Door Switches/WD-40

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2003, 06:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Door Switches/WD-40

I've read the posts about WD-40 fixing the sticky door switches that control the interior lights, but I've used almost a full can on mine and the lights are always on unless I remove the bulbs. I removed the door panels and unplugged the switches and the lights still stayed on. Am I correct in thinking that the lights should be off with the switches unplugged or is that backwards. I'm guessing that the switches control a relay and they could be either normally open or normally closed switches.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

97 F150 Lariat

Old 02-15-2003, 07:04 PM
Make sure the dome light switch is not on.

Old 02-16-2003, 09:58 AM
Sometime you need to clean out the old grease with a degreaser like simplegreen first ! Then use a white lithium or the old WD-40(which isn't a lube anyway)

Old 02-20-2003, 08:11 PM
Door switch and WD40

OK ya'll, I tried the WD 40 and no luck. The interior lights will go off when I start driving, but the "Door Ajar" light on the dash stays on for up to an hour. Is there a general direction I should be spraying the WD 40? I'm spraying through the rubber grommet that surrounds the black curved guide that goes into the door frame. Does this sound right? Any help youse guys can give will be greatly appreciated. This is a great truck with an annoying problem.
PS I have a 1998 F-150 with an extended cab. The 3 door model.

CurtO

Old 02-21-2003, 07:37 AM
AB
CurrtO,
I usually spray into
1. The place where you're supposed to stick the key when you unlock the door. Inserting the WD40 straw as deep as I can and making some short shots while moving the straw out slowly.
2. Under the door handle
3. The door latch – the thing on the door side which actually keeps the door closed, brass in color
I'd never even touched any rubber grommet.
Hope that helps.
Alex

Old 02-21-2003, 05:42 PM
aaaahhh..did you ever think that it may be the passenger door thats giving you the problem?

Old 02-21-2003, 09:06 PM
Yup, I agree with TexfordD. If you're not getting the dinging when your keys are in the truck & the doors are shut, but the door ajar light & dome light are still on, it's the passenger side door giving you problems.

Good news, all that wd-40 in the drivers door latch isn't gonna hurt anything & will prevent that side from sticking in the near future.

Old 02-21-2003, 10:47 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks Alex, Texfrd and Medic, a little deeper into this thread the same topic is discussed and I discovered I was missing the "hot spot" I've been experiencing the "door ajar" while driving, the dome lights stay on while driving and the key dinger dinging when the doors are closed. All that is about to stop. I'm heading out to the garage now. Armed with a fresh 20 oz can of WD40

CurtO

Old 02-22-2003, 01:59 PM
Curt....

open the garage door and turn off the gas water heater first!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Door Switches/WD-40