2015 - 2020 F-150

2015/16 Supercrew and a camper?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 09:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015/16 Supercrew and a camper?

I found a pickup camper ( one of the popup kind) for a very reasonable price. It is fairly light weight ( aprox 1000lbs empty) and and is a 6.5' version. I have a 3/4 ton diesel that I would haul it with the bulk of the time, but I am wondering how my 2015 screw might handle this if I wanted to use it with this truck occasionally. Not opposed to air bags if need be. Anyone doing this today that can give some 1st hand experience?

Old 08-25-2016, 09:52 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Should handle it fine as long as you don't exceed the truck's payload rating.

Old 08-25-2016, 12:01 PM
do you mean the campers that go in the bed of the truck?
A "Slide-in camper"?

you need to stay within the limits. Examine the tow guide closely and understand the ratings for your truck
http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/g...0_r1_Jan12.pdf

Old 08-25-2016, 10:58 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I would NEVER, repeat NEVER use a slide-in camper, even a pop-up with a half ton truck...

They are just not heavy duty enough for it. You are almost over the GVWR and GAWR of these trucks with 4 adults in the cab and a few hundred pounds in the bed, let alone a slide-in

NO F'ing way!

The "max cargo weight" of the F150 supercrew with 157" wheelbase is 1700 pounds with the heavy duty payload package (which most do not have). That figure includes both cargo in the box, PLUS passengers in the cab... It's VERY easy to exceed the GVWR, and GAWR (axle ratings) on these trucks. And while they might handle it, especially for shorter terms, it's dangerous and illegal

Slide in, use an F250 minimum

Last edited by crazynip; 08-25-2016 at 11:02 PM.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:54 AM
I can't believe someone asked whether a late model supercrew can tow a 1000 lb travel trailer.
Believe it or not this information is located in the owner's manual......you know the 1" thick book in the glove box.

Last edited by Paul888; 08-26-2016 at 07:03 AM.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:30 AM
Originally Posted by Paul888
I can't believe someone asked whether a late model supercrew can tow a 1000 lb travel trailer.
Believe it or not this information is located in the owner's manual......you know the 1" thick book in the glove box.
OK, come on, give me a little more credit that that. Sorry, I was not completely clear. This is a camper in the bed of a pickup. Slide in. In my area they are called " pickup campers" not slide in, but either way.

And to the comment about never putting a slide in camper in the bed of a half ton? You had better do your research. There are plenty of slide in campers specifically made for 1/2 ton pickups. Hell, there are slide in campers made for small trucks like rangers, S10s, Toyotas, etc. Yes, you have to be cognizant of the weight, which is what I am looking at.

That being said, I am asking the questions because I know it MAY be borderline.

I have a Dodge 2500 Diesel that I would use the majority of the time, but I keep that truck 250 miles away at my lake home. I was looking at the light weight models( made for 1/2 tons or smaller) as an option to occasionally use in my F150. Maybe....

Last edited by northlander; 08-26-2016 at 08:44 AM.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:34 AM
glc
Like I said, it's fine if you don't exceed the payload rating.

http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/2015...tions/payload/

Looks like yours is anywhere between 1700# and 2910# depending on how equipped. The door jamb sticker should have your data.

The "max cargo weight" of the F150 supercrew with 157" wheelbase is 1700 pounds with the heavy duty payload package
WRONG. 1700# is only on a 2wd 2.7 without the payload package. All other configurations are higher.

That figure includes both cargo in the box, PLUS passengers in the cab
Correct.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:30 PM
Yep, 2020Lb payload for mine. Weight wise, I would be fine.

Old 08-27-2016, 08:41 AM
Originally Posted by glc
Like I said, it's fine if you don't exceed the payload rating.

http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/2015...tions/payload/
Looks like yours is anywhere between 1700# and 2910# depending on how equipped. The door jamb sticker should have your data. 1700# is only on a 2wd 2.7 without the payload package. All other configurations are higher.
The camper document the other poster linked a few posts up clearly states 1700 pounds. The document you posted seems to be more thorough, so I will defer to that.

Old 08-27-2016, 08:46 AM
Originally Posted by northlander
And to the comment about never putting a slide in camper in the bed of a half ton? You had better do your research. There are plenty of slide in campers specifically made for 1/2 ton pickups. Hell, there are slide in campers made for small trucks like rangers, S10s, Toyotas, etc. Yes, you have to be cognizant of the weight, which is what I am looking at.
I stand by my statement...

I have OWNED Slide-In's in the past. I also hauled it with a F350 SRW.

Yes, they do make lighter slide-in's, Palomino makes some nice ones.

However, design is compromised, utility is limited compared to full size ones.

And while they DO make them for half ton trucks, and I guess Rangers (never seen one in real life, why...), I would NEVER use a half ton truck to haul one. Half ton trucks are just not designed for that kind of load.

And again, while they DO make them that will just barely squeak in to not exceed your GVRW and GAWR, they will only do so completely dry and unloaded and you will be at your weight and restrictions before even adding people, and the dynamics of driving the truck with that much high weight in it would be frightening to me.

I overloaded my 2005 F150 before and driving it loaded down like that scared me to death. And that was short distances and NOT a high load like a slide-in

Use your Dodge 3/4 ton truck for this and be safe

Old 08-27-2016, 10:01 AM
glc
The camper document the other poster linked a few posts up clearly states 1700 pounds.
It also says this:

Cargo Weight Rating shown in chart is
maximum allowable, assuming weight of
a base vehicle with required camper option
content and a 150-lb. passenger at each
available seating position
The chart I linked assumes a 150# driver with no additional passengers or cargo. So - with a payload capacity of 2020# and a 1000# dry camper, you have 1020# to play with for additional passengers, equipment, cargo, and an "overweight" driver.

Old 08-27-2016, 01:56 PM
We can play this game all day, just ask yourself:
A. Most all, if not ALL slide-in's which are possible in half-ton trucks are pop-up's
B. Do you want a pop-up slide-in? And all the baggage that comes with them
C. With a SuperCrew, you have to buy one designed for a short bed because of center of gravity issues. Again, they MAKE them for short beds, but have some limitations as far as interior design and placement due to weight overhanging off the rear behind the axle (this issue happens on 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks with short beds too, to be fair)
D. Like I said, real world, you are basically going to be at, if not exceeding your GVWR and / or GAWR when actually operating. For me, i'm not comfortable with doing that and all the negatives that entails if/when things go wrong. Also the possibility of voiding part of your warranty by doing this
E. Even if not completely over-loaded, the truck will handle like crap with such a high center of gravity. Will stop like crap, you will literally always be on the edge of safe control of your vehicle. Some of these challenges exist with 3/4 and 1 ton trucks too, but their drivetrain is designed for it, and IIRC the Super Duties have a slightly lower center of gravity.

I'm not trying to argue with you, i'm just getting this info out there for the OP.

I've done this before, like I said I owned one for many years, I know all about the pitfalls of doing it. I drove my F350 Crew Cab diesel from Florida to Colorado TWICE pulling a 10,000 pound trailer (enclosed trailer full of 4 wheelers and other gear), so I know the in's and out's of this. And a few other multi-thousand mile trips with the slide-in pulling a 8,000 pound boat.

There are also forums dedicated to RV'ing which have LOTS of resources about equipment, trucks, etc

It's very easy to even overload a 1 ton dually with some slide-in's.

Quick Reply: 2015/16 Supercrew and a camper?