1997 ford f150 turn signal/brake light problem.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 08:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 ford f150 turn signal/brake light problem.

I have a 1997 ford f150 truck.

The turn signals work other than in 2 scenarios. Neither work if the brake pad is depressed or while the lights are on. In addition, when the brake light is on the radio led number display goes out. the light on my electric brake control flashs when the turn signal is on.

the signal indicators on the dash blink really fast when the lights are on or when the pedal is pushed. they blink normally when neither are pushed.

the third brake light also flashes when the brake is pushed or lights are on and the turn signal is on.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:20 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sounds like you are missing a ground to a bulb. Time to pull each turn lamp, and check the socket for ground using a meter.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:11 PM
this may sound dumb....but i have no idea how to do that. any advice or tips on how to do that?

what could cause this to do that all of a sudden?

Old 08-26-2010, 08:44 AM
help. i've been screwing around with this off and on for two months now.

1. when just the headlights are on, the tail lights are very dim.

2. when just the turn signals are on, they work ok.

3. when the turn signals are on, and the brake lights are on, they flash very fast.

4. when the turn signals are on, and the brake lights are on, and the head lights are on, they seem to work normal.

5. when the when the turn signals on, and the headlights are on, with NO brake they flash fast.

6. the electric brake light controller flashes when the turn signal does.

7. the electric brake light controller comes on whent he headlights are on.

8. the third brake light flashes when the brakes and turn signal is on.

9. the radio light goes on and off with the brakes/turn signal.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:47 AM
Originally Posted by lowflying90
help. i've been screwing around with this off and on for two months now.

1. when just the headlights are on, the tail lights are very dim.

2. when just the turn signals are on, they work ok.

3. when the turn signals are on, and the brake lights are on, they flash very fast.

4. when the turn signals are on, and the brake lights are on, and the head lights are on, they seem to work normal.

5. when the when the turn signals on, and the headlights are on, with NO brake they flash fast.

6. the electric brake light controller flashes when the turn signal does.

7. the electric brake light controller comes on whent he headlights are on.

8. the third brake light flashes when the brakes and turn signal is on.

9. the radio light goes on and off with the brakes/turn signal.
wow this realy sucks im haveing almost the samme probum.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by jackrabbit72380
wow this realy sucks im haveing almost the samme probum.
What is different ?

do you have a meter & can you check grounds with it ?

Old 08-06-2012, 04:14 AM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
What is different ?

do you have a meter & can you check grounds with it ?
I HAVE NO LEFT TURN SIGNAL OR BREAK LIGHT! ON LEFT SIDE RUNNING LIGHTS WORK FINE THOE =(

I HAVE A NEW DIGTAL MULTI METER SOMEONE GAVE ME BUT IM NOT SURE HOW IT WORKS OR WHAT TO DO WITH IT.

I HAD A GUY AT DISCOUNT AUTOPARTS CHECK THE LIGHT SOKETS ALREDY
I REPLACED THE BULBS AND CHECKED THE FUZES everyones stoked dont knwo what the problum is I cheked all the wires from back to front and no shorts anyware

put the soket on the other side and it worked fine.

im realy haveing a hard time getting help I spent 9 days in the hot sun and alredy probly did 100 in damage trying to fix the probum

what fuze do i need to ceck the ground on ? my multimeter is red it has black and red rod's on it.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:23 AM

Is it no left turn signal front & rear or just the rear ?

Checking the ground with the meter you have, is setting the meter to resistance or continuity ( don't know if you have this setting ) touch 1 probe ( color does not matter on this ) to the ground on the bulb socket ( it is black wire on the back of the socket - this is not always the case on all items ) to another known good ground like the trailer tow adapter ( if that works correctly ). If it is on resistance you should see a reading of 100 ohms or less, continuity would be a beep or similar ( need to check the manual that came with the meter ).

If this tests good, next is to check for power at the stop / turn wire.
This is the Light green w/ orange stripe wire on the left side. Change the setting to DC volts ( and if a scale selection, use a 0 to 20 setting ), red probe on the Light green w/ orange stripe wire and black probe on the black wire at the socket.
Have someone press the brake pedal, and you should get a 12.xyz reading.

If not this is where it might be a MFS ( Multi Function Switch ) issue or other. 1st tilt the steering wheel all the way down and test the same, and then all the way up and test. Sometimes the MFS connector pulls apart behind the knee panel below the steering wheel, but most of the time this causes both stop / turn lamps to stop working.

The fuses should be fine, it is the same fuse for the flasher on the right side.

The parking lamp is the brown wire, different circuit and fuse that is not part of the MFS. Just checking the ground to make sure it is good and not deriving ground from the Stop / turn side of the circuit.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:56 AM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
Is it no left turn signal front & rear or just the rear ?

Checking the ground with the meter you have, is setting the meter to resistance or continuity ( don't know if you have this setting ) touch 1 probe ( color does not matter on this ) to the ground on the bulb socket ( it is black wire on the back of the socket - this is not always the case on all items ) to another known good ground like the trailer tow adapter ( if that works correctly ). If it is on resistance you should see a reading of 100 ohms or less, continuity would be a beep or similar ( need to check the manual that came with the meter ).

If this tests good, next is to check for power at the stop / turn wire.
This is the Light green w/ orange stripe wire on the left side. Change the setting to DC volts ( and if a scale selection, use a 0 to 20 setting ), red probe on the Light green w/ orange stripe wire and black probe on the black wire at the socket.
Have someone press the brake pedal, and you should get a 12.xyz reading.

If not this is where it might be a MFS ( Multi Function Switch ) issue or other. 1st tilt the steering wheel all the way down and test the same, and then all the way up and test. Sometimes the MFS connector pulls apart behind the knee panel below the steering wheel, but most of the time this causes both stop / turn lamps to stop working.

The fuses should be fine, it is the same fuse for the flasher on the right side.

The parking lamp is the brown wire, different circuit and fuse that is not part of the MFS. Just checking the ground to make sure it is good and not deriving ground from the Stop / turn side of the circuit.
its just the rear drivers side ...

that is all good info but i dont think my problum relys in the stearing colomn

also i cant fugure out whats what inside the power relay box for the towing kit but i dont know if that would have anythang to do with it.

hears the link to my thread hope you can help this problum is realy killing me. i have plenty of time but not much money and ford dealer wants 84.99 for diagnostic. i realy want to fix it my self.

http://www.f150forum.com/f6/no-left-...e-help-165691/

Old 05-17-2014, 03:09 PM
on my 02 f-150 anybody know why my left rear signal wont work while headlights are on?

Old 05-17-2014, 03:25 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Probably a bad ground.

Quick Reply: 1997 ford f150 turn signal/brake light problem.