End-of-Lease Surprise! Did it happen to you too?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2000, 05:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry End-of-Lease Surprise! Did it happen to you too?

Bank-One sent me a letter this week (18-January) which included a Used-Vehicle-Condition-Report from the Flint Auto Auction, claiming I owe $200 for a fender ding on the '97 Ford F-150 XLT Extended Cab that I traded in November 1999.

Turn-in is still not due until March 2000, with 3,000 pre-paid miles left on the odo. As part of my new purchase deal, my dealer paid the remaining payments to Bank-One on 2-December 1999.

The truck was never used a work-truck, always had a tonneau cover and always (except once) was touch-free-washed-and-towell-dried so it didn't even have 'swirlies' in the clear-coat paint -- yet the 5-Jan-2K Flint Auto Auction Used-Vehicle-Condition-Report termed the condition-of-paint only "Average".

Despite being turned in with the addition of pin-striping, tail-gate protector, window drip-guards, less-than-half-worn tires, Mobil-1 care, 3-months early (all 36 months paid), 3,000 miles pre-paid, Bank One wants 2/3 of my security deposit for an above-wheel-opening front fender ding worth $200 that nobody at my dealer noted by the time it left their hands.

I need your experience:

Is this a hidden charge that is a common occurrence with leasing companies?

Are they just angry that I didn't re-lease?

Did you have a similar end-of-lease surprise?

Is this common to Bank-One new vehicle leases?

Do they treat F-150's like Corvettes or Mustangs or F-350's as far as 'normal wear and tear'?

If I had leased my new truck instead of buying it outright, do you think Bank-One would be so insulting?

What are "...body dents and scratches in excess of normal wear and tear..." in your lease experience?

My lease agreement calls for payment for "...the cost of repair or the loss in value resulting from unusual wear and tear..." however this truck was ready for the Used-Truck-Lot when I turned it in - and they won't tell me what the selling price was, or if it had the dent repaired.

My Ford dealer (Galesburg, MI) said I (!?!) need to file the dispute with Bank-One, and I'm going to wait until Monday so that I can read your replies.

Thanks, in advance, for your help with my questions.

Jim - Kalamazoo, MI
(Loved my old, and really love my new truck)

------------------
Y2K XLT EC 5.4L 7700# SB 4x4 w/LS 3.73 (repeat buyer)

Old 01-20-2000, 06:57 AM
Question

jgorka, I was told that when I turn the truck in at the end of my lease the dealer will look it over and then I sign a form that states if there is or isn't damage to the truck. Once the dealer and I sign both sign they can't try to withold or get money from me later. What I don't understand is that if you traded it in then the dealer bought the truck, your lease is over at that point. I am in the process of selling my leased truck. I called the lease company, (wells fargo) they gave me a payoff figure and said if I trade it in or sell it whoever buys it (dealer or private) is the new owner and they (wells fargo) don't care what condition it is in.

------------------
99 F150 XLT Silver 2WD S/C 4.2 5-speed, Pioneer DEH P4000, Superchip, Flowmaster muffler // Rear door switch guards - check them out at http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/show/5031

Old 01-20-2000, 09:23 AM
The Auto Auction could have caused the damage themselves after you lost possesion of it. You got a real beef but if they are holding your money they seem to have an upper hand. You got to fight it especially if the dealer or whom ever it was you turned it in to did not note the damage on receipt of the vehicle. They can hardly hold you reponsible for its care after that point. Kick their butt's man! A threatening letter with copy on the bottom to your lawyer (even if you do not send him one)is the way I would start. Demand all your money back or proof from them that the damage was noted upon turn over. Good luck.

------------------
97 F-150 SC Lariat, Styleside, White over Gold, 4.6L (Windsor), Automatic, 3.55 rear end, electronic 4X4, w/ every option of Lariat and ORP packages except the 17" wheels (I even got the OR decals now!), MOD's so far: K&N air box mod, Gibson Super Truck, clear Bugflector II, Leer TSC 600 hard cover, Bridgestone Dueler OWL ATP 265/75 R-16's, TrailMaster Invader N7 shocks, Smittybilt step bars, Ford moulded mud guards, "White-white" head lamps, Cloud Rider Design's SS Grill and bumper opening "Summer Grill's", Bosch platinum + 4's.

Old 01-20-2000, 01:57 PM
The paperwork shows that ding happened AFTER you turned the truck in. End of argument. Stick to your guns on this.

Old 01-20-2000, 08:49 PM
Lightbulb

Howdy Jgorka,

Ive never leased a vehicle, but it would seem to me that you should have recieved some signed paper work from the dealer when you purchased your new truck from them. Stating that you are released from your payment obligation on your old truck (posible called a release of lein)and that the balance is paid in full.

Sounds like the dealer used the auction to sell the truck (generally they do this, sometimes they will transport them to another state where the retail value is higher)Basically if you have paper work showing you are no longer financially responsible, I would ignore the letter or call them and tell em to pound SaND! I bet they are just trying to get money out of you, tell them to talk to your lawyer Mr. Fieger.........

------------------
2000 F-150 Lariat, Flareside, Black, SC, 4x4, 5.4L, 3.55, Garmin Street Pilot Color GPS

Old 01-21-2000, 12:32 AM
J-C
If there is NO paperwork from the dealer indicating the "ding" was there when you turned it in, the "ding" obviously happened after it left your protective hands.
BTW - I suspect an Auto auction house would list a "new off the showroom floor" as "Average". If the list it better, they have to pay more.
Also, NOBODY cares that you treated the truck well (Mobil 1) while you had it.
Don't take it personally and demand Bank-One show proof that the "ding" existed before you turned the truck in or give you your deposit back.
Good Luck.

Old 01-22-2000, 02:06 AM
Don't take this crap from them. Threaten to go to the newspapers and the dealership. There are plenty of leasing companies to choose from and if a dealer feels like these turds are making unhappy campers in his back yard... he'll kick them out! Make this a dealer problem, get them involved.
I live in Alberta so I don't know what your laws are like but here, if they sign off on the deal, you are absolved from ANY AND ALL claims past that date.
What would have happened if the truck fell off the trailer before your auction guy had a chance to appraise it's condition??? Would they want the full value for above normal wear and tear?
Go get 'em!
Best of luck
Bruce

------------------
'97 F-150 Lariat,4.6, S/C, 4X4, SB, 17"wheels, no mods.

Old 01-23-2000, 12:48 AM
We leased a van several years ago. We turned it back to the leasing agency three months early, paid the lease in full. This was in Houston. A couple of months later we got a letter from the "mother ship" of the agency in California. They wanted almost $1500 for "excess wear and tear", tires, driver's door electric latch inop, and some other things. I ignored it for months. They began to call. We did not return their calls. Finally one night, they caught me off guard and I picked up the phone. I said " I have been meaning to call you guys...." I told him the charges were rediculous. Yes the tires were on the downside but we were not informed of the need to return the car with new tires. Any "parking lot rash" was very minor. I agreed the electric door latch should have been fixed. I also stated that it was not right to charge California labor rates on a car that was leased, driven, and returned in Texas. He conceded that point, then asked what I would be willing to pay. (Aha! He's willing to negotiate) I said "I'll put a check for $100 in the mail tomorrow." He said great!
Done deal! It's a racket.

------------------
1997 F150 XLT-STX, Reg. Cab,Oxford White, 4.2L, Auto, 3:55, Prestige Alarm System, MPC Wrap Bugshield, Spare tire Shield,
-It's a beautiful Thing!-
Also: 1996 Probe
1998 Mustang
1999 Taurus

Old 01-23-2000, 04:35 AM
Yes it is a racket, you really have to read ALL the fine print on all contracts; original lease, 'buy' out by dealer, insurance, etc. If you 'sold' this vehicle to the dealer before your lease termination date, then the dealer was responsible for the leased vehicle from that day forward, but read the fine print again. If they just paid off the lease on your behalf, the problem is yours, you are responsible for that vehicle until it reaches the Auction house and gets re-evaluated. You are at the appraisers mercy, his boss is getting paid by the bank not by you.

I have heard of dealers using vehicles like yours, with an active lease, waiting on transport being used by service depts as loaners to other customers having warranty work being done, or by their salesman who take them home for the weekend. You and your insurance is still responsible for the damage that is caused to that vehicle. You would have to go after the dealer, but be able to prove it too, major damage would be easy to prove, minor damage would not.

I turned over a lease at termination on 11/1. The tow driver marked every little in perfection. Nothing serious that touch-up or a good buffing couldn't fix plus 5k under miles allowed. I had an older friend that works at the Auction house stand with their appraiser while he went over the vehicle (okay, I'll admit it, it was, was, a Caravan)
My friend told me everything checked out with the appraiser. 3 weeks later I get this letter from the lease co. wanting X amount of $ for a scratch along with the estimate of parts/labor. Amazing, labor was $0, so they had no intention of fixing whatever they were charging me for.
I sic'ed my wife on the lease company, they owed me the deposit (or so they thought) which was $99 less than the bill. She got them to break even with us.
The thing the lease company forgot was, they returned my deposit at beginning of lease because I work for them!

------------------
Y2K F150 XLT SC SB 4.6 V8 standard, 3.55 LS,
[b]RED[\b]
  • K&N FIPK
  • Jeraco Deluxe High-Rise Cap
  • F150Online sticker on rear window
Waiting on installation
SUPERCHIP
Super White head lights
Clear headlight lenses

Previous Ford Trucks '84 F150, '87 Ranger

[This message has been edited by mtknee (edited 01-23-2000).]

Old 01-23-2000, 04:24 PM
I've never leased a vehicle, mostly because I can't leave it alone and have to modify it. Stories like this just give me other reasons to never lease. Sorry to hear about your hassles.

------------------
2000 XLT Black Sport, Flareside, 2WD, Ext. Cab, 5.4L Auto. Other factory options: 3.55 LS, Class III tow, 6-way Captains chairs w/CD changer, Remote entry , and Slider window.
Mods: Undercoat, window tint, headlight & tail light covers, removed "Sport" decals, upgraded Triton tailgate emblem, Linex spray-in bedliner, and an ARE LSII lid.
Wish list: Flowmaster duals, K&N FIPK or Velocity Tube, and a Belltech 3/4 drop.
Check it out at: http://home.columbus.rr.com/selva1/f150.html

Old 02-05-2000, 09:16 AM
My '98 truck was leased. I returned it with some door doinks but no problems. Dealers around here are very accommodating.

Ford dealers have an oval clear plastic template about 4 inches high X 8 inches wide with markings for the maximum allowable body damage, upholstery holes and burns, etc. Once the vehicle condition report is signed off by both parties, that's the end of it.

Unless you leased it through a third party, the dealer is responsible after that. My dealer was just the agent for Ford Credit which owned the truck. If that's your case, your dealer should go to bat for you. That's what they are there for. Darin's right. And that's the way it works from my experience.

------------------
Black 2000 SC XLT short-box. 4.2 V-6, 5-speed, 3.55 Limited Slip. Side steps, CD, remote entry, FORD box liner. Add-ons: Older Windstar driver's side wiper blade (with the air scoop, because I don't slow down when it rains), back-up beeper, "f150online.com" sticker and snazzy Tweetie Bird floor mats.

My third F-series: '73 F-100, '98 F-150 and '00 F-150. Great trucks!

Old 02-12-2000, 11:16 AM
Talking

Tell them to kiss yours *and* mine!

------------------
98 F-150 XLT 4X4 ORP Super Cab Short Bed, 4.6, Auto. Superchip, Gibson sing. cat-back, Airaid, 80/100w German head lamps. Warn HS9500i winch with semi hidden mount. Wrangler dual battery kit with red & yellow top Optima batteries. Torsion bars cranked up 2 turns. Needs one more door and a lot more power. I think I need to talk to Mr. Whipple.

Old 01-27-2001, 04:51 PM
Thumbs down

This is exactly why I chose not to lease even though my parents begged me to!

I do not personally use Bank One, but I am the bookeeper where I work and have to deal with them on a regular basis. I hate to tell you this but Bank One is one of the worst banks I have ever dealt with. They are entirely unprofessional, very sneaky, and quick to blame anyone else (but isn't everyone out to get someone else?). Anyways, good luck because Bank One is completely seedy and unreliable. I suggest taking your money and or business elsewhere.

Red

Old 01-29-2001, 05:06 PM
Hey guys I think I have the solution to this. When releasing your vehicle back to the dealer after lease end, take plenty of close up pictures and if you can take them with your salesperson in them.
This way if you ever receive a nasty letter from the bank, you can protect yourself with legal proof. Not to mention, have the salesperson indicate the vehicle is free from damages - sign and date it.

Hope this helps - good luck.

Old 02-17-2001, 11:11 PM
I have leased 3 f150s (bought the third one last week) and 2 BMWs and have never had any kind of crap like this-who did you lease from Ford or Bank One? I agree with the posts about the inspection that was done when you turned in the truck to the dealer-two options-go to the dealer for backup and, if they do not help you, document the turn in procedure, explain to Bank One that there was no such ding when you turned it in and if they persist notify your lawyer next time instead of you. Hell for $200 they may not want to mess with it. Of course if you have a lawyer all the better!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jgorka:
Bank-One sent me a letter this week (18-January) which included a Used-Vehicle-Condition-Report from the Flint Auto Auction, claiming I owe $200 for a fender ding on the '97 Ford F-150 XLT Extended Cab that I traded in November 1999.

Turn-in is still not due until March 2000, with 3,000 pre-paid miles left on the odo. As part of my new purchase deal, my dealer paid the remaining payments to Bank-One on 2-December 1999.

The truck was never used a work-truck, always had a tonneau cover and always (except once) was touch-free-washed-and-towell-dried so it didn't even have 'swirlies' in the clear-coat paint -- yet the 5-Jan-2K Flint Auto Auction Used-Vehicle-Condition-Report termed the condition-of-paint only "Average".

Despite being turned in with the addition of pin-striping, tail-gate protector, window drip-guards, less-than-half-worn tires, Mobil-1 care, 3-months early (all 36 months paid), 3,000 miles pre-paid, Bank One wants 2/3 of my security deposit for an above-wheel-opening front fender ding worth $200 that nobody at my dealer noted by the time it left their hands.

I need your experience:

Is this a hidden charge that is a common occurrence with leasing companies?

Are they just angry that I didn't re-lease?

Did you have a similar end-of-lease surprise?

Is this common to Bank-One new vehicle leases?

Do they treat F-150's like Corvettes or Mustangs or F-350's as far as 'normal wear and tear'?

If I had leased my new truck instead of buying it outright, do you think Bank-One would be so insulting?

What are "...body dents and scratches in excess of normal wear and tear..." in your lease experience?

My lease agreement calls for payment for "...the cost of repair or the loss in value resulting from unusual wear and tear..." however this truck was ready for the Used-Truck-Lot when I turned it in - and they won't tell me what the selling price was, or if it had the dent repaired.

My Ford dealer (Galesburg, MI) said I (!?!) need to file the dispute with Bank-One, and I'm going to wait until Monday so that I can read your replies.

Thanks, in advance, for your help with my questions.

Jim - Kalamazoo, MI
(Loved my old, and really love my new truck)

</font>

Quick Reply: End-of-Lease Surprise! Did it happen to you too?