California Water Blade

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 05:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question California Water Blade

Anyone have any experience (good or bad) with the California Water Blade? Is it as safe as they claim it is?

Old 05-16-2004, 05:43 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have one I'll send out providing you pay for the shipping.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good idea and a decent product but, I can tell you that it's caused several small scratches and has enhanced swirl marks with little use.

I don't use it anymore. Get some nice waffle weave microfiber drying towels and also utilize the stream method with your hose (take your hose nozzle off and allow the stream to simply run across your paint. This, in turn, will GREATLY minimize your effort in washing as the majority of the water will sheet off with the water stream).

--MOVED TO GENERAL CARE--

RP

Old 05-16-2004, 06:21 PM
Dont like it

Didnt find it to be a particularly effective product. Felt like I could get the job done faster and easier with a good towel.

Old 05-16-2004, 06:41 PM
Got one. Don't need it with Mr. Clean Auto Dry.

Old 05-16-2004, 07:26 PM
Here is what RockPick is talking about Microfiber Drying Towel and I bought one based on his and Boss’s recommendation.

Excellent product and one towel will dry the entire truck. After using this it makes the 100% cotton towels feel like your running sand paper across the paint…

Old 05-16-2004, 09:51 PM
I've used the water blade for a few years now and am very happy with it. It has never caused any noticable scratches in my paint, which is black by the way. It won't get every last bit of water off your truck which is why I get the small spots with a cotton towel afterwards.

-Craig

Old 05-16-2004, 10:50 PM
I have also had the waterblade for some time now, and have yet to have it cause a single scratch. The scratches that are being caused on peoples vehicles by them are people that neglect to make sure that the blade is free of debris. If it isnt, it is obviously going to scratch, which is why everytime I use mine, i make sure its clean and debris free before I use it. So far, so good!

Old 05-16-2004, 11:11 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by roboots21
..The scratches that are being caused on peoples vehicles by them are people that neglect to make sure that the blade is free of debris...
I have to disagree with you on this one roboots. The blade on mine has ALWAYS been clean plus, I always have made a concious effort to keep the blade away from areas that are more prone to grit and such (ie: below the mid-door line). That's certainly not to guarantee that I didn't have something above that point but, after two uses, I noted several areas which I believe were caused by the CWB.

I'm sure some people use it with great success; unfortunately, I wasn't one of them.

High-quality products and proven techniques keep my vehicle swirl-free and as close to perfect as I can keep it for an everyday driver.

RP

Old 05-17-2004, 12:08 AM
I have one and have used it on my truck. Here's my take.

1 - The thing does a fair at best job of removing water from the finish.
2 - If you run it (accidentally) across a somewhat dry area, the blade will catch on the finish and try to tear itself out of your hand.
3 - It has no ability to pick grit up off the paint surface like a MF towel can.

So, if you already have a blade, pass it along to someone else and get yourself some good MF towels. Or, if you haven't as yet purchased one, use the money you'd have spent on it to buy some good MF towels.

-Mike-

Old 05-17-2004, 01:17 AM
Thumbs up

I've had a water blade for 4 years now and swear by it. I use it on my truck and my Corvette. Most of the water comes off and use a towel for final dry. No scratches here. I keep a good coat of wax on twice a year. I wipe with a fast motion and let the blade do the work. You don't need to put any force on it.

It's great!

Old 05-17-2004, 04:40 PM
Well that certainly wasn't conclusive information. Thanks to all those that posted! I have plenty to think about now.

Old 05-20-2004, 08:58 AM
That thing looks like the squeege we use to print shirts with.

So let me get this straight, You guys are using these micro-fibre towels instead of chamois? I've always been a 100% leather kind of guy but am I missing out on something here? Man, i've been out of the game too long.

Old 05-20-2004, 02:27 PM
Moderator &

Steve,

Microfiber all the way!!!

Chamois is nice but, in my opinion, it doesn't have enough 'nap' to it to successfully entrain a particle of grit/sand to prevent it from scratching the surface of the paint. While the MF towel may not be the absolute 'end-all' answer, I feel that it provides a much better media to keep that type of stuff off of the paint while you're drying; not to mention they hold loads of water and are very easy to use.

I think alot of the guys are using this towel or this towel. I haven't tried either of them but, I hear that they're VERY good towels....

I'm using Meguiar's MF waffle weave drying towels and, personally, I LOVE THEM!! They come in a handy hard plastic tube (so you can toss them behind the seat or in a console without the risk of getting 'stuff' all over them.

Give them a try man! You'll love them!

RP

Old 05-20-2004, 02:37 PM
I agree completely with the Microfiber Towel - Great product!

I tried the Water Blade..Works well on windows and tonneau covers, that's about it IMO

More reviews = http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...ia+water+blade

Microfiber = http://www.autopia.org/review/censur...category_id=30

Last edited by wod99; 05-20-2004 at 02:40 PM.

Quick Reply: California Water Blade