hello, i own a 2002 ford f-150, v8

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 11:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question hello, i own a 2002 ford f-150, v8

here is my problem, it started out that my battery was shot so we replaced it, then it was the alternator. so we bought one, things started looking good, til one day the battery needle went all the way down when trying to start the truck. so we tried cleaning the post and it started right up. and it was fine for 2 or 3 days . then it would start but battery needle would drop. couldn't run lights. I took it to advance, where they tested my battery and it tested good, but they said the alternator wasn't charging it. could my problem be a relay or fuse. im stomped. any help would be greatly appreciated. I used to work as a mechanic, some years ago, but not on anything past 2000. help,

Old 03-06-2014, 11:35 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Welcome!

Introduction Forum Introduce yourself to the Community here! If you have a technical question, try posting it in the appropriate forum.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:30 AM
Welcome!

Old 03-07-2014, 12:23 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
welcome, some of us (mainly me) come accross as abrupt, harsh and mean but we will help you if you're willing to learn

Old 03-07-2014, 12:32 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Your thread was in the "hello" forum, I took the liberty to move it to Electrical in hopes you will get more help from the experts.

Good to have you here.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:55 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Not too sure how Advance auto load tests a battery.
- If they charge it full before trying a load test, or just jump into a one size fits all load test.

Don't make too much of the issue, your skill set still applies to what you are seeing.

1. If you did not jump start the truck ( see clean posts and it started ) I don't see how it could be the alternator is not charging the battery.
- It would be dead in no time flat if that was the case.

2. When you get the no start, is it no crank no start or crank no start ?

3. In the problem condition, have you ever checked the battery voltage ?

4. In the problem condition, did you try neutral position or only park ?

don't flush your skill set, it is still the same basic condition Fuel - Air - Spark to make a motor run.
- There is a bit more involved in those items, but they are still there. The basic skills do transfer, don't doubt what you have.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:47 PM
hi sscully, thank you for your reply, first, the truck didn't do anything, no crank and no start, but we cleaned the battery posts with a shiny look and it started and ran good.
we just changed some badly blackened fuses, they looked to have been in there a long time, but were not blown. yes we checked the voltage but not in neutral.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:22 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Check the battery cable on the other end.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:22 PM
electrical problems

well I finally had to buy another battery and all was fine for a while. got in my truck this morn and it wouldn't start. so the battery was good, but I had checked and cleaned ever connection, from battery cables to the battery fusible link. and including breaking two terminal ends. so it started, and I took it for a ride, then twice It wouldn't start almost like it wasn't getting gas. the third time it started. when I got home, I shut it off and again it wouldn't start. so I put it on charge, but fell asleep, will have to start again tomorrow. hope you have answers. ive never seen any vehicle wired like this before. never had a fusible link for the battery, and the positive is connected to the starter cylanoid on the fire well, as well as to thestarter cylanoid on the starter. the negative is connected to the front of the transmission. so hope helps you to understand my truck better, thanks so much for shedding any light at the end of my tunnel of problems, scoopi321

Old 05-18-2014, 12:15 PM
dont know

I sure hope this is getting in the right place. now after charging the battery for an hour yesterday evening, we went out to start the truck and battery turns over fine but sounds like its not getting gas. help please scoopi321

Old 05-18-2014, 12:34 PM

OK, sounds like corroded and / or damaged terminal ends ( kind of hard to follow your posts ).

If the truck starts fine now, and now seems like a fuel delivery issue, that is a change up in the problem.

I would start by checking the fuel pressure at the injector rail.

When was the last time the fuel filter was changed ?

How old is the fuel in the tank ?

Did the truck run fine back in FEB or is this something you are just starting on now.
- Seems like there are multiple issues going on, just want to get some background on what the state of the truck was before the no crank no start issue. Is the truck a salvage, has it been sitting for a long time or what it on the road running perfect on 5-MAR-2014 ?

Old 05-18-2014, 01:30 PM
spark

hello, me again, now after checking every wire that has anything to do with the battery, and charged it for running battery low, now I have no spark, took a coil out to check for spark and none. I really need help, and if im not posting this in the right area I could use help there too. thanks scoopi321

Old 05-18-2014, 08:04 PM

Are you going to answer questions, or just keep posting random info ?

If you want just post random info, jsut say so, I'll leave you to it.
- If you want help, you are going to need to focus and answer questions.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:05 AM
answers

I apologize, I will answer your questions the best I can. we had checked and cleaned and tightened every wire and terminal ends . changed ends. we bought a new battery things seem great, then a heavy rain storm and truck didn't want to start, so now we got it started and now no spark.
first we bought the truck in October, so don't know how old filter is or how long fuel pump has been in tank without being changed. and on top of that, we found out that the truck had been totaled and rebuilt. nice huh? so yesterday after sitting half a day it started twice, the third time after starting it quit running immediately. im guessing crank shaft position censor.
its a 02, but ive never seen wiring on or around the battery like this one.
I don't know how to check fuel pressure, but I did check a coil to see if there was spark but no so I put it back. yes the truck ran great in Feb. seems like I had gotten taken for a ride with this truck. the first problem was oil pan gasket and the man I bought it from would fix that for nearly $400. I had no choice. hope this answers your questions, if you have any others feel free to ask, scoopi321

Old 05-26-2014, 05:54 PM
hi scully, I wanted to ask you if the anti-theft can be disabled as it is preventing me from starting my truck. I have tried everything, as also it appears that my new battery isn't in new condition so I need another one. thanks scoopi321

Quick Reply: hello, i own a 2002 ford f-150, v8