Vomit on the seats

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 02:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down Vomit on the seats

Yep this was a horrible trip. I was heading to Columbus, Ohio which is roughly a 2 hour drive away from where I was. My 7 yr old niece decided to puke all over the back seat. I had no supplies available to get it out other than some baby wipes and Clorox wipes. Keep in mind this was on Wednesday.

Yesterday I did a full detail of the seats and carpet using a Bissel heated carpet shampooer. Well I seen it was pulling out some of the stuff embedded in my FX4 seats. But the smell still resides slightly. And that is where I need help. Visibly there is no more puke stains. I tried some car spray and it just kind of masks it, but it is still there.

So what can I spray back there on the seats to help expedite the smell removal?

The only positive thing that came out of that trip was I managed to get 18MPG on the whole trip.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:16 PM
Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
quite a decision on her part

Old 05-22-2009, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You could try Neutri Air or Fabreeze and I know they work my step son decorated my back seat about 2 days after I bought my F150.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:52 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Go to Walmart and get a spray bottle of Odo-Ban.

http://cleancontrol.com/OdoBanRetail...liminator.html

Old 05-22-2009, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by glc

Is it high in chemicals? Reason I ask is I have a 1-month old who has a car seat next to the vomit area.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:19 PM
esf
You are going to need something with enzymes to eliminate the odors. This might sound strange but go to your local petco or petsmart or similar and get some Natures Miracle. It's designed for pet odors (obviously). I've used it before myself. It doesn't have a real strong odor. Basically smells like rubbing alcohol. It's actually very similar to rubbing alcohol by design but sort of amped up. The smell doesn't linger either. Once it dried I couldn't smell it anymore. I also couldn't smell the cat urine anymore. There are better things to use, but this is readily available and it has worked for me.

EDIT - I should mention that I was recommended this by my vet to clean a wall in my house that my cat for some reason wouldn't stop licking it and was having an alergic reaction to it. I would imagine if it's safe for a cat to lick it is probably safe for a baby to be in the vacinity of it.

Last edited by esf; 05-22-2009 at 07:21 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:23 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
OdoBan is a disinfectant too, and obviously you would want to let it dry before letting anyone in the back seat.

Sanitizer Directions

OdoBan RTU kills 99.99% of germs †such as Streptococcus pyogenes (Strep), Escherichia coli 0157:H7 (E. coli) (pathogenic strain), Listeria monocytogenes, Staphylococcus aureus (Staph), Klebsiella pneumoniae on hard, nonporous, nonfood contact surfaces in 60 seconds.

General Cleaning/Sanitizing: Remove heavy soil, and then thoroughly clean surfaces. To sanitize nonfood contact surfaces, apply solution, thoroughly wetting surfaces as recommended and required, with a cloth, sponge or sprayer. Let stand 60 seconds, then wipe.

Disinfectant Directions

OdoBan RTU kills common germs ‡such as Escherichia coli (E. coli), Staphylococcus aureus (Staph), Salmonella choleraesuis (Salmonella), Streptococcus pyogenes (Strep) and *Influenza A/Hong Kong (Influenza) on precleaned environmental surfaces in 10 minutes. An effective fungicide against Trichophyton mentagrophytes (the athlete's foot fungus) when used on surfaces in areas such as locker rooms, dressing rooms, shower areas and exercise facilities.

Disinfection/Virucidal*/Mildew Control Directions: Preclean prior to disinfection. Trigger spray 8 inches from surface. Clean with brush, sponge or cloth. Do not breathe spray. Treated surfaces must remain wet for 10 minutes. Wipe clean with a cloth or tissue.

Active Ingredients: Alkyl (C14 50%, C12 40%, C16 10%)
dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride . . . . . . . . . 0.30%
Other Ingredients . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 99.70%

EPA Reg. No. 66243-1

Old 05-25-2009, 12:30 PM
Frebreeze Auto, it will get rid of the smell, i had old coke spill on my seat which then made me puke on the seat, cleaned it with a steam cleaner and used Frebreeze and the smell is gone.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:38 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Be glad it stayed inside the truck.

I had a friend who puked all of the side of another friend's car. In fact, I think I posted a question about that in here.

Vomit on paint is NOT a good thing... can only imagine what it does to the teeth.

Vomit on car seats is a fixable thing.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by Camarothatcould
quite a decision on her part
I don't quite understand that reply

I love your user name and the title to this thread, kind of cracked me up

Old 05-28-2009, 11:08 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyd2723
I don't quite understand that reply
Kind of made me wonder too...

I mean... vomiting can't really controlled persay. When your body does it, you really have no control.

Go try sticking your finger down your throat, I can almost bet you can't not gag unless you don't have that particular reflex.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:14 AM
Well Turd, I think the problem is internal. By that I mean the up-chuck is probably imbeded in the foam cushion. My truck had vinal(is that how you spell it) seats and I never tried to remove the covers itself. What I'm getting at is, if there is a way to remove the covers itself and wash them. Perhaps, there is a way to clean the cushion itself with the cover removed? Like I said, I don't know if it could be done or not, just a thought. But, when your dealing with vomit, it can be a sickining matter. I had a new '98 Ranger and my x-wife hurled all over the inside door. Her head didn't quite make it out the window, to make a long story short, i had to clean the crap out of every internal part that was inside of the door. From the window regulators all the way down to the speakers. That was the only way to get rid of the horrible smell.

You will probably have to really clean it several times to get that smell out.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:42 AM
Originally Posted by glc

x2 That is a pretty good product for stuff like this. Thank God I haven't had the situation, but I do know of a few people that has used it, and it seemed to work great.

Also the product that esf posted about would probably work well also.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:19 AM
Just sent you a PM..

Old 05-31-2009, 11:34 AM
Turd !

I might have the perfect answer for you.....

But first, I need to know, is your truck a Supercab, or a Super Crew ?

The reason I ask, is I have a brand spanking new (never sat in) rear bench for a Supercab, that's been setting here in my bedroom for 10 months ! Bought my 08' Supercab, and yanked that worthless thing out of there right off the batt !
Tried getting rid of it on Craigs list, but no takers... so I'm still stuck with it.

Let me know,
Fish

Quick Reply: Vomit on the seats