so when i order my gryphon...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 11:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so when i order my gryphon...

1. are they shipping it to me with three canned tunes, or are they shipping me basically an edge evo (stock tunes) to use until they email the custom tunes?
2. i cant find a clear/cut difference between stock/canned tunes from PHP. Is the canned tune that they send me accounting for something more than an Edge would be accounting for, if so.. what?
3. The order form lists some tunes as STOCK, does that mean none of my mods are accounted for?
4. I have a CAI and deleted rear cats into a flowmaster 40... am I doing damage to run the programmer before getting the emailed custom tunes?

my plan is to do the LEVEL 1- stock/canned tow , Level 2-custom performance 87, LEVEL 3- custom performance 93. despite personal preferences, does anyone have any recommendations against this setup? My habits are generally city driving, with often longer highway trips, and want to also have a tow option if i need it down the road.

thanks!

Last edited by bambo2888; 12-30-2009 at 11:43 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:43 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by bambo2888
are they shipping it to me with three canned tunes, or are they shipping me basically an edge evo (stock tunes) to use until they email the custom tunes?

my plan is to do the custom perfor 87, stock/canned tow, custom performance 93. despite personal preferences, does anyone have any suggestions against this setup?

thanks!
Just to help eliminate confusion, stock tune normally refers to the original tune in your truck. The Edge and Gryphon both come with 3 canned tunes which are very similar since the same guy was involved in their development.

You can replace any of the canned tunes with custom tunes and what you are comtmplating is exactly what I have. I kept the canned Level 2 for what little towing I have and replaced the other 2 canned tunes with an 87 Perf and a 93 Perf. I ended up running the 87 Perf almost exclusively. It is very good.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:58 AM
I think I'm gonna order a gryphon for my new truck. The stupid 96.5 mph speed limiter on the Dually is very irritating.

Well, I guess it isn't that big of a deal now... Those Toyo m/t's that I put on there assigned their own 90 mph speed limit. I can't believe how much of a dog that truck is now. It used to be peppy, but now its as slow as Methuselah.

Old 12-31-2009, 02:07 AM
very good post. I have the same questions myself. An Edge Evo aint much good if you do any mods. How does Gryphon account for this? The form they want you to fill out isn't real clear. I know I need atleast 2 "custom" tunes, but don't really see how to explain on the form.....It could be that I'm just an idiot.....So please folks, take it easy on me....

Old 12-31-2009, 07:24 AM
so the gryphon that they are going to initially ship to me is exactly the same as an edge, minus color? then later on, i get the custom tunes?

Old 12-31-2009, 10:10 AM
When you order the Gryphon, you fill out an order form. On that form you can tell them how you drive and what add-ons you have. You will receive the (canned tunes) Gryphon first. Then when Bill writes your custom tunes he will log them into the server. You will be notified when they are ready. Then you update your Gryphon with (CustomTunes). You can go to their web site and go to the forums. Look around and do a search to get more of your ?" answered.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:11 AM
Oh yeah! I love my gryphon. It is a world of difference.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:44 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by bambo2888
so the gryphon that they are going to initially ship to me is exactly the same as an edge, minus color? then later on, i get the custom tunes?
Not the same as the edge's canned tunes. Level 1 is but levels 2+3 are tweeked due to PHP not having to meet CARB standards like edge does.
Level 2 canned tow tune is the preffered one to run if you have a CAI. That one runs richer to help accomadate for the CAI.
Later your custom tunes will be available on pegasus.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:05 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by slayer-G
very good post. I have the same questions myself. An Edge Evo aint much good if you do any mods. How does Gryphon account for this? The form they want you to fill out isn't real clear. I know I need atleast 2 "custom" tunes, but don't really see how to explain on the form.....It could be that I'm just an idiot.....So please folks, take it easy on me....
No, you're not an idiot. If an entry in the order form doesn't make sense, you most likely don't have that "mod". Just make sure you DO fill in the info on anything you DO have.

And, don't be afraid to use the "remarks" section to describe/discuss anything that comes to mind. I converted an Edge to a Gryphon and when I sent my unit in to be converted, I included a typewritten letter describing in as much detail as possible how I used the truck and what I was looking for in my tune. I even included pictures of the truck and trailer I tow so Bill would have a better "feel" for my needs. You could FAX the order form and include a similar letter with it, or, you could attach a letter to the email if you email the form.

- Jack

Old 01-03-2010, 05:13 PM
I posted something up about wanting the custom 93 perf tune on another forum, and someone commented back asking how I was planning on making that work in my truck. They mentioned something about it only being for highly modified trucks. I have CAI, Flowmaster exhaust, and pullies.

I would look in the PHP forums but for some reason IE says the page can't be displayed.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have the right address?

http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/

Old 01-03-2010, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by shotgunz
Do you have the right address?

http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/

Okay that worked, the link on PHP sent me to this http://forums.phptune.com/

Quick Reply: so when i order my gryphon...