Old 04-13-2015, 03:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Turn signal stopped working????? What tha…
http://www.f150online.com/forums/ele...-what-tha.html

ISSUE
Turn signals stopped working. Numerous members are saying they are having similar issues. The issue is caused by a connector in the steering column that breaks when the steering wheel is lowered.
Read below for the full discussion…
Print Wikipost

turn signals stopped working????? what tha.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 01:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turn Signals

I had the problem of turn signals and flashers not working on my 2001 F150 and seen the solution on here. I pulled the steering column apart and sure enough the plug was pulled out and the clips to the plug broke, the wires had pulled out of the plug also and the clips broke for them too. I pushed the wires one at a time back into the plug and supper glued them until set. Then plugged it back in to place and drilled a small hole in the top were the clip had snapped onto and then wired the plug into place and supper glued the wire just a little for safe keeping. Thanks for the advise it was a nice time saver!!

Last edited by dj1657; 12-16-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:32 PM
Ok guys, I know this is an old thread, but Im about to pull my hair out.

The random blowing of fuse #13 which controls brake lights, and turn signals started 6 or more months ago. Sometimes as soon as you would put in a fuse, it would blow, then it started only blowing when I would press the brakes. Then for months and months, nothing happened, the turn signals, hazards, brake lights worked.

One day, while pressing the brakes, the fuse blew. For the last month or so, I havent been able to keep a fuse in because it blows when I hit the brakes. My left blinker works but my right one is very labored which lead me to believe that the right side was giving me the issue. After a while I noticed I couldnt blow fuses any longer and nothing worked.

The other day I found this thread and tried moving my steering wheel up and and the turn signals started working but brakes blew the fuse again. I took apart the steering column, took the multifunction switch out and found that three wires were hanging out, with one that had been covered by that little grey plastic tooth that broke. I went to Ford and got the repair harness pigtail.

Made myself a diagram and cut the old wires back and spliced them into the new harness. Everything was working unitl I hits the brakes.

Only thing left to change IMHO is the multifunction switch. Im just not understanding how that could be my problem though.

One thing though, while splicing the wires, I touched the three together and my right blinker worked like it should which leads me to believe that the problem isnt behind the switch.

any advice.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:33 PM
This is exactly what I discovered.

Originally Posted by Quintin
Sometimes, the locking tabs at the multifunction switch connectors for the individual pins break and allow the wires to back out slightly, causing weird lighting concerns. Remove the upper and lower steering column shrouds and look at the multifunction switch connectors, give the leads a slight tug and see if any pins back out of the connector.
The connector shroud holding the pins is hard grey plastic and not nylon like you see in Molex connectors. Not only did the locking tabs break from being brittle, but the small tabs designed to hold the metal pins in place sheared off for several of the pins. From using an ohm meter, I figured out the ones that are sliding back and forth in the connector are for ground, left turn, and right turn. Go figure.

Tried hot glue to hold the metal connectors in place--the glue wouldn't stick to the plastic. Next tried Liquid Nails construction adhesive. Same thing.

Not a happy camper. Going to try some silicone RTV, since that stuff is about as sticky as anything and will perhaps stick to the plastic.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:13 PM
Success?

OK, I went ahead and used some more hot glue and glued the ever-loving crap out of every loose pin. Added an island of hot glue over the tops of those pins and effectively glued the wires to the other secure wires adjacent to them.

Connected the plug and when I hit the turn signal (left or right) I'd get one flash. Kept alternating between left and right--same thing. Finally thumped the OBDII connector because I knew the flasher was mounted directly above it (where it's hard to change--thanks Ford) and the turn signals started working.

When this problem started a few years ago, that flasher relay was the first thing I replaced. This problem has reappeared during cold weather, which led me to believe it was the plug on the turn signal switch (wires getting stiffer in the steering column) after looking to the forum and seeing the problems with the wires popping out.

One thing I will say is, after putting the turn signal switch back and moving the steering wheel up and down through its range of motion, Ford did a poor job of allowing for any type of strain relief on those wires. Those wires have a lot of stress on them coming right out the back of the plug.

Anyway, it warmed up so much today in Kansas City I will have to wait until tomorrow morning to see if the turn signal flasher relay is also defective due to a cold temperature-related issue.

Last thing...Since the plug was brittle where it attached to the turn signal switch, I went ahead and put hot glue along the edge to glue it in place.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:39 AM
It turned out to be a wire pinched under the air intake. It was a aftermarket k&n.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would like to add to this post even though its older than a three legged coon. I have a 2003 F150 and have had an intermittent problem with my turn signals when in use and the brake peddle is depressed they turn signals in the rear stop working. After multiple attempts to correct this and trouble shooting and doing many of the things already listed in this thread I finally discovered the problem and am in the process of fixing it.
The third break light assembly on the cab turns out to be the problem. I noticed that one bulb had burned out and pulled the assembly and yes a bulb was burnt out but the problem was worse than a simple blub. Turns out that the bulb holders (all three of them) had deteriorated to the point that the bulbs would not stay in the holder and make good contact. When the bulbs are pulled the turn signals work fine. Here is what makes this a PIA, I cannot find a simple socket to fit in the assembly that will not bottom out the assembly when I try to reinstall it. I spliced an After market plug that I got at Advanced auto but its to blasted long. I dont want the expense and hassle of replacing the whole wiring harness and so I have the bulbs out until I can get by a salvage yard and hopefully pull the assembly and simply snip off the old sockets and splice them in to the existing wiring harness....simple enough if I can get the thing for next to nothing. Hope this helps anyone that is still pulling their hair out and has exhausted all other fixes.

The following users liked this post:
Old 12-08-2014, 11:11 AM
my turn signals went out. changed flasher relay, still a no go

Hello, my name is charles. I have a f150 xl, 07. I recently changed my flasher relay because my turn signals and hazard lights stopped working. That did not fix the problem, so i have ran out of options. Please help. Thanks

Old 12-15-2014, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by sircharles44
Hello, my name is charles. I have a f150 xl, 07. I recently changed my flasher relay because my turn signals and hazard lights stopped working. That did not fix the problem, so i have ran out of options. Please help. Thanks
Try either the turn signal multi-switch in the steering wheel or the plug going into it. I replaced mine (99 F-150) and the problem persisted. Discovered it was in the molex plug fitting into the multiswitch. Several of the terminals had backed out and were making intermittent contact. I think I eventually epoxied the terminals in place from the back side of the plug as hot glue wasn't effective.

Old 12-15-2014, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by Tigrrrr!
Try either the turn signal multi-switch in the steering wheel or the plug going into it. I replaced mine (99 F-150) and the problem persisted. Discovered it was in the molex plug fitting into the multiswitch. Several of the terminals had backed out and were making intermittent contact. I think I eventually epoxied the terminals in place from the back side of the plug as hot glue wasn't effective.
Went back and looked at my previous response in this thread. Silicone RTV was the final fix. It dries firm enough to keep the connectors in place and yet still survives the heat of being inside a vehicle in the summer.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:58 PM
Same problem!!!

hey I have a 2012 f150 fx4, my left signal light was acting up, it kept blinking fast as if the bulb had burnt out, so I waited till the next day cause the stores were closed by then it had stopped blinking fast so I didn't change it. I was driving to work the day after and the same problem it started to blink fast my rear signal and my mirror signal were blinking, but fast. I had no front signal. It was doing this for a few days and then one day it completely stopped working and kept blinking fast I changed the bulb and nothing happened, same problem. A few days later the right side started to do this, again I changed the bulb and nothing. The relay in the fuse panel ticks but I cant seem to find the problem can someone please help me seeing on how I do not want to pay an arm and a leg to bring it to the dealer. Thanks a lot!

Old 12-19-2014, 08:15 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Won't cost you anything to bring it to the dealer if it has less than 36k miles.

Old 12-22-2014, 02:28 PM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by brockwatson
... A few days later the right side started to do this, again I changed the bulb and nothing...
Welcome to the forum, brockwatson. If you're still running into difficulty getting this resolved, you can always have your dealer take a look. How many miles are on your truck?

Crystal

Old 05-22-2015, 06:20 PM
Electrical issue

Hello my name is Kyle. I have a 2000 F-150 Xlt with a blinker/hazard light issue. Currently I'm stuck not knowing what I should try. So to begin with I replaced the 20 amp fuse for the blinker/hazard lights. Then I thought it was the relay (I have yet to replace it). But out of all the posts I have read I have not read any where the lights don't work at all, on the dash or the exterior. The blinker clicks with the directional switch is in the neutral position, but no lights come on what so ever. The blinker continuously clicks until I turn on the hazards which shuts off the clicking noise, yet still no lights come on. Could use some input on this issue, thank you.

-Kyle

Old 06-09-2015, 10:02 PM
Ok, I'm at a loss. All my lights and turn signals work, including flashers, except front left turn signal. I replaced the bulb thinking it would do the trick, but no joy. If I turn the left blinker on I get the fast click in the cab, no turn signal indicator on dash, and no turn light outside, but the light is on when the parking lights are on. Any ideas? Could it be the flasher module even if all the other stuff is working? Tried moving the tilt around and playing with the multi function switch, but no luck. Again, everything works except left front blinker.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:39 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
No turn indicator on the dash, as well as the outside, makes me think problem with the MFS.

2001 EVTM 90-1

Time to test it

EVTM 149-8

EVTM 149-9

The following users liked this post:

Quick Reply: turn signals stopped working????? what tha.....