Getting wax off the trim?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 12:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting wax off the trim?

OK, I am somewhat of a rookie when it comes to really caring for a new vehicle. THis is my first new vehicle and I want to really put the imte into taking care of it so it stays looking nice. With that in mind, here is my question...

How do you get wax off the plastic trim? Also, how do you keep from getting wax on the trim in the first place and still wax the entire truck? I was detailing my truck last week and managed to get wax on the door handle trim and also the rubber that seals the doors. Now there are white streaks on the black trim. Any advice would be much appreciated. Please forgive my ignorance in this matter.

Old 05-02-2004, 02:12 PM
I use a buffing pad on a random-orbit buffer. Not the one used to do the initial wax polishing, but the softer one used in the final buffing. For the most part, it will get in the small indentations and remove the excess powder. A toothbrush is also helpful for those really tight spots.

Old 05-02-2004, 02:18 PM
Simple Green makes a product that works great! You can get it in any car parts store.

Old 05-02-2004, 05:52 PM
Ghz
Using masking tape on the plastic before you apply wax is a good preventative measure and takes less time then removing the wax from the plastic after the fact.

I've had good luck removing wax from the plastic with the retractable pen shaped white erasers.

Old 05-02-2004, 11:53 PM
I use a product called (Wizards: Black Renew) It works great on all colors of trim and does'nt take a lot of effort, but be careful not to get it on the paint, it will take the wax off there as well.
I'm not sure where you can get it in your area. I buy it at Knipps It's an auto detailing shop in Wichita they sell a lot of maguires products. It's made by Wizmar Int'l Inc.
The phone # is 1-800-356-7223 maybe they can tell you where to get it in your area.
good luck. GIJim

Old 05-03-2004, 08:19 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Has anyone tried the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on the trim for wax removal? I have a hunch that it'll work great as I recently tried it on my textured vinyl running boards... they look BRAND NEW now.

RP

Old 05-03-2004, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by RockPick
Has anyone tried the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on the trim for wax removal? I have a hunch that it'll work great as I recently tried it on my textured vinyl running boards... they look BRAND NEW now.

RP
I tried it a couple weeks ago and it worked very well.

I checked the areas a few days later and there are no signs of the wax stains returning. Very easy product to use, no mess and great results.....I'm a believer!!

Old 05-03-2004, 10:02 AM
can you get it at wal-mart or most general parts stores? I think using an eraser would be easier and take less time than taping up the truck. The previous owner on my car also got a little touch up paint on the black trim by the window.. You guys think this eraser would get that off too? I doubt it would get paint off, but i'm hoping Any suggestions to remove it?

Old 05-03-2004, 01:01 PM
Moderator &

The Magic Eraser is a product that would be found in the cleaning supplies isle at a place like Wal-Mart. I seriously doubt it'll remove touchup paint.

RP

Old 05-03-2004, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'll try to get some of that Mr. Clean Magic Eraser soon and try it out.

Old 05-03-2004, 04:11 PM
yeah, i didn't think so either RP. Don't suppose you'd have any suggestions you could pull out of your detailer's bag 'o tricks do ya? Something that wouldn't ruin the black trim that is.

Old 05-03-2004, 04:20 PM
I've always used just a regular 'ol pencil eraser.

chknbone

Old 05-03-2004, 05:38 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by gmorf33
yeah, i didn't think so either RP. Don't suppose you'd have any suggestions you could pull out of your detailer's bag 'o tricks do ya? Something that wouldn't ruin the black trim that is.
Can you define 'ruin'? LOL! Personally, I'd use a GREAT BIG hammer.

Honestly, I'm not sure what to try on plastic. If it were paint on paint, I could have it off in a jiffy I believe but, on plastic, well, that's a different beast all together.

RP

Old 05-04-2004, 09:01 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2 methods that I have used to date :

1. Hairdryer, and a still nylon brush. This requires re-waxing around the area again, as you have just melted the wax off the paint around the trim you are cleaning ( that is the what the hairdryer does, gently melts the wax on the trim so you can get it off ).

2. Wax blaster. This does work, but it is not a 5 second procedure. Again if you get any on the paint, it is re-wax time, as this disolves the wax.

I think I'll try the Mr Clean Magic Eraser next, I use them around the house all the time as it is. Never thought of using it on the black trim. Thanks RP !!

Old 05-04-2004, 09:31 AM
Moderator &

Originally posted by SSCULLY
I think I'll try the Mr Clean Magic Eraser next, I use them around the house all the time as it is. Never thought of using it on the black trim. Thanks RP !!
Purely a thought as I haven't tried it yet either.... I do know it worked a miracle on my running boards... I never realized how dirty they were!

Quick Reply: Getting wax off the trim?