Right to protect self in home (KY)

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 12:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right to protect self in home (KY)

I had heard on on the radio that in OH, you can't just shoot an intruder in your own home...but you CAN in KY. I live in KY. Can any other KY resident point out to me a link to the law in KY that speaks to this issue? Just curious. Should I ever find myself in this situation (hopefully I won't), it would be nice to know what my options are. I'd hate to have to debate on what I should do...I'd just assume act instead of think about it.

Thanks

Old 06-26-2006, 12:22 PM
Ah, if there was only a link to common sense.

But alas............

Old 06-26-2006, 12:39 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Note to self:

Don't break into lariatf150's house... Hi neighbor!

The only thing I can suggest is to start dredging KRS Statues

Good luck! I dredge those damn things enough from an environmental perspective... I don't wish searching the regulations on anyone but, if you're up to it, have at it!

Old 06-26-2006, 12:41 PM
I'll see if I can find it in a search. Thanks

Old 06-26-2006, 12:51 PM
If you ever feel that your life or the life of your loved ones is in eminent danger, empty the magazine. State or Commonwealth law be damned.

Some states say that a victim has the duty to retreat from an agressor until all options are exhausted, then you can fight back. Others won't let you legally fight back even if someone is doing atrocious acts to or on you. The best states have what is known as the 'Castle Doctrine', it's a great thing. My home is my castle and any unauthorized entry with credible intent to commit an illegal act means you can legally use deadly force. I prefer to call it common sense, but 'Castle Doctrine' works for me.

Old 06-26-2006, 12:54 PM
Check out www.kc3.com

It should have some good info for you. You have the right to protect yourself where ever you are, almost.

Last edited by Spargo2; 06-26-2006 at 12:57 PM.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:56 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by lariatf150
I had heard on on the radio that in OH, you can't just shoot an intruder in your own home...but you CAN in KY...
That's true about Ohio.
That's why so many Ohioans live within 300 meters of the KY border.
Intruder breaks in, Ohioan beats feet across the State Line to KY and legally empties a clip into his house.

Old 06-26-2006, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by Raoul
That's true about Ohio.
That's why so many Ohioans live within 300 meters of the KY border.
Intruder breaks in, Ohioan beats feet across the State Line to KY and legally empties a clip into his house.

Iron sights or a scope?

Old 06-26-2006, 01:02 PM
Found a few things. I think it's now law...from what I can tell.

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/RECORD/06RS/HB236.htm

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/...0104/603190406

http://www.stateline.org/live/ViewPa...ntentId=107276

The only member of the Kentucky Senate to vote against his state’s new self-defense law was state Sen. Ernesto Scorsone (D), a Lexington, Ky., criminal defense attorney for more than 30 years. He said the statute would only make it more difficult to prosecute people who use inappropriate force.

"It's perfectly clear in Kentucky that you have a right to self-defense. The purpose of this bill was to sanction the use of firearms in all kinds of disputes, and that does not further public safety," Scorsone said.
I do agree in some cases some idiot could use the law as a shield when he is in fact wrong/used the law to harm/kill someone for no good reason. But, I think the main purpose of the law is good for people like me (and wife and son) that simply want to sleep peacefully at night and if I awake to some moron busting in my house, then he shall be shot first and asked why he's in my house (if he's still able to speak).

Last edited by lariatf150; 06-26-2006 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:04 PM
PA is kind of the same way. I was always told in the event of smoking someone in my house to state the following:

1. Good evening officer
2. The intruder had a weapon
3. I was in fear of my life as well as my family's
4. I would like an attorney

The whole has or has no weapon thing gets kind of tricky.

OFF TOPIC

Hey RP - what do you do for a living?

I work as an environmental engineer at a small consulting firm in Northwest PA. God I wish I would have become a truck driver or something. Been at it for 13 years.

BACK ON TOPIC

If I feel that I will or am being harmed to the point where I can no longer defend myself or my family, the dude is getting every last round from my M&P 40. I have always taught my wife (who happens to be a very good shot) to keep pulling the trigger until the slide locks back and THEN RUN.

This is only my opinion and I'll probably take some flak (flame suit on)

TC

Old 06-26-2006, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by PONY_DRIVER
If you ever feel that your life or the life of your loved ones is in eminent danger, empty the magazine. State or Commonwealth law be damned.

Some states say that a victim has the duty to retreat from an agressor until all options are exhausted, then you can fight back. Others won't let you legally fight back even if someone is doing atrocious acts to or on you. The best states have what is known as the 'Castle Doctrine', it's a great thing. My home is my castle and any unauthorized entry with credible intent to commit an illegal act means you can legally use deadly force. I prefer to call it common sense, but 'Castle Doctrine' works for me.
x2

Old 06-26-2006, 01:36 PM
Ain't no stinkin' law gonna tell me that I can't protect my family or myself if some dumbazz breaks into my home. That's got to be the craziest thing I've ever heard. It's like they're taunting robbers/stalkers to go break into people's homes because it's against the law to shoot a perpetrator. Go ahead...make my day.

Old 06-26-2006, 01:40 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Breaking into a house in Ohio is easy.
All you got to do is stay away from the windows that face Kentucky.

Old 06-26-2006, 01:51 PM
Peacemaker

You would fit in well with my friends. They are firm believers in shoot now, shoot later, shoot some more and then ask questions.

Most of my friends and family live in rural settings. It would take forever for an officer to show up and provide assistance. This is why a have a CWP.

Old 06-26-2006, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by TPC11
Peacemaker

You would fit in well with my friends. They are firm believers in shoot now, shoot later, shoot some more and then ask questions.

Most of my friends and family live in rural settings. It would take forever for an officer to show up and provide assistance. This is why a have a CWP.
There's very little time to think when someone's breaking in your house to either rob you or kill you. I wouldn't take the time stop them and politely ask them what the hell they're doing unless I could see that it was an elderly person that had Alzeihmer's and didn't know where on Earth they were. They might have lived in my house 15 years ago and thought it was still their home, so they just let themselves in. I've actually had that happen before, believe it or not.

Quick Reply: Right to protect self in home (KY)