F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Got me a superduty

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 04:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got me a superduty

Hi all, So I finally got my dream truck ,2002 f-250 scab short bed 4x4 automatic 7.3 xlt with 130k on the clock and its bone stock. (pics to come).

So for starters i'm going to do all my maintenance (oil change, fuel filter, air filter, grease everything, needs a rear diff cover, and few other bits of TLC)

My question's are:
What weight/type of engine oil
What rear end oil
Anything else I should know?

And I have found a few problems so far, my 4x4 is very slow to respond(ESOF) and every now and then when I tried to shift it my a/c would stop blowing out the vents and switch to defrost(witch on my f-150 meant vacuum leak, but im new to diesels and don't know, or know where to look)

Also the fuel gauge seems flutter between full and 3/4 even when sitting still, was wondering what that could be.

Other then that im loving it and hope to keep it around a long time. Only put 40 miles on it so we will see what else creeps up.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:45 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Nice!

As you may have noticed, the ESOF trucks have vacuum pulsed hubs with a manual override lock position. Common for the vacuum hoses paralleling the brake lines to crack, or the vacuum controller to fail. If the climate control system is otherwise working, the electric vacuum pump since diesels don't draw a vacuum like a gasser is most likely fine. You can either find the leak, or plug the lines off and switch to standard manual hubs.

Some guys like Shell Rotella, but I've only used Motorcraft. Do not use gas engine oil, as the hipressure oil pump will turn the detergents to soap suds. 15W40 is the summer/heavy towing oil. I've run it in the PA winters no problem, but some guys switch to lighter. If it is below 32, I plug it in with a timer set three hours before planned starts.

The mighty 7.3L will be out horsepowered by the newer rigs, but they have no problem when it counts with high torque towing, and respond very well to some nice little performance mods.

I recommend watching all the 7.3L videos over on http://www.youtube.com/user/powerstrokehelp

Welcome to the world of powerstrokin'. Less messy then dodge cummin'...

Adrianspeeder

Old 07-06-2013, 09:15 AM
Cool got some movies to see now.

Im thinking the truck sat a long time. When I first got it I couldn't move the 4x4 hubs but now there freeing up. I tried my 4x4 about 10 times in and out last nite and there is no issue. Is it possible that just after some use they could free up or fix themselves? I will probably change that vacuum line going to the hubs anyway as it looks pretty easy to do.

Also what about transmission fluid. It is a little dark and always heard horror stories of if its burnt don't change it, but I was thinking drop the pan and just do the filter and the 4-5 quarts in the pan and then repeat after a few thousand miles.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:32 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Sweet....waiting for pics.....

Old 07-06-2013, 11:32 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by dirtrider596979

Also what about transmission fluid. It is a little dark and always heard horror stories of if its burnt don't change it, but I was thinking drop the pan and just do the filter and the 4-5 quarts in the pan and then repeat after a few thousand miles.
The 4R100 is pretty much the same as an E4OD that preceded it. The myth of changing "bad" fluid with new and causing 'er to blow I feel is BS, and it would blow anyway weather they change the fluid or not. The E4OD/4R100 are tough units, but if overheated will live only a short life. Add the cooler from the same era V10 trucks if you want more cooling capacity. I did that about 10 years ago now, and trans temps stay under 200.

For changing fluid on any of the new units added to my fleet with unknown service records, I pull off a cooler line from the radiator, idle the engine with the pump doing all the work to get as much out from the TC, valve body, and pan. Then drop the pan mess free, change filter, and refill.

Back in the day it was specifically written to not put Mercon V in the E4OD/4R100, and only use Mercon/Dexron III. When Motorcraft discontinued Mercon, it was rewritten that Mercon V is good to go in all the books. Fawk that, and I just use Castrol Mercon/Dexron III.

You got me missin' drivin' my ole 7.3L with this thread. The 6.4L has pretty much had her parked for over a year now. Last I used the 7.3L for towing was in 2010.

Adrianspeeder

Last edited by adrianspeeder; 07-06-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:53 PM
Well it only took a week but heres some pics I took at the deaer

Been busy fixing little things on it all week. Both rear lower door latches were rusted inplace. (one stuck open, one stuck closed) and of course all my maintence. Oil change, air filter and fuel filter done, every grease zerk greased. The 4x4 hubs weren't working right so I took them apart, cleaned and greased them so there better but still need to be replaced. Also the vacumm solenoid is leaking so that's whrere the a/c problem is. Rear diff cover and trans service is next up.

Last edited by dirtrider596979; 07-13-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very nice... Sharp color choice... Fixing little things now prevents major service later... Good luck and enjoy the ride...

Old 07-13-2013, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by jdruzik
Very nice... Sharp color choice... Fixing little things now prevents major service later... Good luck and enjoy the ride...
Thanks, ya kno, I wasn't crazy on the color but its growing on me. I plan on starting my own boat repair service soon(why I needed a diesel) and most boats are mostly white, so it will look awesome pulling any boat.

Quick Reply: Got me a superduty