King Ranch

King Ranch Sunroof leaking

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 12:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all new to this website, glad it's here. I have an issue with my supercrew KR sunroof. It's leaking and the water drips off the door post. I thought the dealership would replace the sunroof rubber seal, however, they have to consider that. What's up with that? anyone else have this kind of issue? and if so what did you do to fix it?

Thanks

Old 01-26-2006, 01:42 PM
Mine nor my Mothers has leaked, but we did both have to have the entire sunroofs replaced since they stopped opening and closing. Luckily we both bought the zero deductible Ford ESP so we didn't have to pay anything. When was your truck built? Early model year or late model year? I know the early '02 models have a different sunroof then the late '02 models do.

Old 01-26-2006, 05:21 PM

Thanks for the info, I'm not sure when it was built, in 02. However, I am the second owner, and from what I know as of today, I did not know when I bought the truck. And that is the last owner also had to replace the sunroof, and seems that Paxton Ford left out an important rear water tray. According to what I have been told without that water tray, you will get water into your truck. I think that's a line a bull, but the Ford house said that most sunroofs leak, however those channels direct the water out of the truck. And the owner never even knows it's going on until the tray come loose etc. Anyway, I guess I will find out after this weekend Pax Ford said they will replace th lost part for free. I'll let you know if that solves the issue. Even though I am still trying to get Ford to explain the leak, and that it should be fixed.

Thanks
2002 KR

Old 01-27-2006, 07:33 AM
I have a '01 KR S'crew. My sunroof has never leaked but I have had trouble with the bracket that moves the shade below the glass coming undone and getting stuck back in the headliner. I was able to fish it out with a coat hanger and get it reinstalled. Good luck with getting the leak fixed.

Old 01-27-2006, 09:54 AM
I was also told that ALL sun roofs leak by a Ford dealer. Which is why the tray is there to let the water flow out of the truck through the tubes. I can see if you do not have that water tray that your sun roof will let water onto you then.

I don't know how true it is that all sun roofs leak water in and the owner never knows it? Kinda makes sence, but I don't know.

Goodluck trying to fix that leak though and hopfully if you get that water tray back into place you won't have that problem again!

Old 01-27-2006, 11:59 AM
I don't buy the line from the dealer that all moon roofs leak. I have a `97 Taurus that I have owned since new (111K miles) with a moonroof in it. It has NEVER leaked!

Old 01-28-2006, 07:53 AM
Originally Posted by KingRanchMan02
I don't buy the line from the dealer that all moon roofs leak. I have a `97 Taurus that I have owned since new (111K miles) with a moonroof in it. It has NEVER leaked!
I'm sure you're right, but it does make you wonder why Ford has a water tray for the F150 in the first place.

I originally wanted a sunroof when I was shopping for my KR and now I'm thinking I might be better off because we decided on one that didn't include that option...

Old 01-28-2006, 11:17 AM
Had a Riveria with a leaky moon roof. There was a small trim around the
glass and water was coming in there. Took it in 3 times, they removed whole unit, than the glass. Never would listen to what i was telling them. So finally i went and brought some silicone caulk put it around the trim never leaked again. It must be written never listen to what the customer has to say.

Old 01-28-2006, 11:08 PM
I think what the dealer meant was. The sunroof is not water tight. The tray is there to let the water run out the drain hoses.

Being a movable panel the front and both left and right sides will leak, into the tray and out the drain hoses. That is the design of it.

Old 02-07-2006, 05:14 PM
My '02 Sunroof Repaired Last Year

My sunroof wouldnt seal all the way. It looked like it was in the vent position. Water would leak in at the A pillars. I also had the problem with the shade going off track. It cost me over $400.00 at Ford for the repair. I bought the Ford Extra Care extended warranty and it wasn't covered.

Old 02-07-2006, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by normikg
My sunroof wouldnt seal all the way. It looked like it was in the vent position. Water would leak in at the A pillars. I also had the problem with the shade going off track. It cost me over $400.00 at Ford for the repair. I bought the Ford Extra Care extended warranty and it wasn't covered.
Is there something different from your Ford Extra Care and the Ford Extended Service Plan? I was just asking because they replaced my entire sunroof free of charge with my Ford ESP.

Old 02-08-2006, 05:38 PM
Warranty

Originally Posted by Skagel
Is there something different from your Ford Extra Care and the Ford Extended Service Plan? I was just asking because they replaced my entire sunroof free of charge with my Ford ESP.
I have ESP extended service plan too. Its the 1 down from the best. Even the best coverage, Premium Care doesn't cover the sunroof. I called Ford ESP when I was told that sunroofs aren't covered on any plan. Take a look at what and what is not covered on the Premium Care Warranty. https://www.esp.ford.com/usa/plancomponents.asp

Were you within your original 3 year 36k mi original bumper to bumper warranty? Then it would be covered.

Old 02-08-2006, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by normikg
I have ESP extended service plan too. Its the 1 down from the best. Even the best coverage, Premium Care doesn't cover the sunroof. I called Ford ESP when I was told that sunroofs aren't covered on any plan. Take a look at what and what is not covered on the Premium Care Warranty. https://www.esp.ford.com/usa/plancomponents.asp

Were you within your original 3 year 36k mi original bumper to bumper warranty? Then it would be covered.

It was covered by my Ford ESP Premium Care Warranty on my old 2001 at 750 mile under the 3/36 then at 66K for the same problem they replaced the carpet drivers seat skin.
Now the funny thing is that my old truck was built 127 from the end of production on the last day in Canada WITHOUT the two front drain tubes
installed, to install them right the had to pull the int. all out in the frt. dash too.

Old 02-14-2006, 09:52 PM
03 with moon roof doing fine.

Never had a problem. bought it new ins Nov 02.

Quick Reply: King Ranch Sunroof leaking