A little help with new pad purchase.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 12:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A little help with new pad purchase.

I've got SSR 2.5,1, PP, EXP, BH and Natty's Blue. I had less than stellar results with these products using a PC and LC 6.5" pads. I've decided to purchase some smaller 4" pads with the appropriate backing plate after reading about pad size and the PC on Autopia. I was going to pruchase M105 and 205, but thought I'd get the correct pad size first before I purchase new products. That being said, I planned on getting the Orange LC 4" pad, but I'm not sure what others I'll need. Can someone chime in on what other pads I should pick up for my arsenal? The vehicle(s) in question are a Black 05 F150 with moderate swirling/rids and a black 05 c230 benz (i know the clear is hard, just going to try the PB stuff on it first). I also planned on picking up ONR and a few micros. Thanks for the help.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:50 PM
Here is what I am going to order from ADS in the next couple weeks. These are all going to be 6.5 for use on my Makita rotory but they have them in 4in as well. The white and green pads are going to be your work horse pads so get quite a few of them.

1-Yellow
1-Orange
2-White
2-Green Heavy Polishing

Old 05-13-2009, 02:20 PM
What pads did you use originaly?

Old 05-13-2009, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by 05supercrew
What pads did you use originaly?
i have orange, green, white, black, and blue. I didn't know if any of these were redundant and was looking to save a little with this order.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:35 PM
I would order two or three each of the work horse pads(orange, green, white) and use the finishing pads that you because you are not putting much pressure on them and trying to do correction work with them so they will work just fine with the PC. Just my .02$.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by Big Slick
Can someone chime in on what other pads I should pick up for my arsenal? The vehicle(s) in question are a Black 05 F150 with moderate swirling/rids and a black 05 c230 benz (i know the clear is hard, just going to try the PB stuff on it first). I also planned on picking up ONR and a few micros. Thanks for the help.
The backing plate for the 4" will also work fine with the 5.5 pads. I mostly use the 4" pads on my wheels and special touch up spots. I use the 5.5's for everything else.

You say the swirling is moderate on the truck so maybe the orange pads for the MB only since they are known for their hard clear coat. Otherwise I would skip the orange and go with all white and green pads on the truck for compounding, polishing and even finishing....Maybe a black pad or 2 if you want.
The truck alone will use at least 2 pads of each product if you do your polishing all in 1 day...so that would be 4 white and 4 green at a minimum.
I would also use the 5.5" pad size over the 4" IMHO.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:09 PM
i have orange, green, white, black, and blue. I didn't know if any of these were redundant and was looking to save a little with this order.
That should have done the job.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:34 PM
I'm going to the 4" on the recommendations of others over at Autopia. According to some of the more seasoned pro's over there, the 7424 doesn't have enough power to properly orbit AND rotate the the larger 6.5" pads under pressure and the 5" ones are borderline. The Flex is the only DA out that can handle the larger pads, hence why I'm going to try the 4".

Old 05-13-2009, 05:55 PM
I'm going to the 4" on the recommendations of others over at Autopia. According to some of the more seasoned pro's over there, the 7424 doesn't have enough power to properly orbit AND rotate the the larger 6.5" pads under pressure and the 5" ones are borderline. The Flex is the only DA out that can handle the larger pads, hence why I'm going to try the 4".
I have a G110 and this is written on the clutch where the backing plate screws in....

So I have many 4" and 5.5" pads.
I do use a couple of red 6.5's for wax application.
Good luck.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:00 AM
Originally Posted by Old Dogg™
I have a G110 and this is written on the clutch where the backing plate screws in....

So I have many 4" and 5.5" pads.
I do use a couple of red 6.5's for wax application.
Good luck.
you can change the counter weight for whatever pad size you're using. the size of the weight and the size of the pad are dependent on one another in order to cancel out vibrations.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:32 AM
you can change the counter weight for whatever pad size you're using. the size of the weight and the size of the pad are dependent on one another in order to cancel out vibrations.
The Meguiars G-110 machine comes with a 5 inch backing plate and Meguiars recommends using 6-1/2 inch foam pads. Meguiars chose a 5 inch backing plate to provide an extra margin of safety between the edge of the backing plate and the edge of the foam pad. The counterweight on the G-110 is not changeable and Meguiars does not recommend using pads larger than 6-1/2 inches.

Quick Reply: A little help with new pad purchase.