Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

Brake Rotor Removal When Stuck

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 02:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep, this technique works great! Got my p-side rotor off today with no damage to rotor! Thx to the OP!!

I didn't have to use as much force as OP, but I did have to turn the rotor 180-degrees once, to get it to pop.

Pics:

1. ready to start removal
2. tools and 2-1/2" x 1/2" bolts and nuts, steel plates to protect rotor, shop towels to protect rotor
3. everything mounted up and ready. Note towels between steel plates and rotor to provent stratches
4. OEM parts I can finally install
5. New hub installed

Old 10-15-2012, 07:33 PM
rear rotor stuck

i tackeld my rear rotors today on my 06 4x4 , after beating on it and soaking it in thrust rust remover with no luck i looked on here and seen the bolt jacking methed, on my 06 it has a 1/4" hole and would bend the **** out of it for sure so i ended up using a Porto-Power 4 ton hydralic ram between the spring and rotor to bust it free from the hub i had to press it in 6 spots to get it fully free but it worked like a charm , i dont see why someone cant do the same with a small 2 ton jack good luck guys

Old 05-03-2013, 08:28 PM
Hey guys

Before I get slammed for being so naive, I'm from the UK now living in Canada and this is my first 4x4. I think it's a 4x4 as I can select between 2 and 4 wheel. My truck is a 1999 F150 4.6L V8 XL. I have seen so many different videos and threads but I still can't figure out whether I need to remove the bearings to get my rotors off. Right now I have a three way puller on it cranked to about 3/4 of it's capacity. I've used a boat load of PB and a can of map gas and beaten the living snot out it. I am a 300lb brick **** house and can't believe I maybe missing the point here somewhere. I have the bolts out of the caliper and the caliper off the truck. The guy at the parts shop gave me new rotors which look like the bearings don not need changing.

Is there any way I can tell?

Cheers

Old 05-03-2013, 11:04 PM
Never mind guys. I used the two bolt method in the end. I'll take the 3 way puller back tomorrow probably. I will say that I never expected that to work as efficiently as it did. I was amazed at how easy it was to ping those discs off.

For the record it was just the discs and not the bearings too.

Thanks and looking forward to fixing my truck more from this forum.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:08 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Bean
Never mind guys. I used the two bolt method in the end. I'll take the 3 way puller back tomorrow probably. I will say that I never expected that to work as efficiently as it did. I was amazed at how easy it was to ping those discs off.

For the record it was just the discs and not the bearings too.

Thanks and looking forward to fixing my truck more from this forum.
That's a good deal!

Old 04-25-2017, 01:28 PM
Genius

Wish I found this an hour ago.
Rotor was off in mins.

Old 06-24-2017, 05:49 PM
Hammer didn't budge it, but this easily worked, in less than two minutes. Thanks!

Old 11-19-2018, 01:45 AM
I used PB Blast and solved the problem right away. Video on my brakes - 2014 Ford F-150 3.5L EcoBoost v6
Below is a link to how I did it. (I think you need to watch it on YouTube, but it might play - idk and please subscribe to my channel for more videos coming soon)
2014 Ford F-150 3.5L EcoBoost | MOTORCRAFT Brake Pads and Rotors for 2004 - 2014 Ford F150

Last edited by AlexAvani; 11-19-2018 at 01:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Brake Rotor Removal When Stuck