whats best performance exhaust setup for my truck?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 08:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb whats best performance exhaust setup for my truck?

hey all looking into getting my exhaust done, I tow very little, only a dirtbike in the bed of the truck. I seldom tow. I want your opinions for an exhaust set up and whats best for performance wise. I wont be doing any internal engine mods or any boost at all. I just run bolt on mods, edge soon to be gryphon whenever I get all my other mods done so i can get me a tune for em. I have a CAI, U/D pullies, getting ready to fab my efan brackets up so they will be on there as well. Like I said no radical mods other than bolt ons. I want you fellas to tell me whats best for performance and maybe get some gas mileage if i can. I like a really really deep deep exhaust. I hate the popping cracking racking off that happens on decel sometimes. If you fellas can come to a decision based on my needs I'll follow your blueprint so to speak. I plan on buying headers, cats, x pipe, mufflers (something really deep and aggressive) and tips. I'm looking for a good gain all through the power curve, but if i cant gain somewhere i def dont wanna lose in the curve on what i have now. yeah but lets see what you geniuses decide on and part numbers please. oh one more thing.. could u also shoot me a website to use and any discount codes to use there? i really like performance peddler, but website doesnt matter if its cheaper. i really like the fact i can pay with paypal on performance peddler it helps tremendously believe me.. well lets hear it guys im putting my exhaust in your hands and i know i wont complain, i promise, just as long as its nothing crazy like an open header set up or pipes without mufflers or cats. oooops also i wanna keep o2 sensors and will prob go with gotts o2 mod im assuming i will have to use that? lemme know.. thanks alot for being here i probably woulda never had all of you to base my performance parts choices on if i wouldnt have found this place. who knows what kinda crap i woulda bought then.. but have fun designing!!

Old 04-10-2010, 08:22 PM
I say true dual it with either 14" maggies or cherrybomb extremes stay away from flowmaster if you dont like the poping. Then put high flow cats and either dump your exhaust or put tips on it

Old 04-10-2010, 08:24 PM
Technical Article Contributor

long tube headers, hi-flow cats, true dual bullets or borla, x or h pipe, and 3.5 or 4 inch tips.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:27 PM
well whatever the board all agrees on ill run, i hope u all can agree on an exhaust..

Old 04-10-2010, 08:30 PM

maggies are ok to, but I am biased to the bullets haha. steve, I have an 01 like yours(ext cab xlt) and if I did my full exhaust, I would do what I suggested.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by stevenminix
well whatever the board all agrees on ill run, i hope u all can agree on an exhaust..
We all will never agree, some like glass packs some like maggies its your truck you can youtube exhaust for an idea

Old 04-10-2010, 08:34 PM
lt's, highflows, x pipe rollin out borla pro xs's or 14" maggies oval bodies (or 18" if you want a little quieter, if i didnt tow so much i'd still be running a 18" maggie), with 4x18" tips comin out the back or sides. that would be everything you explained.

Last edited by Blue02FX4; 04-10-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:39 PM
for performance stay away from chambered mufflers

Old 04-10-2010, 08:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Borla Pro XS FTW! I love mine compared to the ole Flowmaster setup.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:59 PM
Yeah, for performance stay away from anything chambered. Chambered mufflers are for sound preference only when compared to straight through style mufflers.

Old 04-11-2010, 03:22 AM
So I really like obx LT headers, which are the best? I like the obx's, but should I run the resonators or not? Plus if I run high flows where should I buy em and what's the part number for most compact style and size ill need? I'd also love the part numbers to those borla mufflers. Oh should I run 2.25 inch or 2.5 inch pipe? I looked around and love the borlas deep tone I'm hoping they are a little louder in person though. Thanks for all the help. I'm hoping I can get all I need through performance peddler, since I am going to be selling somethings I don't need on ebay and what I make from that when it is put into my paypal account I can just pay with my exhaust from my paypal. If I run high flow cats will I need to use spark plug foulers on the o2 sensors I.E. Gotts o2 mod?

Last edited by stevenminix; 04-11-2010 at 10:46 AM. Reason: weird typo
Old 04-11-2010, 05:57 AM
Just as one more opinion I love my new set up. I noticed a real difference in the performance once installed an even picked up a small gain in MPG (that is if I can keep my foot off the floor). Heard good things about Borla as well.

Magnaflow true duals, stock cats (for now), 2.25 in / 2.50 out, H-pipe, Magnapack mufflers and 18" chrome over stainless rolled tips. Great low growl and you can definitely feel the increase in performance.

Last edited by Bigwheel; 04-11-2010 at 06:01 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:45 AM
Sounds good, yeah I'm trying to gain performance more than anything, but gas mileage as well. I'm going to be doing every little bolt on I can find, but won't be opening the engine up internally yet anyways. If I replace any internal ill be doing a whole engine rebuild and well I don't have the money to do that yet.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:34 AM

cats-94106 is the part # I think, you only need 2. I have heard the obx is the best lt kit to buy.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:09 PM
Borla Pro XS!

Quick Reply: whats best performance exhaust setup for my truck?