Bedliners, Caps, Tops & Lids
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rhino & LINE-X Thickness Test

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 11:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rhino & LINE-X Thickness Test

We received this truck from a body shop that needs a rail sprayed. I took out my handy Elcometer to test the thickness. Now, I realize that thickness is going to vary per dealer per truck. Both the Rhino and LINE-X trucks are Silverados.

The units of measurement are in mils. 125 mils is 1/8"; 62.5 mils is 1/16". In my opinion, the MINIMUM thickness should be 125 mils on the floor and wheel wells, 90 mils on the sides, and 80 mils on the tailgate. Be sure to notice the decimal point because 156 is very different from 15.6

These are actual results with NO cheating!

Here's the Rhino truck:

Rhino - Floor

LINE-X - Floor

Last edited by TruckGasm; 05-21-2008 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:55 AM
Rhino - Top of wheel well

LINE-X - Top of wheel well

Rhino - Tailgate

LINE-X - Tailgate

Old 05-21-2008, 11:57 AM
Rhino - Side

LINE-X - Side

Old 05-21-2008, 12:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The pics speak for themselves... and have made up my mind for which liner is going into the FX4!

Thanks for the tech. info!

Old 05-21-2008, 02:09 PM
Great comparison! Line-X is a great product, I love mine!!

Old 06-01-2008, 06:30 PM
Technical Article Contributor

that just shows even more than Line-x is better than Rhino no doubt. thanks for the info.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:41 PM
my truck came with a rhino and i am very dissatisfied. im sure some of it is to do with the installer. but of both bed liners ive seen rhino is very soft compared to the line-x.

my rhino liner is chipping on the floor and actually peeling (nice half paper sized pieces). ive seen that the paint was not removed before application though and i know with rhino the paint is supposed to be removed.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:35 PM
You don't remove the paint with any of them. You do however have to sand it to make a surface for the liner to adhere to.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:23 PM
I think that the thickness is really dependent on how GREEDY the applicator is. Even though these shops are representing rhino and/or line-x and/or someone else like speedliner, spray-lining, vortex, etc...... At the end of the day, how much is an installer willing to sacrifice in order to make a buck. At the price of material, if you can get away with 30% less, many would do it cause it's numbers. WELL that's ****ty cause I say it's about quality. Don't blame RHino or Line-x for ****ty spray-lining, blame the applicator.

There is definitely a quality difference with materials as discussed above. However, they also serve different purposes. Hardline by Line-x is specific in it's behavior just as RHino tuffgrip is soft. Both are very durable when applied correctly. At the same time, Spray-Lining and Scorpion are both adequate materials for bedliner and do a great job when applied properly. Check them all out before buying and probably most of all talk to the dealer and get a feel of his work ethic.... That is VERY IMPORTANT

Old 03-18-2013, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by abcflor1da
There is definitely a quality difference with materials as discussed above. However, they also serve different purposes. Hardline by Line-x is specific in it's behavior just as RHino tuffgrip is soft. Both are very durable when applied correctly. At the same time, Spray-Lining and Scorpion are both adequate materials for bedliner and do a great job when applied properly. Check them all out before buying and probably most of all talk to the dealer and get a feel of his work ethic.... That is VERY IMPORTANT
Wow, reviving old thread!

I think you have your wires crossed. Hardline is a Rhino product, not a LINE-X product.

Scorpian (and Al's Liner which is retail packaged Scorpian) is a solvent based product and does not have the durability of LINE-X or Rhino.

Last edited by TruckGasm; 03-18-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:56 PM
Depends a lot like was said, the person putting it on. You could go get 2 trucks done today and get opposite results. That's simply not any kind of a 'study' to come to a firm decision I don't think.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by Damn Dirty Ape
Depends a lot like was said, the person putting it on. You could go get 2 trucks done today and get opposite results. That's simply not any kind of a 'study' to come to a firm decision I don't think.
The thread is almost 5 years old! But, I could have done the test many more times. You have to start with number 1.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by TruckGasm
The thread is almost 5 years old! But, I could have done the test many more times. You have to start with number 1.
ever plan to do another sample?

Old 03-19-2013, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by Damn Dirty Ape
ever plan to do another sample?
Next opportunity that comes along, I'll be happy to! Actually, I've measured lots of truck beds over the years but just never took pictures. In the last year or so, it's not uncommon for other brands to spray about 65 mils on the floor because that what the "factory" bedliners are measuring. The possible problem with 65 mils is less impact protection. LINE-X dealers still apply 125 mils on the floor which not only provides better impact protection, but you're getting more bang for your buck. Do you think the other brands lower their price for reducing the thickness to 65 mils? I think you already know the answer to that question.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:03 PM
I don't know that thickness alone really says much. An 1/8" of steel is going to be tougher than 1/2" of banana peels. In the end, it's how the product performs and how it suits your need. I suspect any product that is backed by a nationwide warranty is likely more than capable. Part of the choice will come down to aesthetics. Do you want the harder, shinier stuff, or the softer, more rubber-like stuff?

That said, my lining has been in for over 9 years. It's seen all manner of materials, including a bed full of stones. I've used the shovel multiple times to remove materials. I've got a few small dents in the sheet metal from heavy impacts, yet nowhere is the liner peeling, cracking, chipping, etc. I've got no idea how thick my Rhino lining is, but it's done the job for me.

Quick Reply: Rhino & LINE-X Thickness Test