Go Back   F150online Forums > Body > Electrical Systems
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Electrical Systems SPONSORED BY:

Old 07-19-2010, 03:22 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Ford F150
Interior lights, power windows, and Radio dont work.

Long story short while working on my truck I shorted out a wire to the dome light and now my Interior lights, power windows, and Radio dont work. I checked fuse 24 (Battery saver power for demand lamps) and tested good with an Ohm meter. Im going to stop by on the way home and buy a new one and replace anyways.

However for kicks Id thought Id ask if there could be any other fuses that could be causes all 3 of these issue that Im over looking? I read somewhere about a fuse/relay 304? (Battery Discharge Protection Relay) but dont see it in my manual. Im thinking theres another relay that runs them all but not sure which one it could be by looking off the owners manual.

Ive pretty much did the same thing this guy below did in this thread because he had the same 3 things not working also and pretty much short out his dome light as well. Ive sent him an e-mail to see how he fixed his truck but no response yet.

Quick question about the dome light in a XLT

Id apperciate any help on the matter!
Thanks!

• 2005 FX4
  • Gryphon LVL3/93 (Custom Tune by Bill)
  • 2" Autospring leveling kit
  • Nitto Terra Grappler 325/60/18
  • 18" Moto Metal 951 Chrome
  • Akebono/Front - Wagner TQ/Rear
  • Magnaflow SI/DO
  • K & N CAI (KN57-2556)
  • Westin Bull Bar/Nerf Bars/Driving Lights 5.75" Round
  • 15" Black Chrome Brillant Antenna
  • Grippin Chrome Door Handles
  • Roush Hood Scoop
  • Kenwood DNX7100

Last edited by F150FXOnline; 07-19-2010 at 03:24 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:17 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Vehicle: 2006 FORD F150
These are not all on the same fuse.

Fuse #24 feeds the battery saver relay ( relay 304 ) which powers the interior lamps. The coil is controlled by the instrument cluster.

The Power Windows and radio are on the accessory delay relay ( relay #02 ) :
output of the accessory delay relay to the radio is Fuse #22 and the output of the accessory delay relay to the power windows is fuse #401. The other side of the normally open contacts on the accessory delay relay is always hot, and the coil on this relay is controlled by the instrument cluster.

If you want to bypass the relay, to see if the items work, pull the relay, and jumper the normally open contacts as shown in the drawing below

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Have you done anything with the instrument cluster ( this is the item in common with both relays ). This includes removal or replacement for any reason ( overlay, LED bulb swap, etc ).
Old 07-19-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
These are not all on the same fuse.
Yes I know thats whats so odd how could it of blown 3 differant fuses? Ive checked fuse 24, 7, and few others anything that seemed related to all 3 power windows, lights, radio ect.

Quote:
Fuse #24 feeds the battery saver relay ( relay 304 ) which powers the interior lamps. The coil is controlled by the instrument cluster.
Im lost here are you saying that fuse 24 is the samething as relay 304? Im not sure what you mean when you say which powers the interior lamps. The coil is controlled by the instrument cluster.

Quote:
What do you mean here relay 2? Are you talking about the 02 relay mounted under the hood of the truck?

On fuse 22 my door locks work tho. On "401" I used a Ohm meter and tested good.

Quote:
output of the accessory delay relay to the radio is Fuse #22 and the output of the accessory delay relay to the power windows is fuse #401. The other side of the normally open contacts on the accessory delay relay is always hot, and the coil on this relay is controlled by the instrument cluster.

If you want to bypass the relay, to see if the items work, pull the relay, and jumper the normally open contacts as shown in the drawing below
Im not sure I understand all this and what your asking me to test or what. Sorry! : (
Im pretty confused right now and a truck in the garage with crap laying everywhere and not sure what to look for!

How this all started I took the black/blue wire thats ran under the driverside rail and pretty sure its tied into the dome light and grounded it by mistake. When I did the lights went out and as I started testing other stuff noticed the power windows and radio not working.

• 2005 FX4
  • Magnaflow SI/DO
  • K & N CAI (KN57-2556)
  • Roush Hood Scoop
  • Kenwood DNX7100
Old 07-19-2010, 05:14 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Vehicle: 2006 FORD F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by F150FXOnline View Post
...<snip>....Im lost here are you saying that fuse 24 is the samething as relay 304? Im not sure what you mean when you say which powers the interior lamps. The coil is controlled by the instrument cluster....<snip>....
No, I am saying the fuse associated with relay relay is fuse #24. Fuse and relay are 2 different things. Relay controls the on/off of power to an item, fuse protects against overload / short circuit to ground.

Quote:
...<snip>....What do you mean here relay 2? Are you talking about the 02 relay mounted under the hood of the truck?.....<snip>....
Relay 02 in the cab fuse panel.

Quote:
...<snip>....On fuse 22 my door locks work tho. On "401" I used a Ohm meter and tested good.....<snip>....
Fuse #22 is not for the power door locks, the line reads:
Delayed accessory power for audio, power door lock switch and moonroof switch illumination.
Your power door locks are fuse # 107 not fuse #22. Fuse #22 is illumination feed for the switches.

Use a meter to test for power on both sides of the fuse, don't remove and ohm them, won't prove anything by using an ohm meter with the fuse out of the holder.

Quote:
...<snip>....How this all started I took the black/blue wire thats ran under the driverside rail and pretty sure its tied into the dome light and grounded it by mistake. When I did the lights went out and as I started testing other stuff noticed the power windows and radio not working.
Did you have the Black w/ Light blue stripe wire that is circuit #53 or the Black w/ Light Blue stripe wire that is circuit # 875 ?
Old 07-19-2010, 11:31 PM

Got it SSCULLY thanks for your help! I found this link:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/35...ion-401-a.html

It was FUSE 21 (Cluster Keep alive power) that one fuse blown took out my interior lights, power windows, Radio, Speed and Tach!!

Now back to working on the Tow Mirrors.

• 2005 FX4
  • Magnaflow SI/DO
  • K & N CAI (KN57-2556)