2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2012 Backup Camera Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 06:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 Backup Camera Install

I upgraded my 2007 to a 2012 F150 a couple months ago. Some things I want to do is add power fold mirrors and backup camera. So I have a couple questions. I know this topic is all over many boards, but they never seem to quite fit my situation/truck.

I contacted dealer that says the only harness I need/need to change is my tailgate harness. I have looked at the headliner harness and everything out there seems to point to pins 8 & 16 as the video feed pins. My harness does not have these pins.

Some particulars about my truck:

-Power sliding rear window
-Sync microphone in headliner (not in the mirror)
-Auto dimming mirror

Does anyone have any experience with the newer trucks? Also, I have seen write ups in the past that have diagrams and pin out descriptions. How would I get ahold of something like this before purchasing to ensure that I am getting all I need?

Thanks for all the help guys.

Philip

Old 09-15-2012, 11:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
camera

Hi,
The dealer just installed my back up camera, took an hour. The rear view mirror has to be changed and the oval Ford emblem on the tailgate. It's worth it, works great.
Perry.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:07 AM
1cobra,

What trim level is your truck?

I'm really regretting not getting the backup camera in my F150. That tailgate is so tall it's very difficult to see over. Don't think I had this much trouble in my F250.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:16 AM
Hi,
It's an XLT supercrew 4x4 with the XTR package, power pedals, heated power mirrors, side steps, sat radio, 18 chrome wheels and slightly bigger tires. Select shift 6 speed auto, tow package with built in brake controller.
In Canada the dealers put packages together , we normally can't get separate options. The wiring and mirror hookups must have been easy to do as it was done by the time I had finished my coffee and looked around the showroom.
Perry.

Last edited by 1cobra; 09-16-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:33 PM
The guy said it was getting easier in the newer models. Sounds like its plug and play. It's a lot of money to not be absolutely sure. I plan to document the install for others. Thanks for the replies. I expect to hear back from the guy on Monday. I'll post the results.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by 1cobra
Hi,
The dealer just installed my back up camera, took an hour. The rear view mirror has to be changed and the oval Ford emblem on the tailgate. It's worth it, works great.
Perry.
Did this include the sensors? Did the dealer have to drill out your bumper for the install of the sensors or replace the whole bumper?

Old 09-17-2012, 12:17 AM
no

Hi,
The camera is in the Ford oval on the tailgate, it is alot thicker than the non camera one. The bumper sensors are for the proximity warning that beeps at you- that is not the camera.
The rear view mirror has the picture in it with width lines and 3 backup reference lines, really helps.
Perry.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:45 PM
Here's a question. . . . Is the camera always on in reverse? It seems it might be more distracting if its on while backing a trailer already hooked.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:39 PM
I want to do this for my 2010 FX4 but the dealer said I had to go after market and get the camera above the license plate. Do you think I can get the OEM system installed? How much is the system with parts and installation? I may have to find another dealer that's willing to install the OEM version.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:36 PM
I was looking hard at putting in an OEM-style camera and new rear-view mirror with the embedded backup camera image, until I visualized the rather small size of that LCD display image in the mirror. So I think I may instead get one of the aftermarket systems with a larger standalone LCD monitor that will better allow me to actually see some details in the backup camera image, and mount the monitor just above the mirror.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:43 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by bansheerider
I want to do this for my 2010 FX4 but the dealer said I had to go after market and get the camera above the license plate. Do you think I can get the OEM system installed? How much is the system with parts and installation? I may have to find another dealer that's willing to install the OEM version.
Last time i checked on the emblem+camera it was $250-$400....depending on the dealer....

here's an aftermarket one.....http://www.rvfunproducts.com/ford-em...e-p-39978.html

Last edited by 88racing; 09-18-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:52 PM
The camera and bezel and necessary harnesses were fairly cheap. It's the mirror at $700 that is pushing the price to around $1000. I think I want this for the truck still. Brandmotion makes one - same price, but a lot more of a hassel. You may have to take the board out of your existing mirror if it has compass and relocate it . . . . not for much, but this way you can't resell it.

I am going to do this, it just when I am ready to pull the trigger!

Next I am going to do the power fold mirrors mod. . . .

Old 09-19-2012, 09:33 PM
Wait wait. I was reading my manual and it seems that the "HUD" will display options for turning it off when not needed. But now I have stumbled upon needing to reflash the ACM for this to work. Has anybody had this done? I think the dealer will be dumb about this part.

Thanks.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:50 AM
So I still haven't doe this yet.

Tasca says it can be, dealer says it can't. My dealer stated my truck has a different processor than those that come from the factory with a backup camera.

I guess I'm ok with aftermarket mirror and OEM bezel/camera. Can anyone shed some light or say the aftermarkets are just as good?

Old 10-07-2012, 09:00 PM
1cobra, do you have part numbers of the parts the dealer installed? I would like to do this mod to my 2012 XLT.

Quick Reply: 2012 Backup Camera Install