2014 F-150 5.0 - 5 Star or MPT for tunes

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 F-150 5.0 - 5 Star or MPT for tunes

I've been searching around trying to find a good comparison between 5 Star tunes and MPT tunes. I have a 2014 STX SCrew 5.0 w/ 3.55s. Most of the info I have found on MPT is for Ecoboost trucks. I hear both tuners are very good. MPT is a little bit cheaper when buying an X4 w/ 3 tunes, but not enough for me to make the decision on price. I want a tune that will be safe and reliable, and I drive this truck daily. I really dont get into the top end much, I do the majority of my driving in the low to mid RPM range, so that is where I would like the most gains. I dont do much towing, but I do max out the payload capacity for work. I like firm, positive, fast shifting but dont want it to be harsh. 99% of the time I will be using 87 octane fuel. If I went 5 Star, I think I would go with an 87/91 Perf/Tow tune and a 91 Race tune. If I go MPT I would probably go with 87 Perf, 87 Tow, and 91 Perf all most likely with street shifting. Based on my preferences, I'm wanting to hear from people who have tried tunes of their 5.0s from both tuners.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:17 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by supercrewfx4
I've been searching around trying to find a good comparison between 5 Star tunes and MPT tunes. I have a 2014 STX SCrew 5.0 w/ 3.55s. Most of the info I have found on MPT is for Ecoboost trucks. I hear both tuners are very good. MPT is a little bit cheaper when buying an X4 w/ 3 tunes, but not enough for me to make the decision on price. I want a tune that will be safe and reliable, and I drive this truck daily. I really dont get into the top end much, I do the majority of my driving in the low to mid RPM range, so that is where I would like the most gains. I dont do much towing, but I do max out the payload capacity for work. I like firm, positive, fast shifting but dont want it to be harsh. 99% of the time I will be using 87 octane fuel. If I went 5 Star, I think I would go with an 87/91 Perf/Tow tune and a 91 Race tune. If I go MPT I would probably go with 87 Perf, 87 Tow, and 91 Perf all most likely with street shifting. Based on my preferences, I'm wanting to hear from people who have tried tunes of their 5.0s from both tuners.
I honestly dont think you can go wrong with either.. I will say this. I have both companies tunes and as far as customer service goes MPT beats out 5star. You are almost guaranteed to get a response from them within the day where as 5 star take a while.

Ive never read or heard anything bad about either company as far a 5.0 or Eb tunes.. I would recommend calling both tuners and just talking with them on what you want and make your decision.

May want to shoot Dewserb a PM cause im pretty sure he had both companies on his 5.0 before he traded trucks.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:28 PM
My 5 Star tunes are amazing, I am going to try a MPT 91oct tune in the spring, they are cheaper as well when ordering a tune...

Old 03-06-2015, 08:58 AM
I am curious. I too have a 14 and have entertained going with tunes as well. Are you concerned with how this will effect your warranty? What if you are not able to reset back to stock before it goes to the dealer?

Old 03-06-2015, 11:29 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Ford now has the technology to determine if the PCU has ever been flashed. Even if you reset back to stock they can tell if they want to.

Old 03-06-2015, 01:44 PM
I'm not concerned about it. It really depends on the dealership you use. Some are mod friendly some are not.

Old 03-06-2015, 02:19 PM
glc
I'm not concerned about it. It really depends on the dealership you use. Some are mod friendly some are not.
You are going to find that less and less of them are still friendly. Ford corporate is calling the shots now.

Old 03-06-2015, 02:26 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
If you have an engine or transmission problem and take it in for a warranty repair, the dealer has to get approval from Ford or Ford will not pay the dealer for the work. If it is fixed under warranty, it is Ford's call, not the dealer, unless the dealer is willing to eat the cost.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:47 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Had tunes from both companies on my 5.0 truck. MPT all day long.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:27 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
MPT is a little bit cheaper when buying an X4 w/ 3 tunes, but not enough for me to make the decision on price.
You do know MPT offers a discount for forum members, takes the price down to 379.05 for an X4 with 3 tunes. Use f150forum in the discount code box when you order. I just ordered mine 5 minutes ago.

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-11-2015, 12:32 PM

I ordered an X4 from MPT on Sunday night around 11:20 PM and the tracking says it's been delivered at 8:50 AM today. Can't wait to get home and play with my new toy.

Last edited by 05RedFX4; 03-12-2015 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:37 PM
Former Sponsor
I'm stoked for you. Once you get our tune on there you should notice a night and day difference in response and power, especially on a higher octane. Don't be afraid to give us a call or shoot us an email if you have any questions at all. http://www.morepowertuning.com/contactus

Old 03-13-2015, 03:36 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i have a f250 shop truck , base model witht he 6.2, i hated the way it shifted and applied power. much different than the 6.2 on my f150.

i had a younger guy in my shop call mpt to get info. first call got all questions answered, placed order that day, go the device in a few days and the custom tunes to our email in about a week or little less.

truck is night and day difference, love it. ordering and installing could not have been easier. I have only ran the 87 tune.

when i think of all the years past and people not being able to call the vendor or even have emails answered , but you had to go to the site or you had to order and wait months or sorry can get with you now we are on vacation.
i am like what is the world is going on?

MPT, simply the way it should be.

Old 03-13-2015, 04:56 PM
glc
when i think of all the years past and people not being able to call the vendor or even have emails answered , but you had to go to the site or you had to order and wait months or sorry can get with you now we are on vacation.
Well, it's unfortunate that Troyer has closed down - it may have been an incredible hassle but he WAS the best. I think that's also why Edge products have fallen out of favor here - the only authorized custom tuner has its share of customer service issues too. I guess all good things have to come to an end sometime.

Glad to see that there is at least one vendor that provides a quality product in a timely manner and is responsive to his customers.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:14 PM

Well my experience with MPT is exactly what they said they would do. After I ordered my X4, I received it a few days later, plugged it in to my truck to get the PCM code and filled out the custom tune form on their site. After you submit the form there is a notice at the end that basically says you will get your tunes in 3 business days, it even list what day you will get them based on what day of the week you submitted them. I submitted mine last Wednesday, and they said I would get them on Monday. Well I did, 3 days as expected. I have the new tunes loaded on the X4, about to go out and load one in the truck and try it out.

Quick Reply: 2014 F-150 5.0 - 5 Star or MPT for tunes