Replaced ECU - Now Anti-Theft is activated...

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 09:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replaced ECU - Now Anti-Theft is activated...

My '01 SuperCrew ECU went haywire. It got to where the ECU relay would make a series of clicks about every 10 seconds until the battery was dead (with the vehicle closed, locked, and no key in the ignition). I got it jump started and got it home. Once I turned it off that was it. When you put the key in and turned it on the dash lights would make one quick flash, the door locks would jump up and down a couple of times and then nothing. A different, fully charged battery out of another vehicle got the same response. I traded out the ECU and now almost everything works. I have dash lights, dome lights, quiet door locks, my code reader checks all clear, the engine cranks over, and the "THEFT" light stays on. I've been told that the PATS chip is not on the ECU. Does anyone know if this is true. Is this Ford's way of keeping me from fixing my own vehicle?

Old 06-09-2007, 07:29 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
The ECU and the instrument cluster must be programmed to each other.

It's to keep vehicles from being easily stolen.

Steve

Old 06-10-2007, 01:14 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The PCM you got, is it the same "as built data " ? This is different year to year and I think trim level ( not 100% on the latter ).

The HEC ( where the RFID codes for the PATS keys are stored ) sends the result code to the PCM over the UBP communications network, to allow the truck to be started ( else it is a crank no start like the fuel inertia switch is tripped or the fuel pump is not operational ).

I forget what the pairing is between the HEC and PCM, thought that was programmed with the as built data ??
I don't think the UBP will work any to any ( as Steve noted ), but I could be wrong about that, and it could be a straight as built data error in the PCM.

Sounds like a tow to the dealer, to have them use the NGS to reprogram the as built data into the PCM... ?

When you say the ECU Relay, are you talking about the PCM relay, or the relay that the GEM operates, as in a wet gem type of incident ? I am a bit confused on if you are using ECU interchangeably with PCM or GEM.

Last edited by SSCULLY; 06-10-2007 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the reply(s).

And thanks for confirming that the PATS is separate from the ECU. About ECU vs. PCM, around here using the Ford acronym PCM gets a blank stare. Still kind of tick me off that I have to take it to a dealer.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:46 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
I would say your lucky the motor starts with a different PCM.
The PATS and the PCM usually have to agree for the motor to start.
If the PCM is programmed as if there is no PATS then it may be the answer to why the motor starts.
If so, you need a reflash that includes the PATS system and 2 keys programmed with it to get back to "as built' status.

Old 06-12-2007, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by Bluegrass
I would say your lucky the motor starts with a different PCM.
The PATS and the PCM usually have to agree for the motor to start.
If the PCM is programmed as if there is no PATS then it may be the answer to why the motor starts.
If so, you need a reflash that includes the PATS system and 2 keys programmed with it to get back to "as built' status.
The motor does not start, just cranks over. It was very hard to find an ECU for my '01-F150-XLT-Supercrew-4.6-Auto-2WD. There were six different ECU's for that specific model/options. Only problem showing is the "THEFT" light.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:30 PM
Some how I misunderstood and thought your motor would start.
I'm not supprised at the no start condition since the two have to respond to each other before the PCM will allow starting..

Old 06-13-2007, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by Bluegrass
Some how I misunderstood and thought your motor would start.
I'm not supprised at the no start condition since the two have to respond to each other before the PCM will allow starting..

...which means it needs to go to the dealer.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:15 AM
Just got back from the dealer...

Even though the $60 PCM fixed my truck I ended up hauling the truck 25 miles to dealer and paying them $128 to reset the anti-theft. Of course there was the 25 mile advertisement of my 26 year old (easy to work on) Chevy farm truck hauling my broken down 6 year old Ford to the dealer.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:50 AM
Hate to be-labor the subject but everyone that owns a modern vehichle is subject to the same things.
This is why this board and other exist now.
Owners have no idea of what they really have until something goes wrong.
Some think it just a matter of code telling what to replace.
Some try to get by things.
Some get all excited about it.
Some are never are able to handle it.
The drive train is almost completely computer control.
The expense and dealer support becomes a bigger problem in a hurry, so sometimes you have to do what you have to do.
Out of the millions of trucks and cars that run 100k mile + without much trouble is a testement to how well everything works.
On a board, all you see is the problems concentrated all in one place and it looks bad but not as bad as it seems.
I do admit that certain design problems keep me from considering a new truck as long as my truck sill runs good.
As for dealer problems, it's more often the service writer fault for not listening to the customer,interpeting, putting it down correct on the order and the third party (tech) trying to figure out what to do; that a missunderstanding ocurrs. Iv'e had this happen on more than one ocasion--feed the animal raisins and he sh*t's (punpkins).
Always be in charge by making sure what you are saying, is heard.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:23 PM
Still, there is the principle of the matter.

The dealer performed no repair service! I was required to take off work during their business hours, transport my truck to their shop, and pay $128 for ten minutes labor so they could grant me permission to use my keys in the truck I've owned for several years. The principle of the matter.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:09 AM
So if you wanted to change the instrument cluster you would have to have the coresponding pcm and PATS key ? Theres no way of reseting Anti theft yourslef?

Old 06-18-2007, 02:33 AM
Your miss understanding about this.
The PATS and PCM get married thru the software.
Mess with one and the other doen't work.
That's what is anti theft about it.
Key programming is actually a seperate issue so you can't just swap things out and be on your way.
They did a real job on it this time around to cover all bases pretty well.
Part of this is insurence driven due to theft.
And it's all passive/automatic acting.
The only way around the PATS is to have PATS programmed out in the PCM as if it never existed.
Matter of setting a bit in the program.

Pays not to mess with it unless there is a problem to be fixed, then you have to know what it's all about.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by devbrenner
So if you wanted to change the instrument cluster you would have to have the coresponding pcm and PATS key ? Theres no way of reseting Anti theft yourslef?

No, you cannot.

If your vehicle uses the cluster as part of the PATS system (depends on the year) then the PCM, cluster, and the keys are a set that have been programmed to be a set matched to each other.

Steve

Old 06-20-2007, 01:10 AM
so it would be impossible to swap a cluster from a 5.4 truck to a 4.6 truck if the pcm would also have to be swapped

Quick Reply: Replaced ECU - Now Anti-Theft is activated...