Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

How to Fix a Defective Window Switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 05:43 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ciscos-F1
hello again

I tried cleannig the switch i put back the truck still doesn't work so the only thing is i have a short somewere i just cant seem to find it others on here say its on the drivers side door any sugg. please help thanks
Make sure the contact point is smooth. I fixed mine today and my rear passenger wasnt working. After fixing it my front passenger wouldn't roll down but would go up from the drivers door. Took it back apart and smoothed out the edges of the contact plate and made sure I had a good connection point. Now all working perfectly.

If it still doesn't work you may have an electrical issue in the switch or the electrical board which would warrant a replacement part. Good luck

Old 06-05-2011, 05:26 PM
Power window switches

Both back power window switches on our 2008 F150 would work to lower the windows, but not raise them. Your step by step instructions and photos were great, and my wife and I were able to fix both switches. Thanks

Old 06-16-2011, 10:16 PM
CiK
Did this tonight. Worked great! Thanks for the write up.

I do have no control with the window lock button now. When the switch is in the window lock position, all the windows will go up and down......when the switch is in the window unlock position, all the windows will go up and down. I am wondering if I placed the contact in the wrong position for the window lock/unlock button.

Again, thanks for the great write up.

**New info 6/18** I am an idiot. :-) The window lock button does work. All of my other vehicles completely locked out the windows, even from the driver side "master control". The F150 apparently doesn't work that way. It locks all window controls except the driver's controls. All windows were locked when I checked them.

Last edited by CiK; 06-18-2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:23 AM
Thanks Matt (mblouir) for the great step by step instructions and photos!

I tried to fix the problem a couple years ago on my 2004 F150 when the left rear passenger switch stopped rolling up the window. I knew it was a switch problem because I swapped out the switch with the right rear passenger switch and it worked fine. I couldn't figure out how to disassemble the switch to see if I could repair it.

Two years later and all three passenger window switches stopped working (could roll down the windows but not up). This is courious because I rarely have passengers in the back seats so the switches are hardly ever used. Then the driver window switch started having problems rolling the window up. I cursed the thought of having to blow a couple hundred bucks replacing window switches. I followed Matt's steps and got all the switches working again. This problem appears to be pandemic. Tisk, tisk, tisk Ford! Shame on you.

Mike

Old 06-30-2011, 05:59 PM
Talking Genius...

Just tried the process you described to fix my driver's side window. It would go down, but wouldn't go back up without pushing the button a thousand times or so. Took everything apart (you're pics were INCREDIBLY helpful) and cleaned the contacts. Works perfectly! If you can just get that black case off (that took me a while) it's an easy fix for ZERO dollars! Thanks!!!

Old 07-03-2011, 03:43 PM
I just finished with my '06 having the same problem. Problem solved. Great write-up. Thanks

Old 07-15-2011, 12:36 PM
I tried it but now my lock and unlock switch for the windows doesnt work.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad to hear this is helping so many of you guys.

Originally Posted by JScharp 7675
I tried it but now my lock and unlock switch for the windows doesnt work.
One or more of the small components may not have sat back into place correctly. I'd suggest taking it back apart and making sure everything is seated correctly. Those tiny components can be a pain.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:32 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Passenger side regulator broke and while replacing it, the switch quit working. Would not go down. Cleaned the contacts and back in business. Thanks so much for the writeup, it really helped.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:12 PM
Thanks Matt, Excellent Post

07/19/2011
Just finished cleaning switches, all works well now. Excellent photos and instructions. Both of our front window switches had stoped working. Our 06' f150 has 56,000 on OD. Again, Thanks for your post!!

Old 07-22-2011, 03:43 PM
glad to hear I'm not the only one! my driver's side window is having a problem. I'm going to assume it is this issue and try to correct this weekend.

thanks!

Old 07-25-2011, 06:17 PM
It works, for awhile...

Thanks for the great write-up and pics - makes it super easy that way. I've done this 3x now on my '07 F150, but the burning/arcing continues and I'm sure that it's just about cooked. Shame on Ford for such a sh*tty design. All the dust and crud that gets in a door just works its way to the switch module and the problem repeats itself over and over again. Bloody poor design - the Engineers should be ashamed of themselves. Or else the bean-counters thought they could save half a penny. Ford should be ashamed of itself. Thanks for letting me vent.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:03 PM
Like everyone else, 2008 CrewCab and ALL my window switches starting acting up around the same time, did the simple steps and all are back in business, thank you very much for taking the time to save us all lots of $$$$.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:19 AM
The switch for my back window does the same thing. I can't figure out how to get it off the roof though. I have a lariat so my rear window is powered. Any help will be appreciated

Old 08-16-2011, 04:37 PM
I specifically created an account here to thank you for this tutorial. It saved me $115 for a new switch.

I did notice, tho, that one of the leg things on the switch (the plastic part that touches the metal contact) for the driver's side window was extremely worn. Is there somewhere that sells these "inverted Y" switches so I can replace it in the future (because I just know it's gonna wear out eventually)

Quick Reply: How to Fix a Defective Window Switch