F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

6.0 block heater plug wiring

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 09:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.0 block heater plug wiring

The plug on my buddy's 03 6.0 block heater has damaged wiring. Was going to buy a plug from Lowes and repair it. Does anyone know the correct wiring for the plug? Nothing in the owners manual or a Haynes manual or a search on this forum or through Google

Thanks!

Old 11-06-2010, 02:13 PM
its a lot easier to just get a replacement plug from the dealer. clips on and off easily.

Old 11-06-2010, 02:31 PM
Plug as in the entire wiring harness from the block forward?

The plug is weather sealed and it does not clip anywhere. The wires go into the back of the plug, other than cutting and splicing there is no other way to replace just the plug.

Going to the dealer for a new harness seems expensive and unnecessary, but thank for the suggestion.

Old 11-06-2010, 04:04 PM
Center is ground and the outside are positive and neutral.

Old 11-06-2010, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by pgh_medic
The plug is weather sealed and it does not clip anywhere.
it clips to the block heater where it is installed in the engine. the harness is approx 3ft long. it is just the plug. nothing extra or fancy. i have replaced them often on the trucks at work from being continuously plugged in through the winter. if ya cant undo a spring clip from the heater and pull the harness out of the engine bay you should be brought out back behind the barn and shot.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by papajohn
it clips to the block heater where it is installed in the engine. the harness is approx 3ft long. it is just the plug. nothing extra or fancy. i have replaced them often on the trucks at work from being continuously plugged in through the winter. if ya cant undo a spring clip from the heater and pull the harness out of the engine bay you should be brought out back behind the barn and shot.
If youre stupid enough to buy an entire new harness and not just replace the plug on the end your not even worth the bullet.

Last edited by pgh_medic; 11-06-2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:41 PM
Green wire is ground, the other two don't really matter, although technically I think the black wire goes to the silver and white wire goes to the gold. As long as the green is in the center, or ground, it will work.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by taterthedog
Green wire is ground, the other two don't really matter, although technically I think the black wire goes to the silver and white wire goes to the gold. As long as the green is in the center, or ground, it will work.
Thank you, this is what I was looking for.

I have done home electrical so I know black is power and goes to brass and white to silver, etc. I only briefly looked at the plug last night and it was dark. It had some wire loom on it that I stripped off, but under that it looked like black lamp cord (3 wires all side by side.)

I wasnt sure if there were colored wires under the black or not.

Old 11-06-2010, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by pgh_medic
If youre stupid enough to buy an entire new harness and not just replace the plug on the end your not even worth the bullet.
if you cant spend $15.46 for this part you cant afford the bullet. besides its all sealed up and waterproof unlike a "replacement" end which will be out in the elements collectin all the crud waiting to short out your harness when you plug it in for that last time

Old 11-06-2010, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by papajohn
if you cant spend $15.46 for this part you cant afford the bullet. besides its all sealed up and waterproof unlike a "replacement" end which will be out in the elements collectin all the crud waiting to short out your harness when you plug it in for that last time
They have this new product that just came out, super cool, its called Silicone. Some crazy scientists invented it, supposedly it makes things water tight when used correctly.

My buddy (who owns the truck) already has a plug, and I have tons of Silicone, so this will cost a grand total of $0! Looks like more money to spend on bullets!

Thanks to those whom info, was helpful.

Quick Reply: 6.0 block heater plug wiring