My PC is DEAD??

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 07:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My PC is DEAD??

I have had my PC now for about a month and have used it on 5 vehicles. While using it on Sat....it got real hot and started smoking. I shut is down and let it cool down for about 2 hours and now it will not turn on.

Has this happened to anyone?

Old 08-23-2004, 08:19 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like the motor decided to take a VERY early vacation. Good news though, you're still under warranty.

If it were mine, I'd start by trying to get it taken care of by the store where you purchased it. If that fails, the PC warranty should take care of the matter. You can find your nearest PC service center by clicking here.

Good luck. It's a bummer but things like this do happen occasionally.

RP

Old 08-23-2004, 08:37 AM
Just got off the phone with Coastal and they said to just send it on in.....Still a PITA.

Is it normal for the PC to stop spinning with the slightest downward pressure?

Old 08-23-2004, 09:15 AM
Moderator &

It should keep going with slight downward pressure. It will, however, stop if you really press down and/or put your hand on it with strong pressure. This is the reason that the PC is generally considered to be safe.

Quick question... what size pads are you utilizing on the PC?

Old 08-23-2004, 09:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From posts I have read here and elsewhere, Costal will screw up your return and you will be SOL.

Make sure you get names, etc., and make sure you get an RMA authorization for your return of they will deny they ever knew ANYTHING about it. I would also ship it with a signature required upon delibvery.

Good luck!

Old 08-23-2004, 10:07 AM
Rockpick,

I am using the supplied 6" hook & loop backing plate and Lake Country pads

http://www.lakecountrymfg.com/foampads_curv.html

Jaymz,

I will do that. Funny you should mention a RMA #....I asked the guy on the phone and he said "nope, just send it in and we'll take care of you".

Old 08-23-2004, 10:16 AM
Moderator &

I was just checking to ensure that you're not utilizing 8" pads.

Yes, most manufactures make a hook and loop backing for the 8" pads but nearly everyone in the business will tell you that 8" are too large for the PC and will cause premature failure.

R P

Old 08-23-2004, 11:22 AM
I am even wondering whether or not the 6" plate with a 6.5" pad is too big?

I wonder if you would be able to put more pressure on the PC with the smaller pad and not "bog" it down as easy??

I used #80 this past weekend on my sisters mini van. It did a great job.....just SUCKED finishing one rear panel, full rearend and the roof by hand, not to mention removing 1 coat of MPPC and two coats of NXT.

Old 08-23-2004, 07:23 PM
BC,

The 6 1/2 pad with the 6" backing plate should be fine. It sounds like you are one of the very few that have had a problem with one.......... but it happens.

The PC will only take just a bit of pressure before it bogs down. I would advise that you apply the very least amount of pressure, and "don't" bog it down much. Let the PC, pad, and product do the work. I also find that most people move the PC way too fast. Just barely keep it moving, and work a small area (2' x 2') in a kind of cross-hatch pattern.

Hope you get it taken care of without too much hassel.

Old 08-23-2004, 10:29 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by Boss_429
...I also find that most people move the PC way too fast. Just barely keep it moving, and work a small area (2' x 2') in a kind of cross-hatch pattern.
Dejavu! I swear I just read that same line over at MOL in a similar thread. LOL!!!

Old 08-24-2004, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by RockPick
Dejavu! I swear I just read that same line over at MOL in a similar thread. LOL!!!
Yes you did! I think I will develop a list of "canned answers"....... then I can just paste them in where they fit!

Seriously though, I've been showing a couple of people how to use the rotary buffer, and the PC. With one it's "KEEP IT MOVING", with the other it's "SLOW DOWN"!

Old 08-24-2004, 07:15 AM
Boss,

I would love to learn how to use the rotory. Since you are up this way....do you know of anybody putting on clinics or something similar?

I lurked around MOL hoping they would be up this way.....

Old 08-24-2004, 07:45 AM
Extensions cords are the most frequent cause of tool failures.
You should always use at least a 10 gauge cord and the run should never be more than 50 feet. Just a FYI...

Old 08-24-2004, 08:35 AM
Moderator &

Originally posted by Boss_429
Seriously though, I've been showing a couple of people how to use the rotary buffer, and the PC. With one it's "KEEP IT MOVING", with the other it's "SLOW DOWN"!
That was one of the largest items that Mike Pennington and Mike Phillips touched upon while I was out in Irvine. You're exactly right, people tend to hurry too much and ultimately don't achieve the result that they expect.

I think what you said over at MOL is dead on as well... a 2'X2' section should take a couple of minutes to complete. If you start getting much faster than that, then you're not allowing the product/machine to do it's work and may ultimately just mar the surface rather than correcting the surface blemish.

I think the 'canned answer' approach is a very good one and, in fact, we've been working on some of those over @ MOL. Just seems like a lot of the same questions get asked/answered over there. With a 'canned' variety, the consistency is high and, ultimately, it looks better from a company standpoint in my opinion.

Hey BC, I know there was some talk about having a clinic over in Jersey but, I don't know whatever came of that. How long of a drive is it for you? Also, please note that most of the 'one-day' clinics never touch a rotary...

RP

Old 08-24-2004, 09:58 AM
Rockpick,

Jersey is still too much of a haul. I think I saw that post over on MOL. I would still be interested in a PC clinic tho....I am still far from being a Master of the PC. I have found a wealth of info on the PC and products usage over at MOL.

I just mailed out my PC to Coastal w/signature request. The shakes should really set in tomorrow.....Christ, a week without the PC....

Quick Reply: My PC is DEAD??