Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Brake Rotor Removal When Stuck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtsTJ...layer_embedded

Old 04-22-2010, 05:12 PM
Global Moderator &

mbjr

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have found a method far less destructive and intensive than the traditional heat, pound, and grind techniques for removing a stuck rotor. Simply insert 2 1/2" x 3-4" threaded bolts into the caliper mounting bracket holes, and thread a nut on each between the bracket and the rotor. Hold the nut with a wrench, and turn the bolt head in with a ratchet or wrench(really hard, use a cheater). The end of the bolt will apply pressure on the rotor. Alternate tightening each until you hear the rotor break free. If necessary, loosen the bolts and turn the rotor 180 degrees and repeat. The thread length on most bolts is 1 1/4", and I found I needed about 1 1/2". By placing a 1/4" small iron plate between the end of the bolt and the rotor surface, you get the extra length as well as protecting the rotor surface and distributing the pressure. My rotors were stuck enough that the ends of the bolts left a significant depression in the steel plate surfaces, and it broke free with a bang.

I wish I found this years ago!

Old 04-22-2010, 05:19 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
awesome job!

Old 04-22-2010, 09:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i love the cool cheesy oriental beat mixed in with the ratcheting sound... makes it mystical and mechanical all at once haha.
Im wondering if sliding old brake pads between the bolts and rotor would be better than trying to find two awkward metal shims.

Im guessing this is for 4wd only though, my 2wd rotors bolt off

Old 04-22-2010, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
never sleize is ur friend. cool video

Old 04-23-2010, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by Fabian06SC
i love the cool cheesy oriental beat mixed in with the ratcheting sound... makes it mystical and mechanical all at once haha.
Im wondering if sliding old brake pads between the bolts and rotor would be better than trying to find two awkward metal shims.

Im guessing this is for 4wd only though, my 2wd rotors bolt off
My wife thought I was surfing **** when i watched it. NOT MEEE

Old 04-26-2010, 10:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
THAT is an awesome video (both technically and artistically)!

I wish I'd known about this trick previously, as I resorted to drastic measures on both my F150 and my wife's Escape.

I'll be sure to share this.

THANKS!

Andy

Old 04-26-2010, 11:21 PM
I used a similar trick on my rear rotors a few weeks ago. I used a flat plate with a 1/2" hole drilled in it. I put a 3.5" 1/2" bolt through that and threw a nut on. Placed the plate and bolt between the rotor and caliper bracket and tightened it down. Turned the job from one with a lot of banging and cussing to a walk in the park. I did need to tighten it down a good deal (bent the plate) but after a few good turns the rotor literally "popped" off

I only had problems with one rear rotor. All the other ones pretty much just fell off

Old 04-27-2010, 08:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A light coating of anti-seize on the back side of the rotor will also help to avoid the need to use this trick in the future.

Andy

Old 07-16-2010, 07:01 PM
I wanted to bump this.. I used this method twice today for my front rotors and it worked like a charm. The only thing different was that I didnt use 2 nuts because they wouldnt fit between the caliper bracket at the rotor. One nut was enough, and using the bolt to push on the rotor was enough to break it off in less than 5 minutes. Keep in mind that this will probably bend or warp your rotor unusable if you arent careful 8-)

Old 09-11-2011, 08:29 PM
HOLY! After spending an hour & a half just getting my rear tires off my 2000 F-150 today, I was gonna replace both rear rotors & started with the old pound the living crap out of the rotor to get these $%#*^! things off (spent over an hour on one with ZERO results even after soaking & re-soaking with PB Blaster)- I'll be trying this method out tomorrow!!! This is.... GENIUS!!!

THANKS!!!!

This place ROCKS!

Last edited by Bluejay; 09-11-2011 at 08:34 PM. Reason: language
Old 09-16-2011, 04:35 AM
I did this on both of mine and it worked great BUT be careful because he part you screw into on my truck bent! a good 30 degrees without me realizing. then another half an hour and a small sledge along with a ruler i was able to bend it back. Just make sure your paying attention to in.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:26 AM
After watching the video, I went out and pulled one of my rear wheels off, removed the caliper and realized that the bolts that hold the caliper on were far smaller than 1/2" (1/4"?), so I couldn't try this technique because I was afraid I would end up breaking a bolt in the original holes. Since I noticed a broken gas tank strap (recall!) I called a dealership in a small town North of me and set up an appointment to get the straps replaced and asked them what they would charge me to remove the stuck rotors. They told me just the time it took to bust 'em loose. They called a couple hours later and told me that they had the rotors off and asked me if I had the new ones, because if I did - while the truck was on the lift, they would put them on for me (duh - why didn't I think of that?). Bottom line, they replaced both straps (gratus) and removed and re-installed the new rotors, put it all back together and it cost me a whopping $92!!! And remember this is a DEALERSHIP!

On my way home (MAN what a difference!) I played the lottery...

Old 09-28-2011, 02:47 PM
Great video! My driverside wheel hub went out, and I decided to replace both front hubs. The driverside rotor came right off, but the passenger side rotor is stuck. I couldn't get it off, so I have a brand new hub still sitting in the box.

Now I know how to get this rotor off. Great post. Thx!

Old 09-28-2011, 02:52 PM
Global Moderator &

Glad the site helped you!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake Rotor Removal When Stuck