No Cruise Control, No Horn, Airbag works, Horn fuse blows

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 01:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Cruise Control, No Horn, Airbag works, Horn fuse blows

I just recently bought my F150. Very clean truck, however, the previous owner told me that he had noticed the horn had not worked lately. On the way home, I noticed that the cruise didnt work either. Also, the truck has 170k miles on it.

After some searching on this forum, I gathered that it could be the clockspring, given that both the horn and the cruise are non-functional. The airbag light does not come on, however.
With a little search for blown fuses, I found that the horn fuse, located in the Power Distribution box (under the hood) was blown.
I replaced the horn, and the fuse was fine until the horn was pressed.

Here is a little summary:
  • Horn does not work
  • Cruise does not work
  • Airbag appears to work (light comes on during start, like normal)
  • Horn fuse under hood blows immediately after pressing horn (very short honk, then the fuse blows)
  • Fuse #3 missing (under dash, owner manual says its Cigarette Lighter)
  • Recall has been performed (harness & ziptie near master cylinder)

My question is, could a clockspring blow the horn fuse? or is this two different problems?

Thanks for your help.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:15 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The Horn Fuse ( BJB Fuse # 5 ) is to the horn relay normally open contacts.

This side of the relay is isolated from the clock spring, and the horn switch in the steering wheel.

If you are having a problem with this fuse blowing, it is an issue with the wiring to the horns, or the horns themselves.

Start with unplugging the horn connector, hook a meter to the horn contacts, and press the horn on the steering wheel while someone watches the meter.

The meter should read +12 V DC when the horn switch is pressed. If the fue blows with the meter on, the issue is with the wiring.

If you have an extra bulb socket and some wire, you can insert the wires into the horn connector, and lay it on the radiator support, where you can see it when the hood is open.

The CC could be the fuse in the harness is blown. Check the Brake Pressure Switch ( the plug in the master cylinder ) for leaks.

If you pull the connector on the Brake Pressure Switch, you should have + 12 on one of the 2 pins in the connector ( on the factory harness this is Light Green w/ Red stripe wire, don't know if the recall harness kept the same colors, I would guess not ). If you do not have power at the end of the recall harness, pull the connector between the recall harness and the factory harness and check for power there.

Also check the fuse for the CC, this is Cab fuse panel Fuse #5.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:33 AM
Thanks sscully.

I replaced the Horn fuse #5, and my CC works, as long as I dont press the horn, but I would like to fix the problem overall, and your answer will help me do just that. Where are the horns located?

Old 06-15-2010, 12:18 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The horns are located behind the bumper on the passenger side, directly under the passenger side headlamp.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:31 AM
Thought I would give an followup:

With some trial and error, disconnecting and reconnecting the horns, I discovered that one of my horns is not working properly, so I disconnected it for now. I have a working horn, nevermind the fact that it sounds like a clown horn. hahah..maybe i'll get some louder replacement horns or something similar.

Thanks for the help.

I really like these forums, and im sure i'll be around; I might get some ideas for some things to do to my truck... =)

Old 11-30-2015, 08:28 AM
I have the same problem my cruise control doesn't work and my air bad light is on. And my horn doesn't work but it works with the alarm.... my radio or climate controls don't work also. Any ideas what the problem may be? Thanks

Old 12-01-2015, 10:29 AM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Estrada432
I have the same problem my cruise control doesn't work and my air bad light is on. And my horn doesn't work but it works with the alarm.... my radio or climate controls don't work also. Any ideas what the problem may be? Thanks
Welcome to the forum, Estrada432. If you haven't already, I'd bring these issues to the attention of your local Ford Dealership. What's your truck's model year/mileage?

Crystal

Old 12-24-2015, 11:15 PM
Same questions...

Originally Posted by Estrada432
I have a 2005 excursion xlt and my ac is either off or on in the front seats. My horn also recently stopped working and my cruise control as well. Did you ever figure out your vehicle?

Quick Reply: No Cruise Control, No Horn, Airbag works, Horn fuse blows