'04 heated seat trouble

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 11:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 heated seat trouble

I have a 2004 Lariat with heated seats.
Recently the seat belt minder has been going off whether or not the seat belts were buckled. super annoying.
i got the wiring diagram for my truck and i cut the wires to bypass the sensor or whatever it is called. truck now thinks that seatbelts are always on/buckled up. which is fine because they are whenever i am driving the truck.
i first did the drivers side seat as i thought that was the culprit.
worked great til there was a passenger in the the truck.
so i did the passenger seat.
now no problem with regards to seat belts.
but now the heated seats dont work.
i know they worked last weekend, before i started messing with the seat belt wiring. but i find it hard to believe that cutting a total of four wires would irrepairabley mess up somethign to do with the seat heaters.
i even put the wiring back to original connections and still heaters do not work.
gonna go thru the wiring diagrams and see what i can figure out. electrical is not my speciality and i was leary about even attempting the seat belt fix.
getting cold out here, not sure which is worse. no seat heat or seat belt dinging for first 10kms of every time your in the truck.
driver side and passenger side seat heaters dont work.
push the button on the dash, the red light lights up but immediately turns back off.
so i think there is power.
checked the fuses and they all seem fine. think there was three to check?
are there switches? could they be stuck open? find it so weird that both went and same time.
searched the forum to no avail.
any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:54 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
DO the power seats themselves work ?

The symptoms are starting to sound like this thread's symptoms

https://www.f150online.com/forums/el...door-open.html

Old 09-20-2010, 01:21 PM
thanks for the tip on that thread. read thru it but it doesnt seem to help much.
just the heated seats dont work.
everythign else is fine as far as i am aware. power seats work for sure and everythign else that i checked.
light flashes when you push the button, but it wont stay on....

Old 09-21-2010, 03:42 PM
anyone? butt's getting cold in teh morning with these colder temperaturse.......

Old 09-21-2010, 06:18 PM

If the power seat works fine, and there is power at the heated seat controller, the only other thing I can think of with those symptoms is a broken element under the seat cover.

You would need to meter the seat element circuit to find if it is open or not.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:37 AM
the thing that bothers me is that both seats stopped working at the same time.
also if it was the elements, wouldnt the lights on the dash by the heated seat buttons stay on when you push the button.
when teh seats worked, you push teh button, two lights on, push the button again, one light on. signifying heat on high or low. lasted for ten minutes.
now i push the button, light flashes on for approx. one second, like it is thinking about working and then turns off again.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:04 AM

I am not sure what you cut where for the seat belts, what were the wire colors you cut on each side ? Is this when the heated seats stopped working ?

The driver's side is light blue w/ black stripe wire to brown w/ light blue stripe wire.
The passenger side is Light Blue w/ black stripe wire to Red w/ black stripe wire.

If you cut both of these on both sides, looks like you might have cut the seat sense circuit.

The seats have distance sensors ( to know how close the seat is to the steering wheel ) on the driver's side, seat belt indicators ( which are more than just the warning indicator ), and the passenger seat has a occupancy sensor that understand the minimum weight for the airbag ( think it is 61# to turn on the airbag ).

The status light is the confirmation that the function is happening, so if the heated seat is turned on, and the element is not found or the seat is empty, the heated seat module will turn the device back off again. Same method that the seat shuts off the seat heater when the heat has reached max setting ( so you do not roast the seat with a module that runs constant like some of the aftermarket ones will ).
The switch in the HVAC panel, pulses the Heated seat module ( those are momentary switches ) to turn on the heated seat module.
The heated seat module illuminates the number of LEDs on the switch.

Confirm what color wires you cut, and the better route ( to turn off the belt minders ) would be to repair the wires, and follow the procedure in the owners manual to turn off the seat belt warning.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:27 AM
for the driver's side i cut the black wire with light blue stripe and the brown wire with the light blue stripe.
for the passenger's side i cut the black wire with the light blue stripe and the red wire with the black stripe.
almost the same as what you mentioned above.
i was hoping to bypass the safety belt buckle switches.
when i wear my seatbelt, the truck doesnt recognize it and the ding ding ding happens. i tried to do the seat belt minder disable procedure from the manual. but it didnt work. my thinking was, that if it doesnt recognize when i am wearing my seat belt, how can you disable that by clicking and unclicking the seat belt?
i am sure cutting wires is not the correct way to solve the initial problem but i was hoping i could do it for cheap.
i swear i reconnected the wires to their original connections and still had the same problem with the heated seats. but i will check that tonight hopefully if this rain stops.
if i rewire to original, and heated seats work, is there a couple wires/locations for each seat that i could cut to just shut up the ding ding ding of the seat belt minder?
i really appreciate all your help. thanks.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:04 PM
just had a eureka! moment on my way back from lunch. ha.
if i understand your last reply correctly, the heated seat just flashes on and turns off if there is no one in the seat?
every time i have wired teh wires back to original, i have not been in the seat. i just reach in the cab, put the key in the ignition, start the truck, push the button and curse up a storm when it doesnt work...
i need to be sitting in the seat to test it when i have it back to original....
try it tonight.
would still like to know if there is a wire i could cut to disable the seat belt minder.
thanks.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:49 PM
so much for that. put all wires back to original again and sat in seat. heaters still doin the same thing. light just flashing. im lost. ideas anyone???? thanks.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:01 AM

Check that the seat element is not open is the next step.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:26 PM
again i am not the smartest when it comes to electrical stuff, can you tell me how to go about that? thanks.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:39 PM

The driver's side, unplug the heated seat module.

Check with a meter set to continuity or ohms, and meter :
Pin 6 yellow w/ light blue stripe wire
to
Pin 7 White w/ Light Blue stripe wire.

That is the series for the seat heater in the bottom and back as one circuit.

The diagram above shows what the diagram icons look like ( the square wave line )

Old 09-23-2010, 04:59 PM
hopefully give er a go tonight.....

Old 02-03-2011, 07:52 PM
i have a 2006 lariat and im having exactly the same problem as you with the heated seats. Light blinks on and no heat. just wondering if you resolved your problem?

Quick Reply: '04 heated seat trouble