Turk's head on grab handle

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 12:33 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Turk's head on grab handle

Tied a 16L x 3B Turk's head using 550 paracord on my grab handle the other day ...

Old 09-13-2009, 06:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very nice ! I miss the grab handle on the driver's side . I used to hold on to it when I cleaned the windshield .

Old 09-14-2009, 12:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very nice- good deal of work, but an outstanding outcome. May have to do that with leather cord...

Old 09-16-2009, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Bacon Jr
Very nice- good deal of work, but an outstanding outcome. May have to do that with leather cord...
The small 16L x 3B Turk's heads are pretty quick/simple to do ... it's the 27L x 10B's I tie around water bottles that can really nut you up if you're not careful! I haven't tried leather ... I like the paracord because after the knot is done, you can shrink it in hot water which will really tighten it up.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pretty cool. How long did that take?

Old 09-17-2009, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by rednoved
Pretty cool. How long did that take?
Thanks. It took about an hour or so including removing the handle.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:08 AM
So if I wanted to do this to the top part of my steering wheel, would that easy? Maybe there is a how to on the internet or a youtube video? I have been thinking about this since I read this thread.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:30 AM

So if I wanted to do this to the top part of my steering wheel, would that easy? Maybe there is a how to on the internet or a youtube video? I have been thinking about this since I read this thread.
The knot is relatively easy to tie, but more difficult on a steering wheel, as you would have to sit in the truck to tie the knot (probably not the best place to tie your first one). I follow a guide in a book (which I seem to have misplaced so I can't give you the name of it), but I'm sure there's much info on the internet.

16L x 3B means the strings cross 16 times down the length of the knot and 3 times around the knot. A large "L" number makes a long knot, a larger "B" number is required when the object you're tieing around gets larger.

Some other stuff I've tied Turk's Heads on ...

Old 09-20-2009, 09:44 AM
That's awesome. Maybe I'll practive on some other things then do it in the truck. Right at the top of my steering wheel, I guess my watch rubbed against it too much, or scratched it good. There is a little worn spot appeard this week. It flaked off a piece of the leather. It's not really noticeable, but I'd rather cover it up so it doesn't spread. I don't really want a steering wheel cover, but I think one of those knots will look pretty cool on there.

So if I wanted to make the size of your grab handle, about how many feet of cord is that? Where is a good place to purchase paracord?

Old 09-20-2009, 09:47 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Really neat man

Old 09-20-2009, 10:25 AM

That's awesome. Maybe I'll practive on some other things then do it in the truck. Right at the top of my steering wheel, I guess my watch rubbed against it too much, or scratched it good. There is a little worn spot appeard this week. It flaked off a piece of the leather. It's not really noticeable, but I'd rather cover it up so it doesn't spread. I don't really want a steering wheel cover, but I think one of those knots will look pretty cool on there.

So if I wanted to make the size of your grab handle, about how many feet of cord is that? Where is a good place to purchase paracord?
I think there's approx 8-10' of cord per color (I actually tied this turk's head about 6 months ago). Supply Captain on line sells 30+ colors of 550 paracord for approx $8/100'.

Quick Reply: Turk's head on grab handle