Magnapack true duals vids...and a concern.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 09:51 AM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Magnapack true duals vids...and a concern.

I was able to throw together a couple of videos of my new exhaust set-up. I'll let you guys listen to them, and then I'll share my concern.

True dual exhaust with Magnflow hi-flow cats, Magnaflow x-pipe, Magnapacks, Magnaflow 4x18 tips, and 2.5" tubing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qln4TEQJRg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7BifQ4Il5E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnGSLH6L-Ig

Pardon the giggle on this one. I let my wife drive, and I was amused at her attempt at revving the engine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xubx_AYPbA

Don't know why this one is so 'vertical'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46gsM7si8rI

In-cab. And no...I don't believe the Gryphon's 0-60 time. Still...it's pretty quick for a brick!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRyptkUKTFY

If you want to see more, there are more under my username.

When I first heard the new set-up, I couldn't believe how much more ballsy it sounded than the old SI/DO Fartmaster set-up I had. The overall tone of the exhaust note is really nice and deep. You can actually 'feel' it! All of that is the 'good'.

Here is my concern. At times, it seems too quiet to me. When I was researching this topic, I came across a lot of videos and advice that convinced me this would not only have a better exhaust note, but that it would also be quite loud. The videos I took do no justice to the volume or the actual tone of the system, but even in person it seems quieter to me than the other videos I've heard. Make sense? Afterall, I have the exact same set-up as rlackey (except his tips are straight back), and you all know how loud HIS set-up is!

I think the silly Dolby system built in to the camera I used reduced or 'normalized' some of the volume. Maybe that's part of the issue. The only real time I've spent outside of the truck while she was running was during the short time that my wife drove it for one of those videos. It actually sounded good both in volume and in tone then.

So it could be a few things, I guess. Needs to be broken-in? The Dolby system in the camera is quietening it? Or...and this is entirely possible...I'm over-thinking it. What do you guys think?

Old 02-27-2012, 10:21 AM
Dude,

I was actually impressed with the sound quality of both the video and your exhaust. A lot of the vids it seems like you have to listen beyond all the other noise picked up by the camera to hear the exhaust note. We video our skeet shooting a lot and a gun doesnt sound like a gun on camera. With that in mind, the sound of that set up on video has me wondering if I wont be replacing the sido I'm getting put on tomorrow in a few months! I know what you're talking about when you mention you can feel it, trouble is, i have a new baby due in May and I don't want the baby to feel it. I played bass guitar for a lot of years, and you're always striving for that perfect tone that you hear in your head, to me its the same with an exhaust note. Louder is good, but if the tone sucks, what do you really have? IMHO you have both.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:30 AM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Originally Posted by Remingtonry
Dude,

I was actually impressed with the sound quality of both the video and your exhaust. A lot of the vids it seems like you have to listen beyond all the other noise picked up by the camera to hear the exhaust note. We video our skeet shooting a lot and a gun doesnt sound like a gun on camera. With that in mind, the sound of that set up on video has me wondering if I wont be replacing the sido I'm getting put on tomorrow in a few months! I know what you're talking about when you mention you can feel it, trouble is, i have a new baby due in May and I don't want the baby to feel it. I played bass guitar for a lot of years, and you're always striving for that perfect tone that you hear in your head, to me its the same with an exhaust note. Louder is good, but if the tone sucks, what do you really have? IMHO you have both.
Thankee, sir! I certainly appreciate the kind words.

You're a musician too, huh? So, you know how it is. Regardless of how 'good' you're sounding, you always wonder if it's good enough. Sometimes it sucks being so particular (my wife calls it being '****').

Again, I appreciate the compliments!

FWIW, I do think the si/do setup with the same muffler will be a touch louder than the true dual setup.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by DewserB
Thankee, sir! I certainly appreciate the kind words.

You're a musician too, huh? So, you know how it is. Regardless of how 'good' you're sounding, you always wonder if it's good enough. Sometimes it sucks being so particular (my wife calls it being '****').

Again, I appreciate the compliments!

FWIW, I do think the si/do setup with the same muffler will be a touch louder than the true dual setup.
HaHa, **** is probably the kindest term I hear. I am VERY particular with pretty much everything and I don't stop "tinkering" until it's perfect in my eyes. At least I can honestly say I do it to impress myself...pretty much annoys everyone else! I have a 3yr old daughter and you can already see that part of me in her, toys have to be arranged a certain way before bed, if she gets food on her shirt she has to change the whole outfit...

Old 02-27-2012, 11:35 AM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

I did an experiment.

I made a video with the iPoo (nods to MGDfan), and I placed it in the direction of one of the pipes. It seems to have made a difference. Seems louder in this video than any I've taken so far.

This is a cold start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiDRcPshs6s

Old 02-27-2012, 11:48 AM
I think it sounds great man!

Old 02-27-2012, 11:58 AM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Thank ye, good sir!

Old 02-27-2012, 12:44 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Shoot! I meant to do this earlier...

Here's a 'before and after' comparison:

Before (SI/DO Flowmaster 40 Series)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUNchr3V9Us

After (You know what it is! )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiDRcPshs6s

Old 02-27-2012, 12:51 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
sounds good! it will get louder once the mufflers break in after a couple thousand miles.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:57 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Thanks, man!

Old 02-27-2012, 04:38 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
It's a lot deeper than it was on mine, but I had smaller pipes, tips, and engine. Give it a while to break in.

Sounds real smooth man

Old 02-27-2012, 04:50 PM
Sounds good!
Like others have stated, give it some miles to break in. It will def. get louder.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:53 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Thank you, Punisher! It is definitely much deeper and smoother sounding at all RPM's than the Flowdisaster was. And it really is quite a bit louder in person than in the videos.

I think the iPhone videos are actually louder. So I'll try to make more videos with that. Plus, I'm going to take new videos on less traveled roads. On a few occasions, the road noise from other drivers was getting picked up very heavily and making it harder to hear my exhaust.

Thanks a million for all your help and advice. You're good people!

Old 02-27-2012, 06:43 PM
Sounds good man!

Old 02-27-2012, 07:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds good! Just remember that those mufflers will break in and get a little louder over time.

Quick Reply: Magnapack true duals vids...and a concern.