List of issues...BCM?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 02:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
List of issues...BCM?

Hey guys n gals.
I have a friend who is bringing his truck to me to look at.
2007 4 door F150 with all the luxury stuff.
Currently, it has headlights, and thats it. I wired in the tail lights to an aux fuse block I installed for the CB, light bar etc (he's a pilot car for oversize loads) to make it legal to drive.
Currently (including the rigged up tail lights) the following is acting weird...
Tail light issue. When on the stock wiring they blow a fuse. Work perfectly going to a 10 amp aux fuse.
No dash lights
No power door locks, either on the remote or the door switch
Radio stays on permanently.
In my mind, the thing that links ll these together would be the BCM. He said he looked behind the rear seat and there are just 2 plugs there, no module.
Any other place they would put it? I have Alldata, and it also lists it as being the same as the security module, located behind the rear seat.
I also suspect the light switch itself, although the radio and door locks kind of rule that out unless it's tied together.
I noticed a "Clifford" sticker on the door glass, so maybe an aftermarket alarm has screwed the pooch?
Any help on where to start is much appreciated. I have searched and found the wiring diagram for a new body style 2004 headlamp switch, guessing its the same?
Hopefully he will be here this weekend so I can dig into it.
Many thanks

Martin

Old 04-21-2016, 03:57 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
When on the stock wiring they blow a fuse.
Which fuse?

I noticed a "Clifford" sticker on the door glass, so maybe an aftermarket alarm has screwed the pooch?
Look under the dash around the steering column when you get the truck in and see.

I have searched and found the wiring diagram for a new body style 2004 headlamp switch, guessing its the same?
Nope, very different.

I wired in the tail lights to an aux fuse block
What were the SPECIFIC changes made? Once you change anything from stock, we don't know what is now different.
Radio stays on permanently.
Stock or aftermarket radio?

In my mind, the thing that links ll these together would be the BCM.
This truck doesn't have a BCM. It has a VSM (Vehicle Security Module) which controls power door locks, remote keyless entry (unless modified by aftermarket) and the panic alarm.

I also suspect the light switch itself, although the radio and door locks kind of rule that out unless it's tied together.
Might also be multiple faults unless all the symptoms began at the same time. You might need to dig a bit deeper for details.

Last edited by projectSHO89; 04-21-2016 at 04:10 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 04:08 PM
I will have to check which fuse, going off what they told me.
Will have a look myself for an alarm module, Tony said there was "a box" there though.....lol
I'll try to find a diagram for the 2007, thank you.
For the tail lights, I ran a jumper from the passenger side light to the driver side light, then ran a wire under the bed cover, then into the vehicle and it plugs into an auxiliary fuse. It was dark, cold and late! I wanted to take all the stock wiring out of the equation to get it some tail lights. All easily removable though when it gets here. Will solder everything back together when I get it figured out.
Stock stereo.
No BCM on this year? Weird, from what I'm used to wrenching on.
So the radio delay is built into the stereo? Power locks are on their own circuit? and so on?

Something I just got told... There was a "pop" from somewhere in the dash when it all went to crap. And the alarm was going off for no reason beforehand too.
I think my first course of action is to get the aftermarket alarm wiring diagram, and promptly rip it out and solder all OEM connections to where they were before.
The truck was doing great for @5months though, so will have to see what went bang....

Thank you
Martin

Old 04-21-2016, 04:16 PM
So the radio delay is built into the stereo?
The radio delay is via a relay in the CJB that is controlled by the instrument cluster.

Power locks are on their own circuit?
No, see prior. I was doing some edits when you posted.

I think my first course of action is to get the aftermarket alarm wiring diagram, and promptly rip it out and solder all OEM connections to where they were before.
Mine also.

Old 04-21-2016, 04:35 PM
So if Tony is right, and the VSM is missing..... Does a new one need programming for that individual vehicle or?

Old 04-21-2016, 04:43 PM
Just looked at diagrams on Alldata.
Lights and locks connected via the VSM. Wouldn't surprise me if the alarm installer hacked into the delay relay for the stereo......
Looks like we have some digging to do!
Thanks for the help thus far

Old 04-22-2016, 04:47 AM
*edit* I see now you were calling it body control module. I've seen a handful of names and acronyms for this unit lately. Also before anyone says it, the numbers (including the 5 digit keyless entry) won't help anyone, the module is out, a new one ordered and will need to be programmed by dealer. DO NOT post photos of this device with these numbers if you are still using the unit. Not that I don't trust this site, but someone could potentially gain access easily to your vehicle with this info!

I can say with a fair degree of certainty that there is a body security module. I'm having issues with a bad draw, and found this guy clicking away in my 2008 F150. It's also called the BSM in the manual.

Name:  20160420_185617_1.jpg
Views: 10885
Size:  462.4 KB

Last edited by ryan42680; 04-22-2016 at 04:52 AM.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:46 AM
It's also called the BSM in the manual.
My factory service manuals for the 08 F150 still calls it the VSM. I do know that at some point, Ford changed to calling it the BCM when they integrated the CJB/SJB functions and VSM functions into a single module.

Last edited by projectSHO89; 04-22-2016 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:24 AM
According to the owner.....There are two plugs there, that's it!
Alldata also lists it as a VSM.

Last edited by leftlanetruckin; 04-22-2016 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:51 PM
I dunno...

Name:  20160422_163754.jpg
Views: 4637
Size:  408.3 KB

Middle of page:
Name:  20160422_164355.jpg
Views: 4797
Size:  490.6 KB

Old 04-22-2016, 04:52 PM
ProjectSho, my apologies, I just noticed you said factory. In any case, the actual module in my 08, and the owner's manual refer to it differently. Which could be very confusing seeing if you are the owner and you go to replace a part you may be calling at the wrong part and they would have no idea what you are referring to even though you are going off of the book that comes with your vehicle and the actual module that's in your vehicle

Old 04-22-2016, 04:59 PM
Thanks for that.
Are the fuse boxes known for having issues with these trucks?
I work on others where the fuse box goes bad after a number of years....

Martin

Old 04-23-2016, 01:21 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ford is not the best when changing owner documentation.
- Fuse and relay charts are know to be completely missing in Ford owners manuals ( EG: 1997/1998 ).

Some time in 2005 ( early 2006 ? ) Ford changed the naming in the factory service manual from BSM ( Body Security module ) to VSM ( Vehicle Security Module ).
- 2005 EVTM calls it a BSM, the 2006 EVTM version that I have calls it a VSM.
They are 1 in the same and if you order either a BSM or VSM you are going to get the same part.

Are you kidding me that the BSM/VSM was removed from the truck ?

If so, a lot of things do not work if it is an XLT or Lariat ( FX4-Lux ) type trim levels.
- Power door locks
- Door ajar indicators
- No remote Keyless Entry
- No autolamps.
- Door keypad if installed.

Make sure Tony knows where he should be looking for the BSM//VSM.
- He might still be looking for the RAP/CSM that the 00-03 had up under the dash.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:09 AM
It will be here today, so I'll get to digging.
Pretty much everything you listed, doesn't work though....lol
He said last night, when I asked about the Clifford alarm module that I think was installed, was ripped out after the alarm etc was going nuts.
May be a fun project....Not.

Cheers
Martin

Old 04-24-2016, 03:04 PM
Found the VSM tucked behind a panel.
Removed it and what a smell....
Fuse 6 was blown. So after unplugging the VSM, replaced the fuse, didnt blow.
Reconnected the tail lights, tested, working.
Dash lights also working.
Radio still live all the time, no power door locks on the button.
Pulled open the VSM....

Now to try to source a used one. I plugged it back in and immediately it started smoking. Dare say another minute or two the fuse would be gone again.
Any ideas on a replacement? What years will interchange? Need dealer programmed?
Cheers
Martin

Quick Reply: List of issues...BCM?