F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

F150 trade for Powerstroke

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 09:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F150 trade for Powerstroke

I might have a chance to trade my 99 F150 XLT 4x4 with the 5.4 for a 97 Powerstroke.

Info on my truck:
XLT Stepside extended cab with lariat seats front and back.
Power locks/windows/seat.
5.4 with 150K miles.
Plugs, all fluids, water pump, brakes, ball joints were all done within the last year.
New Battery.
I've ran synthetic in it for the last year.
4x4 works great.
Have a CAI, Roll bar with lights, light behind grill, 35" tires, turbo muffler into a 4" tip out the side. Those are the only aftermarket parts.
Good running turck!!
BAD: rockers are rusted through, need replaced. Usual odometer lights go out.

Info on powerstroke:
97 regular cab.
Has lift with 35" tires.
270K miles.
No leaks, turbo was just rebuilt.
Tranny was recently rebuilt.
injectors have bigger bore with stock nozzle.
Has a chip that plugs into the computer but it went bad, will need replaced if you want more power.
3 guages, exhaust, boost, trans temp.
has superduty intercooler.
new glow pulgs with valve cover gaskets.
powertracs loc right posi unit in rear.
Newer set of batteries.

Thats all the info I have.

Going from a extended cab to single cab will be tough. I've always read/seen the powerstrokes last well into the upper 300K or 400K+ area if taken care off. As for the F150 well in to the 230K+ mark.

Really looking for opinions if you would do the trade? If not why?

Anything I should look at or check out on the powerstroke? Anything I should ask him that would throw out flags to stay away?

Thanks for the input.

PS: After driving it to work in the winter, and leaving it unplugged for 8 hours in the winter months, will that give me issues trying to start it when it's time to go home?

Old 01-23-2012, 09:52 AM
lots of miles on that diesel. IMO your runing from one problem to another. Do you tow anything big that warrants a diesel? take in mind your going to get worse mpg and diesel is going to cost anywhere from 50 cents to a dollar more a gallon right now. 100 buck oil changes, $50 fuel filter changes twice a year With a lift and 35's i bet that thing gets 10mpg. I dont know what tank is in that old one but if its a 36 gallon that thing will cost you 140-160 bucks a fill up.

As far as plugging it in. Diesel is cut with kerosene or something else which aids in NOT gelling from like NOV-MAR. In my experience plugging is not necessary until you get into single digits and below, and at that point set your truck on a timer and have it run 3-4hour before your leave in the morning. As far as being at work I never had an issue over 8hours. if its super cold you might look into hookin up at work. Take in mind these take quite a bit of electricity.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:08 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Hmm, I hate the look of '97-'03 F-150s, so I'd trade it away for an old body style for sure. Looks like all the common fail points have been upgraded and swapped. If it is a 250, I don't like the Dana 50 TTB with a lift, but if it is a 350 with the solid 60, go for it.

Adrianspeeder

Old 01-23-2012, 10:46 AM
I really dont tow much. occasional 4 wheelers but that's abou it.
I have 35" tires on my F150, so mileage on it sucks even more.

I've always heard that diesels are more consistent with mileage even after adding larger tires etc. Is that not the case?

I'm going guess the diesel will be better on gas than my 5.4 with the same size tires.

I will agree, the 270K is a bit scary. Especially since I've done a lot of maintenance on my F150 and its solid to my knowledge.

The Powersroke is actually the body style of pre 97...but is a 97. The boxy style vs the style I have.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:49 AM
From my reading the tranny's are usually the weak point. He has paperwork on the tranny rebuild. Injectors were done so that's a plus.

It also has the floor shifter vs the electronic 4x4....I think I like that much more. Less that can go bad when you need it.

How long does the injector pump usually last? I hear folks turn them up to get more power? I think that's what it's called. If I recall those can be pricey.

Keep your thoughts coming.
Thanks,

Old 01-23-2012, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by Midnightride42
I really dont tow much. occasional 4 wheelers but that's abou it.
I have 35" tires on my F150, so mileage on it sucks even more.

I've always heard that diesels are more consistent with mileage even after adding larger tires etc. Is that not the case?

I'm going guess the diesel will be better on gas than my 5.4 with the same size tires.

I will agree, the 270K is a bit scary. Especially since I've done a lot of maintenance on my F150 and its solid to my knowledge.

The Powersroke is actually the body style of pre 97...but is a 97. The boxy style vs the style I have.
Diesels are more constant, they do have variantion but not like a gas engine does. I would bet on a diesel you see about the same or not less than the 5.4 I wouldnt say better. Just get a gas engine with better gears 3.73 and even 3.93s will do the trick if not 4.10s. You wont truly understand the main the cost of a diesel until you get one specially an older one. IMO if your not towing dont get a diesel, one with that many miles and the cost to make it go from point a to b will be a long road to travel down. To top it off if you dont like or keep it a few years you will find it hard to get rid of. Once that engine or tranny blows it will only be worth scrap at that point.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by nards444
lots of miles on that diesel. IMO your runing from one problem to another. Do you tow anything big that warrants a diesel? take in mind your going to get worse mpg and diesel is going to cost anywhere from 50 cents to a dollar more a gallon right now. 100 buck oil changes, $50 fuel filter changes twice a year With a lift and 35's i bet that thing gets 10mpg. I dont know what tank is in that old one but if its a 36 gallon that thing will cost you 140-160 bucks a fill up.

As far as plugging it in. Diesel is cut with kerosene or something else which aids in NOT gelling from like NOV-MAR. In my experience plugging is not necessary until you get into single digits and below, and at that point set your truck on a timer and have it run 3-4hour before your leave in the morning. As far as being at work I never had an issue over 8hours. if its super cold you might look into hookin up at work. Take in mind these take quite a bit of electricity.
I agree with most of what you said, other than the fuel filter statement. $50 for a fuel filter change??? Motorcraft fuel filters are $25-30 all day long, and only need changing every 15k miles, so once a year for average driving.

For cold starts, as long as you have good batteries and a properly working glow plug system, you shouldn't have any issues after sitting at work, especially if you switch to 5w40 synthetic.

With 35s, depending on gearing and how he drives, I bet he can pull off 14-16 MPG on average. I get 16.5 on the highway at 75 with my 35s and 3.73s.

Originally Posted by Midnightride42
How long does the injector pump usually last? I hear folks turn them up to get more power? I think that's what it's called. If I recall those can be pricey.

Keep your thoughts coming.
Thanks,
This isn't a Cummins, you can't just "turn up the pump". These trucks have a high pressure oil pump, commonly called a HPOP. A good entry level performance pump is in the $900 range.

Where were the injectors done at? Any specs on them? I find it hard to believe that somebody would redo them and not put larger nozzles in. If he says anything like "75 horse, 100 horse, etc" kick him in the junk and walk away.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:06 AM
Originally Posted by Zaairman
I agree with most of what you said, other than the fuel filter statement. $50 for a fuel filter change??? Motorcraft fuel filters are $25-30 all day long, and only need changing every 15k miles, so once a year for average driving.

For cold starts, as long as you have good batteries and a properly working glow plug system, you shouldn't have any issues after sitting at work, especially if you switch to 5w40 synthetic.

With 35s, depending on gearing and how he drives, I bet he can pull off 14-16 MPG on average. I get 16.5 on the highway at 75 with my 35s and 3.73s.

This isn't a Cummins, you can't just "turn up the pump". These trucks have a high pressure oil pump, commonly called a HPOP. A good entry level performance pump is in the $900 range.

Where were the injectors done at? Any specs on them? I find it hard to believe that somebody would redo them and not put larger nozzles in. If he says anything like "75 horse, 100 horse, etc" kick him in the junk and walk away.
Thanks for the pump info!! I wasn't sure if the powerstrokes have that ability. I knew I had read about it somewhere.

I asked him about the injectors too before posting on here as he mentioned the chip is bad and needs a new one. I asked if the truck still runs ok with having larger injectors and the chip being bad.

He stated they are Stage1 injectors with the stock nozzle. Said the truck runs fine like it is, but if wanted the extra power you would need to get a new chip/tune to be able to use the upgraded injector ability.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by Zaairman

You are probably right on the filter on ones that old. on the 08 I had they were 65 bucks for the set and recommened every 10k, specially in winter in the north.

Quick Reply: F150 trade for Powerstroke