Fiberglass boat & turtle wax ice??

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 11:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fiberglass boat & turtle wax ice??

Dumb question but I dont care.
Turtle wax ice is super easy to apply and looks good for a month or so. At least on my black truck. I have a boat that is black and white. The black part near the water line is oxidized and no matter what I throw at it I can't get it to shine like new. It is moored in the water and I take it out about every 6 weeks or so to clean it. I was thinking about using TWI on the oxidized area to see what happens. I dont want to make anything worse by applying it though. It says dont use on glass. I know that means glass, not fiberglass but it doesn't say you can use it on fiberglass either.
Opinions?

Old 05-22-2009, 01:58 AM
It doesnt matter what you use, you'll never get rid of the oxidized area unless you leave your boat out of the water except for when you're using it. Boats get an oxidized area at the water line because that area is being exposed to direct light, and indirect light (sunglight reflecting off the surface of the water). Your only options are to buy a boatlift and slip cover, or to take the boat out after each use.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:09 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
First, I'll move this up to General Care to help get you a variety of answers...

Second... no, TWI isn't going to remove the oxidation. I would suggest utilizing products specifically designed to remove oxidation on fiberglass.

A product like Meguiar's M-49 may be a good option for you.

Further, mechanical methods may be necessary; you may not be able to do it by hand. (rotary)

Following the oxidation removal, you'll want to put something to help protect and prevent it from happening again -- although, being that it's moored, it will be a constant uphill battle. I'd recommend a product like M-63 which is a synthetic wax...

Here's a link to Meguiar's website with their boat line:

LINK

From there, I'd recommend running over to Auto Detailing Solutions and purchasing there as they have top-tier service and really fair prices.

Beyond Meguiar's, there are a LOT of quality products out there. TWI probably isn't a good choice of products for your application, however.

-RP-

Old 05-22-2009, 09:14 AM
I just did our MasterCraft with the Meg's Fiberglass kit and it went from.

This

To this

Here is the thread I started in the detailing section with more pics.
https://www.f150online.com/forums/ca...-ski-boat.html

Last edited by dsq3973; 05-22-2009 at 09:20 AM.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:44 PM
That Ice wax sucks to begin with, and putting it on a boat isn't going to make it any better. Get the Meguiar's Marine Oxidation Removal Kit. It's good stuff and the wax is great.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:56 PM
I've used the Meguires Marine oxidation remover along with others. No luck. It helps but still has a long way to go. Maybe I'll let a pro take a whack at it and see what he thinks.
Thanks for the help.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CraigH
I've used the Meguires Marine oxidation remover along with others. No luck. It helps but still has a long way to go. Maybe I'll let a pro take a whack at it and see what he thinks.
Thanks for the help.
Did you apply it by hand?

Old 05-22-2009, 07:26 PM
I've done it by hand and used a power buffer with no luck. The oxidation remover almost makes it look worse. It sucks to because if I do get the shine back someday the hull cleaner I have to use to clean the slime off when I pull it out of the water will take off any wax that has been applied.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:48 PM
What do you mean by "power buffer?"

Old 05-22-2009, 08:57 PM
I was laughing when I wrote that as I couldn't remember what it is called. It's a makita 180 mm electric polisher. Same thing I use to buff out the truck.
http://www.hg.com.au/images/productP..._9227cbfc1.gif

Last edited by CraigH; 05-22-2009 at 09:00 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:30 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That's a rotary... and I'm blown away that you couldn't get the oxidation off with it.

Let a pro look at it... something isn't quite right. Either you weren't utilizing the product/machine combo correctly or the oxidation/lime was installed beneath the gel coat.

Old 05-23-2009, 02:10 AM
That's what I was wondering if the issue is under the gel coat. One side is definitely worse than the other which I find strange. Or, of course, I dont know what I am doing.

Old 05-23-2009, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by CraigH
I was laughing when I wrote that as I couldn't remember what it is called. It's a makita 180 mm electric polisher. Same thing I use to buff out the truck.
http://www.hg.com.au/images/productP..._9227cbfc1.gif
That is the same exact machine that I did our boat with and it didnt take much work to make the water spots go away. What kind of pad were you using when you did your boat?

Old 05-23-2009, 05:10 PM
It was a brand new pad. Fluffy and wool-like? Not sure what it's called or what it's exact purpose is. I do have more than just water spots to tackle though.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:16 PM
i have a few questions lol

1) what year/make is the boat?
2) is it kept in fresh or salt water? (i assume fresh water)
3) do you leave it tied to a dock or moored to a bouy?
4) is the boat bottom painted or bare gelcoat?

one of the customers in our marina has black gelcoat striping and one side of the boat is jet black, the other grey... one side got more sun than the other so it faded it. usually once it begins to fade, its extremely hard to get back to original.

Quick Reply: Fiberglass boat & turtle wax ice??