2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Crappy Air Conditioning-Has Anyone Thought About A Class Action Suit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 12:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've just wasted months dealing with Ford of Canada's customer service people. They have absolutely no power to help, so don't waste your time going that route.

Beyond checking pressures and coolant levels, the dealers do nothing to search for the problem. The last one ran the truck in a cool shaded shop for about 30 minutes and got everything cooled off. After that they drove it for another 30 minutes and said it was fine. After that, I drove it for about an hour while the outside temperature continued to rise (I had waited for a hot day to book it in). At that point, the inside temperature was rising too. I shut off the air and lowered the windows when I began to sweat.

The truck blows cold air when you don't need it, so it is capable of blowing cold. I would bet on a sensor problem, but the dealers won't look. Mine has manual A/C. I'm told to bring it back next year if the problem persists. That's great logic, because it persists now. They are wasting my time and trying to run me out of warranty.

I have requested permission to take the truck to a private A/C shop and that has been ignored. My customer service representative stopped contacting me, so I called her and asked to speak with her supervisor. After I got pissed off, I was told that would happen within 48 hours.

When asked, the customer service representative said that she could not put me in contact with Ford Engineering. Apparently, only the dealers can talk to them.

It makes no sense that some of these trucks blow cold air when others don't (unless there is more than one system out there). The problem cannot be repaired if nobody will look for it.

As some think, cab size does not matter except for how long it will take to cool the truck. If one is not getting cold air out of the vents, no size cab will cool.

If nobody has started such a suit, advice on how to start one would be appreciated.

I would also like to know if any of you would be interested in this type of action.

Please don't post that your A/C works fine. I realize that some do. I'm looking into this for those of us who are sweating our asses off in an air conditioned truck. My Ford of Canada customer service representative works in Florida. I'll bet my *** that she would not drive my truck in her temperatures.

I like my truck, but I'm one pissed off F-150 owner. It is bad enough that it has had a rear oval replaced (peeling), a dash that occasionally changes screens on its own, a seat that goes down by itself, an O2 sensor, three catalytic converters, but it has this crappy A/C too.

It has been in five times for the A/C and NOBODY has looked beyond pressure and coolant. On its second visit dye was added because the coolant was down 0.725 in coolant. Where it went is anybody's guess.

Thanks

Green Gem

Old 08-19-2014, 11:15 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Have you actually checked the Temp at the Vent's with the Ac on to see how cold it is?

My truck isnt the coldest vehicle i have had, but it still gets the Job done.. Our 98 Mercury would freeze you out at about 36 degrees, Our little Cavailer blows at 38 degrees.

I checked the truck today and with it in the 90s it was blowing around 42 degrees according to 2 different thermometers

Name:  20140819_164031_zps6314aa65.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  29.6 KB

Name:  20140819_144942_zps88295935.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  44.1 KB

Old 08-19-2014, 11:20 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Have you read this thread by chance? Maybe you can do something similar to your truck, since Ford isnt helping.

I did this to my buddies F250 and it made a BIG difference.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...rformance.html

Old 08-20-2014, 06:36 AM
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
Have you actually checked the Temp at the Vent's with the Ac on to see how cold it is?

My truck isnt the coldest vehicle i have had, but it still gets the Job done.. Our 98 Mercury would freeze you out at about 36 degrees, Our little Cavailer blows at 38 degrees.

I checked the truck today and with it in the 90s it was blowing around 42 degrees according to 2 different thermometers

KingRanchCoy,

Thanks for your reply. Are those temperatures taken at the top or the bottom of the cycle?

Some of my temps are posted here.

http://www.f150forum.com/f38/anyone-...m-suck-105604/

Take Care

Green Gem

Old 08-20-2014, 06:43 AM
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
Have you read this thread by chance? Maybe you can do something similar to your truck, since Ford isnt helping.

I did this to my buddies F250 and it made a BIG difference.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...rformance.html
KingRanchCoy,

Thanks, I have read that post. Until out of the so called warranty, I would not consider it.

What needs to be done is to have Ford order dealers to follow through and fix the trucks that perform like mine. If not willing to do that, they should pay for us to take our trucks to private shops that will actually make an attempt to fix our A/C issues.

Take Care

Green Gem

Old 08-20-2014, 07:02 PM
I'm not going to lie, I test drove two 14's (one a STX Sport and a XLT) and the A/C was horrible. I thought mine was bad until I drove those... I'm still not close to satisfied with my A/C. Plus, my truck has such a rough idle when the compressor kicks on.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:11 AM
Originally Posted by nascar99ford
I'm not going to lie, I test drove two 14's (one a STX Sport and a XLT) and the A/C was horrible. I thought mine was bad until I drove those... I'm still not close to satisfied with my A/C. Plus, my truck has such a rough idle when the compressor kicks on.
nascar99ford,

It is regrettable that you have to endure this issue too. If it has something to do with getting better mileage, I'd rather give up some mileage. I can adjust for that.

I was happy with mine when I purchased it, but not since it went through its first winter.

Your comment about the rough ible when your compressor kicks in is interesting. My idle is okay, but sometimes, when driving, the compressor kicking in totally sucks the power out of my truck. Other times, it has little affect.

What you said about your test drives is not encouraging.

Good luck solving your A/C issues

Take Care

Green Gem

Old 08-21-2014, 01:19 PM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nascar99ford
Hey nascar99ford,

Have you spoke with your Ford Dealer about this? Shoot me a PM with your name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number; I'll see how I can best assist.

Nick

Old 08-21-2014, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by FordService
Hey nascar99ford,

Have you spoke with your Ford Dealer about this? Shoot me a PM with your name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number; I'll see how I can best assist.

Nick

Nick,

If things work like here, the dealers won't try to fix things and you will have no power to help. Do you have any power over what the US dealers do?

Ford customer service has washed their hands of me. I did not even get the supervisor call back that I requested. It is a sad state of affairs.

In five visits to three dealers with mine, the breakdown is pretty close to this.

About 30 minutes of idling, about 35 minutes of test driving and maybe an hour checking pressures, adding refrigerant, adding dye and looking for leaks. Nobody looks any further and my A/C still sucks.

I hope that nascar99ford has better luck in the USA.

Green Gem

Old 08-21-2014, 03:55 PM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Green Gem
Nick,

If things work like here, the dealers won't try to fix things and you will have no power to help. Do you have any power over what the US dealers do?

Ford customer service has washed their hands of me. I did not even get the supervisor call back that I requested. It is a sad state of affairs.

In five visits to three dealers with mine, the breakdown is pretty close to this.

About 30 minutes of idling, about 35 minutes of test driving and maybe an hour checking pressures, adding refrigerant, adding dye and looking for leaks. Nobody looks any further and my A/C still sucks.

I hope that nascar99ford has better luck in the USA.

Green Gem
Hey Green Gem,

All dealers are independently owned and operated, so they reserve the right to make their own operational and business decisions. I see you're currently working with Brittany on this. Please continue working with her moving forward, as she's in the best position to assist you.

Nick

Old 08-21-2014, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by FordService
Hey Green Gem,

All dealers are independently owned and operated, so they reserve the right to make their own operational and business decisions. I see you're currently working with Brittany on this. Please continue working with her moving forward, as she's in the best position to assist you.

Nick
Nick,

That sounds like a plan, but Britteny stopped responding. If a customer is not pleased, you just have to stop responing and all is great.

I just herd back from Therese's moronic supervisor. About six hours after the call back deadline and after I posted her failure to call on another forum.

She says that I should take my truck to the dealer so that they can try to duplicate the issue. She was even one dealer behind the times. Has common sense totally left North America? It has already been to three different dealers.

I said that I wanted to speak with her supervisor at Fords. She said that she did not have a supervisor at Fords. After batting that back and forth for a few minutes, she said that she is empowered by Fords to deal with their customers. In other words, I was dealing with a call centre, not part of Ford, who can talk nice to customers and dealers, but who are otherwise useless. I made it clear that I had already gone her route, but she was not smart enough to grasp that. If she could read, she should have known that. I gave her my final two words and hung up. The call was being recorded, so hopefully Fords gets to play it back so that they can see what their customers have to deal with.

Nick, do you actually work in Michigan like your heading suggests?

Green Gem

Old 08-21-2014, 08:39 PM
Sorry to hear that your truck went thru a lot of issues. We do hit over 100 degree these days in texas, i havent feel any issue with mine. Sure it isnt super cold, but cant complain when its 100 degree outside.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by chef-j
Sorry to hear that your truck went thru a lot of issues. We do hit over 100 degree these days in texas, i havent feel any issue with mine. Sure it isnt super cold, but cant complain when its 100 degree outside.
chef-j,

Thanks. I'm glad that your A/C is working. Do you know what your vent temperatures are? What are you driving and what colour is it?

I would not stand a chance in 100F weather. Long before that, I have to drop my windows because the cab gets stifling hot.

Take Care

Green Gem

Last edited by Green Gem; 08-21-2014 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by Green Gem
chef-j,

Thanks. I'm glad that your A/C is working. Do you know what your vent temperatures are? What are you driving and what colour is it?

I would not stand a chance in 100F weather. Long before that, I have to drop my windows because the cab gets stifling hot.

Take Care

Green Gem
Sorry i do not have anything to check temp. It is black screw stx with 5.0. 70% local and about 30% hwy (avg 400 milies a week)
Also has tinted all windows from dealer, do not sure % of but it isnt dark enough.

Maybe you have a freon leak somewhere?

Old 08-22-2014, 07:13 AM
Originally Posted by chef-j
Sorry i do not have anything to check temp. It is black screw stx with 5.0. 70% local and about 30% hwy (avg 400 milies a week)
Also has tinted all windows from dealer, do not sure % of but it isnt dark enough.

Maybe you have a freon leak somewhere?
chef-j,

I don't really know how much tint would help me. My cap is really dark tinted and it stops sunlight from coming in the rear window too. The driver and passenger windows could be tinted to the legal limit. The windows in the rear doors are already dark tinted from the factory.

Was your windshield tinted beyong the factory standard?

The refrigerant was low on its second visit to a dealer. It was topped up and dye was installed. They say that it does not show any sign of leaks now. No cause has been shown for the low coolant level, but it was found last April following a pretty hard winter.

It is possible that they lose some refrigerant/pressure each time they check it. It could be at the low end of the accepable range, but they lever give me the numbers.

Take Care

Green Gem

Quick Reply: Crappy Air Conditioning-Has Anyone Thought About A Class Action Suit?