Porter cable Broken please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 09:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porter cable Broken please help

I have the Pc 7424 and i got a little water on the machine and it only works on the 6th speed setting. I was thinking of getting a new machine because i simply dont have the time my appointment list is growing by the day.

Now should i buy a flex instead or stay with dual action. i have been compunding for a few years now. Thanks alot

-Sal

Old 05-14-2009, 11:29 AM
I am on my 2nd 7424 due to the power cable screwing up my first one and frying it. The Flex came out just after I bought my 2nd one and I was pissed.

If you have ever used the Flex, you'll never touch the 7424 again. It works 100x better and faster and provides much more control of what you are doing for me. I was loaned a Flex from a detailing supplier, used it on 2 cars, and didn't want to give it back.

I can't justify the price tag just yet, seeing as how my 7424 works perfectly, but when it starts to fade, I'm gonna be all over the Flex.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've got both a PC 7424 and a DeWalt rotary. I have friends who have a Flex. I think you'll find the Flex to be about half way between the PC and a rotary where it comes to correction ability. Remember though that the Flex has had some problems of its own (backing plates I believe), so it's not totally worry free either. There is talk of a new PC 7424 XL (or something like that) coming out very soon. It's supposed to be a heavier duty version of the PC. So, depending on how much you use it, that may be an option too.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:58 PM
Between a G100, 7424, and a Flex, I prefer the Flex. I only use the G100 when applying glaze.

What issue are you talking about with the backing plate, 2stroked? I've had the black plastic in the backing plate melt into pieces on me before. I think I overheated it

Old 05-15-2009, 12:31 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Another happy flex'er here too. Love mine.
And FYI, their is a distributor for the Flex called Powerhouse Distributing, they are great about warranty issues, swapouts, etc. They handle the majority of all flex warranty issues in the U.S.

What issue are you talking about with the backing plate, 2stroked? I've had the black plastic in the backing plate melt into pieces on me before. I think I overheated it
ELVATO- those plates were a common issue at one time, if you have proof of purchase and still having the issue, contact the company listed above, they may be able to help you out

Last edited by BayouSupercrew; 05-15-2009 at 12:33 AM.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:44 AM
Ah, I see. It's already been replaced. Not my Flex, it's my friends...he just lets me use it when I want.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:43 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Flex is a nice tool but, it's just another tool to have in an arsenal, IMO. The PC7424/G100/G110/7336 etc is a very capable machine that can be used in nearly all circumstances for paint correction. While the Flex may be able to correct a problem more rapidly, the fact of the matter is that it also brings more risk to the table as it is a more powerful tool.

That said, it's safe when used correctly and with some common sense but, I still think it's a tad early to totally discount the utilization of a PC on certain tasks -- as it's VERY capable and will get nearly EVERY user to the end result that they desire. I still use mine frequently on client vehicles when a rotary is just a bit too much oompah (and I don't want to swing it around for 4 or 5 hours).

As for the OP - you may attempt to contact Porter Cable to see about an authorized service center in your area. From the sounds of it, the motor is shot. It may be less expensive to simply replace the unit or potentially upgrade to the Flex if you feel that it's the best option for you. Best of luck!

-RP-

Old 05-15-2009, 06:52 PM
[QUOTE=Rockpick;3727376]The Flex is a nice tool but, it's just another tool to have in an arsenal, IMO. The PC7424/G100/G110/7336 etc is a very capable machine that can be used in nearly all circumstances for paint correction. While the Flex may be able to correct a problem more rapidly, the fact of the matter is that it also brings more risk to the table as it is a more powerful tool......

Thanks for all of your opinions, i really am in a huge pickle here and all the hype that you guys have thrown at me for the flex is making it worse.

The only thing is that i dont want to jump into a rotary machine and wish i had my pc. If you guys are saying that it would be ok to use than i might go ahead an purchase it, i mean i have the volume of cars and i would love to get them done quicker. thanks guys

-Sal

Old 05-15-2009, 07:24 PM
The Flex does offer a more true Dual Action than the PC and is a little stronger and built better in my opinion, but knowing what I know now with the 4" pads, I would be just as happy with another PC.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:02 PM
105/205 changed the game with the pc.

I was planning to purchase a flex, just because, but now i'm not even going to bother

If anything i'll get the rotary flex because it's physically smaller than my makitia, ie. easier to use in tighter spaces

Old 05-15-2009, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by 1badstx
105/205 changed the game with the pc.

I was planning to purchase a flex, just because, but now i'm not even going to bother

If anything i'll get the rotary flex because it's physically smaller than my makitia, ie. easier to use in tighter spaces
I some what agree with this, however, I love my Flex. I do have a Dewalt high speed too but the Flex does give you a little more umph if you are burnishing the surface over a PC. The PC can do this but the job takes longer b.c you would need to again use the 4" pads.

How I use my tools: I correct with with the PC and 4" pads (3.5" PFW) or the Dewalt, then Finish with Flex.

Just my .02, spend it wisely.

Last edited by RollingRock; 05-15-2009 at 09:16 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
I some what agree with this, however, I love my Flex. I do have a Dewalt high speed too but the Flex does give you a little more umph if you are burnishing the surface over a PC. The PC can do this but the job takes longer b.c you would need to again use the 4" pads.

How I use my tools: I correct with with the PC and 4" pads (3.5" PFW) or the Dewalt, then Finish with Flex.

Just my .02, spend it wisely.
I never brought a flex to begin with because you can't change the backing plate, at least not yet. Someone is working on designing one, but the problem is the backplate has some kind of rotating gear in it so it's not just a simple swap.

If you're using the flex for light correction or finishing, then yeah it would be perfect so i agree with that. I might still buy one down the road, not anytime soon though i have alot of pads i want to try and products to order first

I think we see it the same way

Quick Reply: Porter cable Broken please help