictures and diagrams detailing this operation and problem.
+1 on this....try that.
On LR there is a how-to

Old 10-19-2012, 10:31 AM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
x2...

Old 10-22-2012, 02:11 PM
Got it

We picked it up Thursday and asked someone else and they told us this so we're just waiting on the part. But thank y'all for your help!

Old 11-18-2012, 11:46 AM
Easy to check. Just look to see a broken mess of ceramic next to the IC pump

Old 07-22-2014, 09:03 AM
what was the outcome?? I have a 99 that shu off the other day. Starts right up and idles but when i give it gas it chokes out and dies.......In the proces of getting the fuel pressure tested etc...

Old 07-22-2014, 09:32 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
OPs latest activity was 10-22-2012. Doubt they will be back to answer your question.

Might be worth starting your own thread and getting current members to help you out

Quick Reply: HELP!!! 2003 Ford Lightning Issues