2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tow haul function

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 07:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Tow haul function

Hi I am driving a 2013 F150 FX4 with a 5 litr engine. My question is I drove it once with the tow haul function ON when towing a dbl axle trailer. Going down hill every time you hit the brakes it downshift and after hitting the brake pedal 3 times the engine start over revving. Is there a way to avoid the downshift because when towing a heavy load I am afraid that the rear wheel will lock up on me.

Thank you

Old 04-19-2014, 10:28 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
It's supposed to downshift when you do that to save your brakes - don't worry, the wheels aren't going to lock up.

Overrevving as in how many RPM?

Old 04-19-2014, 10:47 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Suppose to do it, I guess you could call it engine braking.. Doubt it would over rev, after all thats what a rev limiter is for..

Also if you have your cruise set and speed up using the accelerator then let off it will down shift to slow down to get back at the cruise control speed.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:09 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Excerpted from the 2013 F-150 owner's manual (page 204+) ...
D (Drive) with Tow/Haul On

The Tow/Haul feature improves transmission operation when towing a trailer or a heavy load. All transmission gear ranges are available when using Tow/Haul.

Tow/Haul can be activated by pressing the transmission control switch on the end of the gearshift lever (column-shift transmission) or on the side of the gearshift lever (floor-shift transmission).

The TOW HAUL indicator light will illuminate in the instrument cluster.

Tow/haul delays upshifts to reduce frequency of transmission shifting. Tow/haul also provides engine braking in all forward gears when the transmission is in the D (Drive) position; this engine braking will slow the vehicle and assist the driver in controlling the vehicle when descending a grade. Depending on driving conditions and load conditions, the transmission may downshift, slow the vehicle and control the vehicle speed when descending a hill, without the accelerator pedal being pressed. The amount of downshift braking provided will vary based upon the amount the brake pedal is pressed.

To deactivate the tow/haul feature and return to normal driving mode, press the button on the end of the gearshift lever. The TOW HAUL light will no longer be illuminated. Tow/haul will also deactivate when the vehicle is powered down.
Don't have one ?
Owner Manuals ««« -click-
» [ Choose Year ] » [ Choose Make ] » [ Choose Model ] »

Old 04-20-2014, 03:25 PM
Cool select shift

hi,
I have a 2012 5.0 XLT with the select shift rocker switch on the shift lever, it's great, just shift to "M" and rocker the trans into any gear you want to hold it up or down hills.
Perry

Old 04-21-2014, 05:36 PM
This is normal operation for tow/haul mode. It is keeping the engine in its power band of rpms's if you need to accelerate. Nothing to worry about. I have learned to turn it off if I will be decelerating and use my brakes more.

Quick Reply: Tow haul function