Popping noise resolved

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 03:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Popping noise resolved

All
I wanted to take a minute and share with you an experience I had this week with my 2007 F150 Lariat. About 3 weeks ago I started to experience a popping noise coming from the front left side of my truck. The noise only occurred when I was turning left (2WD btw). The noise sounded just like a tie rod end. Additionally I had a little creaking as well when I turned into an inclined driveway. I took it to the shop and told them to check out the tie rod and a few hours later the shop calls me and says, "we need to replace the tie rod". The work is done and I take her home, but before I make it home I hear the popping noise again when I turn. I am immediately not happy. Again this is a very loud pop that can be heard in the cab with the windows up and radio on. I get home and get under the truck only to find that the left tie rod end is still the OEM....I am fuming mad now. I calm down and get back under the truck to check out the entire front end. And that is when I see it. A brand new moog tie rod end on the RIGHT side of the truck......So I taker her back to the shop the next day and I am a little miffed, because had the mechanic done a test drive and made a few left turns, he would have heard the pop. SO they apologize and take the truck in. The end of the day nears and I call the shop. They tell me the tie rod end is fine but they can not locate the pop. They put chassis ears (stethoscope) on the upper and lower control arm, drive it around but could NOT pinpoint the pop. They felt the truck was safe to drive and figured it would show itself in time. I picked up the truck, little unhappy and not believing this was right. I got back to the office and had a buddy come out and rock the truck for me to make it pop. With my hand on the sway bar I immediately felt the pop. I looked closer and wouldn't you know it, the sway bar brace wad an 1/8' of space between the bracket and the cross member it bolts to. I couldn't believe it!!!!!! No freakin way this was my problem. So I put a 15mm deep well on her and give the wrench 6 good turns and tightened the rear bolt bolt right up. This completely closed the gap. The front bolt was snug. I went to the passenger side and gave three good turns to the front bolt, the rear was fine. I jumped in the truck and took her for a spin. Wouldn't you know it, quiet as a church mouse! Not a squeak or pop to be heard!!!!! I was a little surprised the guys at the shop spent 3+ hours on the issue and couldn't find it. They did not charge me anything and they have been good to me in the past. Anyway fellas, I hope this is of some help to anyone that finds themselves in a similar situation.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:11 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
ive seen a set of sway bar bushings go bad too, making a clunking popping noise as well

Old 04-12-2012, 05:00 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by malexander52
All
I wanted to take a minute and share with you an experience I had this week with my 2007 F150 Lariat. About 3 weeks ago I started to experience a popping noise coming from the front left side of my truck. The noise only occurred when I was turning left (2WD btw). The noise sounded just like a tie rod end. Additionally I had a little creaking as well when I turned into an inclined driveway. I took it to the shop and told them to check out the tie rod and a few hours later the shop calls me and says, "we need to replace the tie rod". The work is done and I take her home, but before I make it home I hear the popping noise again when I turn. I am immediately not happy. Again this is a very loud pop that can be heard in the cab with the windows up and radio on. I get home and get under the truck only to find that the left tie rod end is still the OEM....I am fuming mad now. I calm down and get back under the truck to check out the entire front end. And that is when I see it. A brand new moog tie rod end on the RIGHT side of the truck......So I taker her back to the shop the next day and I am a little miffed, because had the mechanic done a test drive and made a few left turns, he would have heard the pop. SO they apologize and take the truck in. The end of the day nears and I call the shop. They tell me the tie rod end is fine but they can not locate the pop. They put chassis ears (stethoscope) on the upper and lower control arm, drive it around but could NOT pinpoint the pop. They felt the truck was safe to drive and figured it would show itself in time. I picked up the truck, little unhappy and not believing this was right. I got back to the office and had a buddy come out and rock the truck for me to make it pop. With my hand on the sway bar I immediately felt the pop. I looked closer and wouldn't you know it, the sway bar brace wad an 1/8' of space between the bracket and the cross member it bolts to. I couldn't believe it!!!!!! No freakin way this was my problem. So I put a 15mm deep well on her and give the wrench 6 good turns and tightened the rear bolt bolt right up. This completely closed the gap. The front bolt was snug. I went to the passenger side and gave three good turns to the front bolt, the rear was fine. I jumped in the truck and took her for a spin. Wouldn't you know it, quiet as a church mouse! Not a squeak or pop to be heard!!!!! I was a little surprised the guys at the shop spent 3+ hours on the issue and couldn't find it. They did not charge me anything and they have been good to me in the past. Anyway fellas, I hope this is of some help to anyone that finds themselves in a similar situation.
Thank-you kind sir, for the followup!

I'll be checking mine ASAP.

MGD

Old 04-12-2012, 05:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OMG I just bought NEW tie rods, ball joints and struts and I noticed YESTERDAY that the right side sway bar end had a little space in between it and I didnt even worry about it and that is the side my "ball joints" are out on! WTF Im gonna be pissed if this is the same case! thanks though man for the Info!

Old 04-13-2012, 11:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hope it is the quick fix!

Originally Posted by Jaskdavis
OMG I just bought NEW tie rods, ball joints and struts and I noticed YESTERDAY that the right side sway bar end had a little space in between it and I didnt even worry about it and that is the side my "ball joints" are out on! WTF Im gonna be pissed if this is the same case! thanks though man for the Info!
On the down side it sucks to spend all that $ on the ball joints cause that is an expensive shop job, but at least you are good for another 100k+. Let us know if that fixes it for ya.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by malexander52
On the down side it sucks to spend all that $ on the ball joints cause that is an expensive shop job, but at least you are good for another 100k+. Let us know if that fixes it for ya.
Haha Yeah, definitely was not My sway Bars, I could even Tighten them more at all! So I guess It's Ball joints

Old 06-28-2012, 05:19 PM
thanks for the information. i just bought a 04 f-250 super duty lariat and my truck is making that same popping noise. has all new ***** joins on it. ive brought it to 2 different shops and a ford dealer and everyon keeps saying the front end is in excellent edition. i can hear it when i drive over bumps at high speeds but mostly when im turning. i can even feel it in my feet on the floorboard

Old 07-12-2012, 10:10 AM
Where on the truck is it located?

Old 07-15-2012, 04:48 PM
Does the 4X4 have sway bar also?

Quick Reply: Popping noise resolved