King Ranch

wet bathing suits and KR leather

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 02:56 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
wet bathing suits and KR leather

did the search and came up with only 2 hits for bathing suits and king ranch leather. one of them was a question i asked a couple years ago. since then i have ended up in florida near the beach. up until now we always used my wifes vehicle. that is going back off lease and we will be using my 150 KR. my question is, how bad will the seats end up looking due to the wet bathing suits on them? one of my boys got in the back seat over the weekend with a wet suit and the seat got dark brown. thought it was done for only to come out an hour later and it was ok.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The simple solution would be to not let wet suits on your seats. Use a towel or make them change.

The seats in a KR are real leather, and a small amount of water should not hurt them, especially if it has good protection.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:27 PM
well here sia solution grab a crap load of towels when you leave the beach sit on them so the seats dont get wet thats what i do when i go cliff jumping and i have cloth seats so if they get wet they stain

Old 05-03-2010, 03:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would at least put some towels down. Maybe even invest in some cheap seat covers for those trips to the water. Just put them on when you load the truck up before you go, remove them when you get back.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:50 PM
The problem is that it was his kid. And kids are notorious for doing ***** they arent supposed to. You should be fine

Old 05-03-2010, 04:57 PM
The problem is that it was his kid. And kids are notorious for doing ***** they arent supposed to. You should be fine
exactly. had a towel down and told him to sit on it. guess he didnt hear me, yah right. my concern is this happening over and over and what the seats will get to looking like. i have seen pics of some really ratty looking leather on this site.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:47 PM
happened to me this weekend. nothing bad happened excpet sand in my seats.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:28 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I would think the wet areas would turn black, but should dry to normal color. I got some rain on the edge of my seat that turned black, and it dried black for some reason. I used some conditioner and color came back. I would take the extra towel precaution and try to keep them dry.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:37 PM
Last time I checked, cows were waterproof. What does Ford do to that leather to make it absorb water?

Old 05-06-2010, 07:58 PM
Last time I checked, cows were waterproof. What does Ford do to that leather to make it absorb water
must have something to do with our seats being dead.

my seats look great now. once it becomes the primary vehicle after wifes goes off lease, who knows. it would be nice if finances allowed me to trade for a lariat.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by freekyFX4
Last time I checked, cows were waterproof. What does Ford do to that leather to make it absorb water?
Living leather has a high moisture content. Dead leather has been dried and treated with chemicals.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:51 AM
got the new sportsman guide catalog and they have a cover that goes on the seat. it has the staps that are good for quick on and off. called and got the measurements and it looks like it will fit good. it is pvc so water should not penetrate. all the covers i looked at would allow water thru. some of the neoprene ones i have been told will let the water thru but then not let air in to allow it to dry thereby creating a bigger problem

Old 05-20-2010, 01:02 PM
Unless there is something special about the neoprene seat covers they shouldn't let anything through. I am thinking of it like the neoprene wetsuits used for scuba diving.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:44 PM
you would not think neopene would be a problem. but i have heard the water that gets between the cover and the leather will cause problems like staining and rot. the covers that i have seen on the package it says that they are not damaged by water and say water resistant. they make no claims about being water proof and unpenetrable. maybe if i had cloth seats i would give a try or if the seats were real nasty and i needed them covered. what i ordered is back ordered until may 25th. so i will make do with towels until then.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:38 PM
don't do it - my passenger seat will never be the same because I let my girlfriend come straight from the pool into my truck....

combination with the wetness and pressure (115lbs) from her sitting actually streched the leather. now the leather doesn't fit "tight" around the cushion....there is a slight ripple.

it's not worth the risk....throw some towels down...

Quick Reply: wet bathing suits and KR leather