Underwater Diving

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 09:52 AM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Underwater WELDER

We were having a discussion about the life expectancy of underwater WELDING. Ive seen everything from max age is 36 to dive. Any info?

Last edited by squirtbottle09; 04-01-2009 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Forgot to add welder
Old 04-01-2009, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by squirtbottle09
We were having a discussion about the life expectancy of underwater diving.
Say what? I did not realize underwater diving was alive.

Are you trying to ask what is the maximum age some one can be and still dive?

Are you trying to ask if divers have a shorter than normal life expectancy?

No way for us to know what info you are looking for when the question does not make any sense.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:07 AM
Suspended
Haha smart ***. I was talking to a bunch of people when I typed it. What is the life expectancy of an underwater diver? How much is their life shortened, if any? Is there a ratio to time spent underwater to life shortened.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:11 AM
If you run out of air, pretty short.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:36 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, Cousteau lived to 87, and his sons are still alive (except one who died in a plane crash) and still diving.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by squirtbottle09
Haha smart ***. I was talking to a bunch of people when I typed it. What is the life expectancy of an underwater diver? How much is their life shortened, if any? Is there a ratio to time spent underwater to life shortened.
Adults can go on recreational dives at any age, provided they're in good health. I've known of people diving in their 80s.

As far as commercial work, it's usually pretty demanding so I'd wager most of em call it quits by their mid 40s. At that point they can continue working as supervisors or other Topside jobs.

As far as reducing life expectancy, I don't believe being underwater (ie pressurized) reduces your life span. I know commercial divers who are now in their late 50s, early 60s and are going strong. One of those guys spent more than 30 days at pressure while working in the North Sea.

If anything, I'd say it's the work hard, party harder lifestyle of smoking, drinking, staying up all night, etc that many commercial divers have that would reduce their life expectancy.

- NCSU

By the way, do you know any above water divers?

Old 04-01-2009, 01:29 PM
maybe you mean underwater welder? They have life exp. considerably shorter than regular ppl...im guessing that would be the same though right?

Old 04-01-2009, 09:13 PM
Suspended
Whoa I have alot on my mind. There was supposed to be the word welder in at least one of my posts. I will probably get more answers now that I can ask my correct question.

Do underwater welders have a shorter life span?

Old 04-01-2009, 10:35 PM
there are all sorts of problems...

rish of electric shock as well as nitrogen accumulating in the welders' bloodstream from the high pressure just to name a couple

Old 04-02-2009, 07:52 AM
Originally Posted by achap
there are all sorts of problems...

rish of electric shock as well as nitrogen accumulating in the welders' bloodstream from the high pressure just to name a couple
Both of those things could cause immediate death or injury. Nitrogen in your blood isn't by itself a harmful thing. If you don't offgas/decompress properly, then yes, it can become a huge problem. Squirt, do you want to know about long term effects that could lead to a decreased life span, or are you wanting to know how dangerous the job is?

A job can be incredibly dangerous, but not necessarily expose you to conditions that would limit your odds of living till a ripe old age.

One job that reduces life expectancy that comes to mind is coal mining back in the day. Those guys didn't do anything to protect themselves from the crap they were breathing in every day. Even if they weren't injured or killed during their daily routine, after long term exposure they could get Black Lung, which would affect the rest of their lives. It's not like they walked into the mine for a week and came out with Black Lung.

As long as you aren't stupid, and stay safe, there shouldn't be any long term side affects from welding underwater. Sure, the work is demanding, difficult, and dangerous to boot. If you're good, you'll live plenty long enough to hang out with your grandkids.

- NCSU

Last edited by NCSU_05_FX4; 04-02-2009 at 08:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Underwater Diving