2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

air conditioning on remote start

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 04:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
air conditioning on remote start

just wondering if anybody is noticing when you remote start your vehicle on a hot day, the AC kicks on nice and fast, gets things beginning to cool down.

But when you actually jump in and turn the key to run, the seats turn back off and the AC system goes to the lowest fan setting and stays there. I have done this multiple times lately now that we're well into the 90's and the only way to make the system go back to cooling the cab on anything faster than "slow fan" is to turn off the truck or cooling system, and turn it back on.

you can either cycle the ignition or just hit the button on the vent system to turn it off and back on. Then it'll kick back in and run you out of there with cold air!

Anyone know why the blower motors goto low when you turn the key to run after an autostart?

thanks,

Old 07-25-2014, 07:12 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have an FX4 with the auto climate control, and before I shut down the truck, I make sure EATC is in auto. Then when I remote start it it stays where I set it even after the key is in. I do have to turn the cooled seats back on tho. Go into your setting tab on the productivity screen and make sure the HVAC is set on auto under the remote start settings, and the heated cooled seats if you have them.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:14 PM
yeah everything is on auto, and I do usually leave the system on auto anyway, it does work well...

my complaint is going from auto start to key on. the fan will be going full bore to cool off the cab and then when you put the key to run, the fan goes to the slowest setting at stays there. Like automatic mode is messed up...

Old 07-30-2014, 01:18 AM
Originally Posted by KingJR
yeah everything is on auto, and I do usually leave the system on auto anyway, it does work well...

my complaint is going from auto start to key on. the fan will be going full bore to cool off the cab and then when you put the key to run, the fan goes to the slowest setting at stays there. Like automatic mode is messed up...
Can you change the settings once the truck is running?

Old 07-30-2014, 08:58 AM
yes you can change the settings but you have to go to "LOW" in order for the fan to ramp up and actually cool the cab, or manually override the auto settings and turn the fan speed up.

this just seems broken to me. i recently sat in another friends 2013 truck and it does NOT do this. the remote start climate controls remains working after turning the key to run.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:26 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Sounds like a warranty issue. See a dealer.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:33 AM
yes you can change the settings but you have to go to "LOW" in order for the fan to ramp up and actually cool the cab, or manually override the auto settings and turn the fan speed up.

this just seems broken to me. i recently sat in another friends 2013 truck and it does NOT do this. the remote start climate controls remains working after turning the key to run.
My 2013 remote start puts the system in auto, so on a nice luke warm day like you listed in the 90's it is at max fan speed (you have to please everybody, was 117 here the other day ). But then when I turn my key to on, it goes to what it was last set to, so if your friend had it on max ac when he shut off his truck, then it will not change, although he would have to turn his seat coolers back on.

Old 06-13-2015, 10:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine did exactly that, then just this week it will cut all functions from the climate center. It can still be fire pit hot in the cab and it does nothing. I'm not sure if I should shut the truck off and refire it, but hard to do once you start rolling down the road and realize the AC doesn't work.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:59 AM
It should go to the previous setting like azmidget said. You may need to get it checked.

2012 manual: No climate control adjustments will be recognized during remote start operation and none of the climate function indicators will be illuminated while the vehicle is in remote start. Once the ignition is cycled to the on position, the climate control system will return to the previous settings (last ignition-on cycle) and adjustments can be made normally. If the previous setting was off, the climate control system will turn off.

If you previously had any of the following activated: heated seats (if equipped), cooled seats (if equipped), heated mirrors (if equipped), or rear defrost, they will not return to their previous settings (on) when the ignition is turned on and will need to be re-activated if desired.

Old 06-16-2015, 05:14 PM

I have noticed the same issue in my 2014 FX4. If you push max ac and let it go for about 10 seconds and then go back to auto, it kicks air out like it should when the cab is hot. Was wondering if it was all in my head but now that I see others have the problem I will have it looked at next time I have it at the dealer.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:01 AM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yes you can change the settings but you have to go to "LOW" in order for the fan to ramp up and actually cool the cab, or manually override the auto settings and turn the fan speed up...
Originally Posted by WoodsTruck
Mine did exactly that, then just this week it will cut all functions from the climate center...
Originally Posted by piercede
I have noticed the same issue in my 2014 FX4...
Hey, folks!

Now that it's getting warmer outside, I'd definitely recommend getting your climate control concerns in front of your dealers. If you need my help after your visit, give me a shout! I'll do what I can to make sure you stay cool this summer.

Crystal

Old 06-19-2015, 12:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine does this exact same thing too...very strange. It will only adjust the fan speed if I set the temp down to LO. I can be 100+ inside the cab and set on 68 and the fan will be on the lowest setting.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by FordService
Hey, folks!

Now that it's getting warmer outside, I'd definitely recommend getting your climate control concerns in front of your dealers. If you need my help after your visit, give me a shout! I'll do what I can to make sure you stay cool this summer.

Crystal
The problem, at least with mine is, it's not an issue 100% of the time. Seems to be most likely a software glitch, but rather annoying when you have a hot day and you use remote start to get the truck cooled off, then start driving and it won't pump enough air to keep the truck cool. Will definitely mention it to the dealer next time, but pretty confident the answer will be "could not duplicate issue".

Old 06-23-2015, 07:24 AM
OSD
To fix the low speed after ignition on with remote start go to the remote start settings in the vehicle settings and set climate control to "Last Setting" NOT "Auto" I have had 3 trucks in the past year with the remote start and auto climate control and I have had to do this with each one. Once you have it set to "Last Setting" you will have brief slowing of the fan before it returns to high speed as long as you have the climate control set to Auto when you shut your truck off.

Last edited by OSD; 06-23-2015 at 07:27 AM.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by OSD
To fix the low speed after ignition on with remote start go to the remote start settings in the vehicle settings and set climate control to "Last Setting" NOT "Auto" I have had 3 trucks in the past year with the remote start and auto climate control and I have had to do this with each one. Once you have it set to "Last Setting" you will have brief slowing of the fan before it returns to high speed as long as you have the climate control set to Auto when you shut your truck off.
Interesting, I will have to try this. I have always used AUTO for that setting in my previous F150's and never had this issue, but if it fixes it then I'm just fine with it.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: air conditioning on remote start