Anyone else fed up with Country Radio?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there any reason why you can't come to here and get a job to pay your student loans off?

I've never heard of Frank Foster, but he actually does sound pretty good! I like his gritty voice. I like Wade Bowen a lot too. That's a funny video haha. Josh Abbott's "I'll Sing About Mine" is great and the same sort of message.

"I'd Want it to be Yours" isn't too bad haha. As much as a song like that isn't "pure," it can be viewed as him having fun and writing some random song, cause they all still have a proper sound and instrumentation. I have his whole first album and will probably buy the rest of "Outlaws Like Me" soon. I agree with much Jason Aldean's music not being country, I just still like him. Almost all of Reckless Kelly's music is classified as southern rock for me, very little "country." "Seven Nights in Eire" is one of my favorite songs by them, but it's not real widely-known.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:13 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
I see what you mean, still drives me nuts though.

It doesn't make sense right now. I will shortly have loan payments (which I want to pay much more than to cut them down quicker), no full-time job as I still am searching, and I would have to have a place to stay. Add all that up and that's a lot of be paying for someone who is just out of school and probably won't have a high paying job. My thinking is if I can get into the field I am trying to (HR) and do well and move up, finding a job would be easier since they would no longer be entry level.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:24 PM

I can understand that. I guess that's the poor economy at work right there, and the industry you're in. I'm hoping/expecting to have a job lined up before graduation . . . fingers crossed.

Are you staying with your parents right now to save on rent?

Old 01-29-2014, 08:44 AM

Exactly and yeah. I commuted to college and worked full time+ and my parents want us to stay home so we can get rid of loans. I know my dad isn't fond of me wanting to leave but I live once and I want to be happy.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:10 AM
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
Exactly and yeah. I commuted to college and worked full time+ and my parents want us to stay home so we can get rid of loans. I know my dad isn't fond of me wanting to leave but I live once and I want to be happy.
Lot's of job's down here but most are in the oilfield or shipbuilding industries. At least with a college degree if you can get on with a major company you'll have a decent income and future. People in Louisiana work hard and like to party hard...so beware! Not familiar with Frank Foster but did enjoy the video...the offshore worker's video was great also. Lot's of those rig's out in the gulf and Port Fourchon one of the major jumping off spot's for supplies to these rig's is about 40 miles south of my house. Good luck with your job search and I think Texas or even Louisiana would be a good move.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:52 PM

Good to hear PawPaw. Yeah that's what I'm thinking, especially when I am more qualified. Might make it easier when applying since I'd no longer be entry level. Fingers crossed.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
The rest of my family is very likely moving to either Salt Lake or Indiana soon for dad's work. Still might not but we'll see. But they'd be leaving me instead of the other way around! I'll be keeping my happy *** right here though. Texan for the last 19 years, Texan forever

Old 02-22-2014, 04:37 AM

I just got in from seeing Granger Smith at Hurricane Harry's and oh MAN! That was an absolutely stellar show. The entire band really put on a great show. His bassist and drummer are top notch as well.

Old 01-15-2017, 05:30 PM

Been so heavy into Texas country the past few years. If there's any interest, I've got an fb page (expanding to YouTube and such shortly) Facebook.com/pitstop4country and @pitstop4country on Instagram. I've been trying to help promote artists from Texas and reddirt. Still in the early stages, but you've gotta start Somewhere. It's neat because of the interactions I get from the artists. Thank for check it out if you do 👍

Old 01-15-2017, 10:14 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I gave up on terrestrial radio about 2 years ago. We only have 2 real rock stations here in Cleveland and they both have talk shows on in the morning and play absolutely no music until 11 am except weekends. I started listening to sat radio and found Ozzy's Boneyard, channel 38 on Sirrus. The have no commercials and no worthless talk shows and play a good mix of classic hard rock and heavy metal from the late 60's up to the new stuff, but no garbage like pearl jam or linkin park.

Lately I've been listening to the new album from Metallica
and The Pretty Reckless
The singer is Taylor Momsen who was the little girl who played Cindy Lou Who in the grinch who stole x-mas movie.

As for the so called country music, I might give it a try if some day I wake up with a sudden urge to move to West Virginia and marry my sister. Otherwise, I'll stick to hard rock and thrash metal. As they say, rap is crap, and if it ain't thrash, it's trash.

Last edited by 05RedFX4; 01-15-2017 at 10:16 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:35 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I've stumbled across a few bands out of Texas that plays decent music like Texas Hippie Coalition

and of course Pantera

Old 01-16-2017, 10:47 AM
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Being an old guy I find it's hard to beat the previous generation of country singers. George Strait..Alan Jackson and yes Garth Brooks. Not the greatest music on Sirius for country music so I've been listening to more on Pandora for the older country songs.

Here's one by George that's worth a listen.

Quick Reply: Anyone else fed up with Country Radio?