Ford's FAKE Oil Pressure Guage

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 11:37 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
I said you cannot put the old gauge in a 97+ MY cluster.
You didn't specify what you were saying couldn't be done. And I didn't put your name on anything.
Please watch the model years on the profile...
I saw it before my first post.
If you had looked at any F-150 cluster newer than a 1994 MY truck...
I rebuilt an '07 Mustang instrument cluster last Friday, and an '05 Impala's Tuesday.
You really need to stop applying 1996 technology to 97+ newer F-150s...
Did you bother to read this thread? That's exactly what it's about. The original poster wants his new truck to have a gauge that works like the old ones. I've described how to do it. You've been offering nothing but negatives.

Even if the older gauge head won't fit (and I'm not sure it won't), the stock oil gauge could be swapped with a '97 temperature gauge body & then fed a signal from an older oil pressure sender. It might need to be balanced with a resistor or 2, but it CAN be done.
...it is really bad advice.
Yes, Mr. Kettle.

Last edited by Steve83; 02-07-2010 at 11:39 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:23 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just an FYI, I'm not sure if Ford changed any thing regarding the Oil Pressure Gauge on the 2009/2010 F150s, but I just checked the output of the A/D (analog to digital converter...forgive me if you already knew that) in the system diagnostics. The number twitched between a few very close values indicating that the pressure sensor was indeed working (and up to 10-bit resolution if I read the output right). That's not saying that the gauge is being sent this information exactly, but I HIGHLY doubt that they would go through the trouble of installing a working gauge if it didn't. Also, my gauge seems to vary ever so slightly on a cold day when I start it and a few minutes later when the engine heats up (I realize that it's not a temp sensor, but still).

anybody with an '09/'10 seeing something similar, or am I imagining my oil gauge working because I really don't want to accept the fact that Ford was too lazy (or felt the general public was too stupid) to link a working gauge with working data.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:10 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve83
You didn't specify what you were saying couldn't be done. And I didn't put your name on anything.

That's exactly what it's about. The original poster wants his new truck to have a gauge that works like the old ones. I've described how to do it. You've been offering nothing but negatives
Read the 1st post, 2007 cluster with an old gauge installed. Your example, putting a newer gauge ( still the non multi later PCB cluster ) gauge into an old cluster.
Opposite of what was asked, your example is not what the thread is about. Read your post :
By your reasoning, I "cannot" put a PSOM in my '83 Bronco.
I did not say this, you inferred this is what I said, and again opposite of what was asked.

Originally Posted by Steve83
I rebuilt an '07 Mustang instrument cluster last Friday, and an '05 Impala's Tuesday.
"rebuilt" not sure what that means, but all the same, you know the cluster is a multi-layer PCB, and you are saying just put in the oil oil pressure gauge in a 2007 cluster. This is the bad advice I was talking about. Not the 1st time you have applied 1996 and older technology to 97 + MY truck or using CV info on F-150s.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:15 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Steve83 and SSCULLY, I think you've both made your point. Let's just let it lie there now. I'd rather not close this thread. If the OP wants to try modifying his vehicle, he has information from both sides of the fence. It's over to him now.

- Jack

Old 02-08-2010, 07:10 PM
First, if anyone was offended by anything I said, sorry. It was my intention to find a way to install a WORKING oil pressure gauge in my truck.

Now, I believe I have found an easy way to install a real working oil pressure gauge if anyone is interested. I located a company on the Web called GLOW SHIFT that sells an adapter which mounts between your oil filter and the oil filter mount. It allows for three possible taps to add an oil pressure, and/or a oil temperature sending unit which then electrically connects to a gauge(s). I contacted their technical support today and was informed that their “Vehicle Specific Oil Filter Sandwich Adapter” model M-22 will work with my Ford F150, 5.4 motor.

It is my intention to install this item in the next couple of months when things warm back up. It is straight forward as you remove your filter, align this adapter so the output ports will allow enough room for the sending units and then tighten the center core bolt down. Finally you now install an oil filter as usual onto the new adapter. Done!

Here is the info for the adapter

http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/oilfi...5thread-1.aspx

They also sell gauges with sending units as well……….. Take a look. Happy motoring to all.

Last edited by arubba; 02-08-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:13 PM
Global Moderator &

I'm not offended, arubba, which is why I'd like to keep the thread open. Looks like you've found a good source for a real oil system monitoring setup. If you DO install it, I wish you'd take pictures and document the process. We'd be happy to have it in the forum.

I'm on the side of those who are unhappy with the state of the oil system monitoring. As a side note, Ford eliminated the oil temperature monitoring sensor in either the 2007 or 2008 models (I'm having a small memory lapse, so I can't remember which it was). Oil in an engine is kind of like blood is to us, and personally, I'd like to know as much about it as possible (or at least think the PCM was keeping an eye on it).

- Jack

Old 02-12-2010, 07:14 PM
My oil pressure "gauge" started dropping on and off when cold. Oil level fine and no noises. Called the Ford house and they wanted 39 bux for a oil switch. Pep boys has it for 6 something. Funny thing is the description says "oil switch with light. I hope it's the right part.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:35 PM
LOL, I was getting a visual on the switch and re-seated the plug. Problem went away.

Old 12-18-2014, 01:45 AM
Originally Posted by mhockey9090
Well then, good thing he doesn't drive a Chevy Silveraydo.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Raptor05121
i like mine fake. if it was changing constantly, it would scare the bujeesus out of me
Our work van has a working oil gauge and that thing shoots up when you floor it haha

Old 12-18-2014, 10:58 AM
Former Sponsor
Most modern vehicles processors use input from various sensors to operate the gauges, oil pressure gauges in particular haven't been "live" for years simply because there is such a wide range of normal operating pressures for an engine from cold to hot and at idle and high RPM.

My SVT Focus has "fake" oil pressure and oil temp gauges, the pressure gauge actually behaves differently depending on engine temp, As long as they're working I'm not concerned. I believe most of the oil pressure sensors these days do have some true function, they aren't simple on off switches.

It's VERY true that the move to gauges of this stye is due to a lack of basic knowledge in the majority of the population, we used to get people coming in all the time complaining about high or low oil pressure on vehicles that were in perfect operating order and every time that happens it costs the manufacturer money, it's not just about the cost of a part.

Back in the Aerostar days there was a year or two where the oil pressure gauges would appear to show the engine operating towards the low side of the safe range (still well into the safe range) which of course prompted multiple people to come in complaining about low oil pressure even though it was still in the safe range.

The solution? Replace the gauge with a recalibrated gauge that simply read higher because there was nothing wrong with the engines.

-Steve

Last edited by Tasca Ford Parts; 12-18-2014 at 11:01 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:26 AM
Hunh. Well, I guess today is good day, I learned something new. I'm not happy about it but it does explain why the " gauge " never moves.

Personally I think it's borderline criminal. Fraud, deception, lying, dishonest, greedy.

I'm not sure I buy the whole " people were bugging us too much " at all but even IF that was the case why replace it with a fake gauge instead of just an honest idiot light ?

The only reason I can see is because it looks cooler if it is a " gauge " and makes it an easier sell, especially in a truck. I think people buying a truck expect gauges more than people buying a car. They probably did marketing tests and figured out they would lose money if the truck didn't have a " gauge " and instead just had an idiot light. I'd bet real money they knew exactly what they were doing and it was purely profit driven.

And before anyone jumps in with " all the other manufacturer's do it too " you know that doesn't make it right.

Anyway, rant over, nice thread resurrection, and again thank you for the educational lesson of the day. Though I suppose it's really an old one, often forgotten, needing a reminder now and then:

" Believe only half of what you see and nothing that you hear. "

Old 12-18-2014, 04:03 PM
Global Moderator &

Just to add to what Steve wrote, I monitored the oil temperature for a short time after I first installed my Gryphon programmer. I was astonished at the wild swings it would go through depending on engine load. I finally decided it was somewhat pointless to monitor it and stopped doing so.

You may know this, but the Coolant Temperature gauge is pretty much the same as the oil pressure thing. First of all, coolant temperature isn't really monitored at all, but is inferred from the Cylinder Head temperature (which is a better thing to monitor since it's not fooled by steam). However, that temperature "gauge" just goes to a set point and stays there as long as the cylinder head temperature is within a rather wide operating range. Since I can monitor the actual temperature on my Gryphon, I do, and see it vary between 195-226, again depending on engine load and outside temperature. The dash gauge doesn't move at all during these swings.

- Jack

Old 12-19-2014, 10:28 AM
Former Sponsor
Since Far-trader brought it up......it is actually an industry wide standard. Whether you think it's right or wrong it's the way things are.

That's not to say that all oil pressure gauges in modern cars are dummy gauges but the vast majority are.

I think I'm also pretty safe in saying that those of us that even know what all the gauges do let alone pay attention to them are (sadly) very much in the minority these days.

-Steve

Old 12-20-2014, 01:11 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Just to add to what Steve wrote, I monitored the oil temperature for a short time after I first installed my Gryphon programmer. I was astonished at the wild swings it would go through depending on engine load. I finally decided it was somewhat pointless to monitor it and stopped doing so.

You may know this, but the Coolant Temperature gauge is pretty much the same as the oil pressure thing. First of all, coolant temperature isn't really monitored at all, but is inferred from the Cylinder Head temperature (which is a better thing to monitor since it's not fooled by steam). However, that temperature "gauge" just goes to a set point and stays there as long as the cylinder head temperature is within a rather wide operating range. Since I can monitor the actual temperature on my Gryphon, I do, and see it vary between 195-226, again depending on engine load and outside temperature. The dash gauge doesn't move at all during these swings.

- Jack
I do this as well and correctly diagnosed a bad thermostat on my truck 3 years back.

Quick Reply: Ford's FAKE Oil Pressure Guage