Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rate My Business Truck (new updates)

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 05:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rate My Business Truck (new updates)

Hey guys,

I'm back again with a few new changes that you all suggested and wanted to see what you guys think.

For those of you who have not been following this progression please let me pre-qualify this: This is a business truck! The intent was to get the billboard effect without it looking like a billboard. I decided against getting a graphics wrap in favor of doing some mods to get some attention. If this truck was strictly a personal vehicle I probably would have not done the bigger fender flares or the racing stripes, however, they do grab peoples attention and the design seems to be working. For 10yrs I had just my company name on the truck and only generated a few leads from it a year, now I am getting asked for my card about 3-4 times a month while at the jobsite, grocery store, home depot, etc.

Per your suggestions I made the following changes/additions:
Blacked out the rear wheel wells, got rid of the chrome on the mirrors, blacked out the chrome step bars, added a 2.5" leveling kit, got some new rims, put on some 34.5" nitto terra a/t's, and swapped out the stock grille with a black billet grille. You guys definitely knew your stuff because it looks way better now (I included a pic of the truck before the changes for reference). Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

1-Ugly
2-Allright
3-Nice
4-Real Good
5-Looks Great
6-Extra Credit: Looks Bad ***

Name:  photo38.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  112.5 KB
Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  97.0 KB
Name:  photo1sm.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  80.5 KB
Name:  photo2sm.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  79.6 KB
Name:  photo3sm.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  87.8 KB
Name:  photo5sm.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  77.5 KB
Name:  photo6sm.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  90.2 KB
Name:  photo7sm.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  87.4 KB

Last edited by BlackIce; 04-04-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:23 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
to start out with I was going to give ya a 3....cause of those hideous headlights....

then I seen the back and that added 1...so I score it as a 4

the racing stripes make it look to busy....when doing advertising layouts use the K.I.S.S. principal....

in my opinion a newer clean vehicle that has decent lettering on in it, is more appealing than busy body trick stuff not unless that's what you're selling...

Old 04-04-2013, 08:25 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The reason for the 2 would be the black stripes, headlights and grill.. Otherwise id be more around the number 4.. But other people may love it and say it looks perfect. Just Personal Preferance

Old 04-05-2013, 02:18 AM
i give it a 1. i don't like the junior high school art student graphics on it, becuse the white and black aways reminds me of the scorpions or some other rock stars from the 80's. other than that it really looks like the boss was trying to hard. i would say loose the SS strips and the rocker panel strip's. you could keep the flairs. but thats just my option so hope it helps!

Last edited by blueovelboy; 04-05-2013 at 02:25 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:13 AM
I say to each, his own. If you like it, that's great. What I like is businesses that drive Fords. That's the important part.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its just the racing stripe down the center that I don't care for. The rest of it looks very tastefully done.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:24 AM
I think I have to agree with most, the racing stripes aren't doing it for me. It's hard to argue success though, it's getting looks and walk-up questions, so it's working.

As for rating it, personal opinion only, I'd say a solid 4 overall.

Kickass 6 from the back (the blend of the tail-lights and black is excellent design).

Good looking 5 on the side, the rockers and flares work, I'd consider blacking out the wheels to finish it.

The front however just doesn't work. The racing stripes are the wrong flow, going vertical instead of horizontal like the rest of the accents. And being paired they look worse for the too narrow white strip between them. Either ditch the stripes (I'd suggest a blacked out hood blending in the grill) or fill in the center for a single wide stripe (still not the best but maybe easier to do - you could even just use some heavy vinyl to do a mock-up to see what it looks like)

Old 04-05-2013, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by far-trader
I think I have to agree with most, the racing stripes aren't doing it for me. It's hard to argue success though, it's getting looks and walk-up questions, so it's working.

Kickass 6 from the back (the blend of the tail-lights and black is excellent design).

Good looking 5 on the side, the rockers and flares work, I'd consider blacking out the wheels to finish it.

The front however just doesn't work. The racing stripes are the wrong flow, going vertical instead of horizontal like the rest of the accents. And being paired they look worse for the too narrow white strip between them. Either ditch the stripes (I'd suggest a blacked out hood blending in the grill) or fill in the center for a single wide stripe (still not the best but maybe easier to do - you could even just use some heavy vinyl to do a mock-up to see what it looks like)
Thanks for the input, the black is all 3m vinyl i put on. I like the racing stripes but do not LOVE them. I agree, the back and the sides look fantastic but wasnt sure about the stripes. I tried a blacked out hood at first but was told several times that I look like a cop truck in the rearview mirror. I am toying with a different design for the front. Ill see if I can do a rendering of it and post it.

Name:  blackhood-2.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  86.9 KB

Old 04-05-2013, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by far-trader

I'll have to get my buddy to photoshop a different design, but I was thinking instead of the racing stripes, blacking out part of the ptm grill surround. I'd continue the top and bottom lines of the headlights with black through the ptm surround to fill in the white between the lights and the grill, so pretty much the entire ptm surround except for the top strip of it, that way it would kind of match the band I have on the tailgate. What you guys think of that?

Old 04-05-2013, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by BlackIce
I'll have to get my buddy to photoshop a different design, but I was thinking instead of the racing stripes, blacking out part of the ptm grill surround. I'd continue the top and bottom lines of the headlights with black through the ptm surround to fill in the white between the lights and the grill, so pretty much the entire ptm surround except for the top strip of it, that way it would kind of match the band I have on the tailgate. What you guys think of that?
I hadn't thought about the blackout hood looking too much police-like til you mentioned that. Like the look but yeah the confusion isn't helpful.

The idea you're toying with was my first thought, just not sure how well it will align. Also not sure about the lights blending. If it comes close to the way the tailgate turned out it'll rock. You've got a good eye and design sense.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:20 PM
I give it a 4.

Old 04-07-2013, 12:18 AM
Id give it a 5!! Not sure about chrome accents on the mirrors, but thats just personal preference.
I think Im going to steal your idea with the black stripe + lettering on the tail gate Will try to make it to match to my appearance package stripes(2013 FX4).
Also I would consider swapping those fogs for LEDs or HIDs to match with halos on headlights.
Nice work so far!

Old 04-07-2013, 02:15 AM

I love the side and rear angles (rear is reaaaally good). But I don't think it's the best looking truck because of the stripes, but what it comes down to is that it is a work truck, designed purely to attract people's attention and get you business. So I think it does a good job of that, and it's already been working! But I will warn you (though I'm sure you know) the bottom line is earning more money, so don't go too overboard and spend too much money! I think a black hood will look better than the stripes, but I don't necessarily think it'll attract more attention. You want people to notice your truck, get a good vibe from it, and inquire about your business. The good vibe part is delicate and tricky, so I would stick with bold yet conservative designs that appeal to a broad range of people

Old 04-07-2013, 02:26 AM

Also, I would absolutely try removing only the bottom most part of the stripes first (between the bottom of the grill and the top of the bumper). That's what throws it off for me. And best of all, that's a free alteration because you already paid for it! If you do that, post up a pic and see how people respond. I bet we'll see a lot more people approve of the stripes. There has to be a reason why the Roush F150s look perfectly find with racing stripes.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:50 AM
You know, I think KMAC0694 has nailed the problem with the stripes, it is the bit of continuation below the grill that throws it off. Good call KMAC!

And the point about it working can't be over-emphasized. It IS working so there's not much if anything to change ( except the stripes below the grill ).

Quick Reply: Rate My Business Truck (new updates)