Adjustable themrostat for efans

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 05:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adjustable themrostat for efans

Hello

I am in the process of putting dual electric fans in my truck. I bought an adjustable thermostat kit with relay. What I am wondering is there a way to have the fans come on low say at 160 and when things get a little too hot have them kick into high? My thermostat will only adjust when the fans come on not high or low. I have searched but can't seem to find anything that turns on low and then kicks into high.

Jeff

Old 01-23-2008, 06:14 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
few things

1. You are describing what the FAL kit does, runs both fans at 60% of max when the temp hits the 1st reading.
If the temp increases 10* F, then the fans run at 100%.

2. If you are using a 2 fan kit, your should have 2 temp probes, and controllers ( that is how Troyer does his kit ).
2.1. 1 for the the first fan to come on at a given temp
2.2. 1 for the 2nd fan to come on if the temp raises 10* F

3. You should not have the fans come on at that low of a temp. The first fan should not kick on until 202*F ( factory t-stat temp of 192* + 10* ).
The second fan should come on at 212* F.

Hope I got the question correct, if not let me know.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:51 PM
SSCully that helps alot!

So does the FAL kit come with to temp probes and controllers or would I have to buy two kits?

Next question would I have to have two relays?

Thanks Jeff

Old 01-24-2008, 09:52 AM

The Flex-a-lite controller is 100% self contained.

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/vsc.html

I had the FAL-270 kit on my truck, and this is a plug and play type install, wire to the battery, wire to both fans, install temp probe, and install a hot in run position lead. No external equipment needed.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:04 PM
Ok so I am slowly starting to get this:o

So the VSC from flex a lite and the two temp probes from Troyer are KIND of the same thing. The VSC will run both fans on low and when temp rises they will go to full power where Troyers setup runs one fan on high and when the temp rises turns the other fan on high?

Jeff

Old 01-24-2008, 03:17 PM
Now, I got the FAL-270 kit, I set the dial to come on a bit after the stat opened, guessed at what temp but it's probably like 195*. I have now an infared temp guage, the point and shoot laser ones. The fans seem to come on when that reads around 180-185*. I point at the top of the rad where the temp probe is, and on the rad hose, both by the stat and rad inlet. Where do you guys aim and at what temp? Sorry if this is hijacking but might help the original poster too maybe.

Old 01-24-2008, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff2005F150
..<snip>...So the VSC from flex a lite and the two temp probes from Troyer are KIND of the same thing. The VSC will run both fans on low and when temp rises they will go to full power where Troyers setup runs one fan on high and when the temp rises turns the other fan on high?

Jeff
Same function, but different in how they operate the fans.

You have the function correct.
FAL both fans @ 60% then fixed 10* temp rise both fans@100%

Troyer single fan at the temp set on the 1st controller, then the 2nd fan on at the temp set on the 2nd controller ( redundancy + more user options in when 2nd comes on ).

Old 01-24-2008, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by BLUE20004X4
...<snip>....I set the dial to come on a bit after the stat opened, guessed at what temp but it's probably like 195*.
I have now an infared temp guage, the point and shoot laser ones. The fans seem to come on when that reads around 180-185*.
I point at the top of the rad where the temp probe is, and on the rad hose, both by the stat and rad inlet.
Where do you guys aim and at what temp?...<snip>....
On my 2001 I set the temp on by Autotap software, which is the same temp as the DTM from the HEC is.

Check the DTM output with the temp gauge you have, to see how they measure up. I think the HEC will show the same area of 180-185, which means the T-stat from the factory is not even open, and you have the fans turning on at 60*.
Go 202*F from the HEC reading, and check it against your infrared temp gauge to be sure.

The "stock" engine needs to be in the 192 to 202* F range for peak operating temperature.

Activating Test Mode ( trimmed down for post )

To enter the HEC Dealer test mode, depress and hold the instrument cluster SELECT/RESET button, turn the ignition switch to the RUN position, and then continue pressing the SELECT/RESET button (5 seconds) until tESt is displayed in the odometer. The SELECT/RESET button must be released within 3 seconds of the odometer tESt display to begin the dealer test mode.

Depress the SELECT/RESET button to advance through the following steps until dtc is displayed. Depressing the SELECT/RESET button will display any stored continuous DTCs before proceeding to the next step.

GAGE
Activates gauge sweep of all gauges, then displays present gauge values. Also carries out the checksum tests on ROM and EE. If the gauge sweep is inoperative, INSTALL a new instrument cluster.

All segments illuminated
lluminates all odometer segments. If any odometer segment is inoperative INSTALL a new instrument cluster.

bulb
lluminates all micro-controlled indicators and LEDs. Install a new indicator or LED as necessary.

r
used when requesting assistance from the hotline

EE
used when requesting assistance from hotline

dt
used when requesting assistance from hotline

dtc
Displays continuous DTC's in hexadecimal format. Pressing the SELECT/RESET button will display any DTCs stored before proceeding to the next step.

enG
Displays the English speed in MPH. Speedometer will indicate present speed within tolerances. Display will show 0 if input in not received. If input is invalid for one second or more, or if speed is 0.

m
Displays the metric speed data in kph. Speedometer will indicate present speed within tolerances. Display will show 0 if input in not received. If input is invalid for one second or more, or if speed is 0.

tAc
Displays the tachometer data received from the PCM via the SCP network within tolerances. Tachometer will indicate present RPM. Display will show 0 if input is no received, if input received is invalid for one second or more, or if engine RPM is 0.

FUEL
Displays the code (0-255) for the fuel sender input to the HEC. The fuel gauge will display a filtered fuel level value. This filter will keep the pointer from moving suddenly or erratically.
255 open send +/- 0
232 full stop +/- 0
215 Full mark +/- 10
178 3/4 mark +/- 8
138 1/2 mark +/- 7
93 1/4 mark +/- 5
41 E mark +/- 4
54 Low Fuel (0-59)
0-18 short (0-20 max)

OIL
Displays the code (0-250) for the oil pressure switch input to the HEC. Oil pressure gauge will indicate present oil pressure. Normal oil pressure (greater than 6psi) will display a value between 000 and 176. A low oil pressure or an inoperative engine oil pressure switch (less than 6 psi) will display a value greater than 176.

dEGC
Display of engine temperature in Degrees C input from cylinder head temperature sensor.
49 C "C" mark
60 C Normal band start
120 C Normal band end
-40 C No SCP message for 5 seconds

bAtt
Displays the code (0-255) for the battery voltage input to the HEC.

rhEo
used when requesting assistance from the hotline

rhi
not used

rhS
not used

rho
not used

Cr
Displays the current RUN/START sense input. Display will show -h for high input with the ignition switch in the START position and -L for low input with the ignition switch in the RUN position.

PA-PE7
not used

GAGE
Repeats the display cycle

Source: Helms 99 manual.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:09 PM
Wow, that's awesome, thanks alot. I will try it out and see what happens.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:10 AM
Thanks for all the help sscully

this is the kit I was planning on using

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ksid=p3907.m29

I am leaning towards having one fan come on and when temp rises to have the second one kick in.

If I were to get another kit and wired it to the second fan would that work? I would just basically wire the two fans separte and have the second one come on 10* higher.

Another question how could I determine the amps the fans draw when they first start up?

Old 01-25-2008, 08:36 AM

...<snip>....I am leaning towards having one fan come on and when temp rises to have the second one kick in.

If I were to get another kit and wired it to the second fan would that work? I would just basically wire the two fans separate and have the second one come on 10* higher....<snip>....
That is what you would need to do. That kit is on at the temp set, and off when 10* lower then on temp. The item is listed as single or dual fans, but it would turn both fans on at 100% with the first temp reading.

2 kits would get you the function you posted above.

...<snip>....Another question how could I determine the amps the fans draw when they first start up?
When they first start up, that would be a hold function clamp meter to catch inrush. That is an expensive clamp meter, and you really don't need to know current in rush, just the operational amp draw of the fan.

Either use your DVM in the Amp reading probe setup ( I know kind of obvious of me to point that one out ) and put the fan leads on your battery for ~ 15 seconds, or until the fan is at full RPM.

The other is to check the plate on the fan motor, it might have the Amp and power requirements, or the data sheet for the fan, if you have access to it.

Quick Reply: Adjustable themrostat for efans