Go Back   F150online Forums > F-Series Trucks > 2009 - 2014 F-150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2009 - 2014 F-150 SPONSORED BY:
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2012, 04:43 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ford F-150
Door keypad not working on 2012

All, just an FYI. My door keypad stopped working the other night on my new 2012. The dealership took a quick look, not sure what it is? Dropping it off next week to troubleshoot. I'll keep the forum updated.
Just wanted to let everyone know, think twice of where you are if you like to lock your keys inside, make sure you're close to home or have someone who can bring you a spare. Never had this issue on any Ford I've had before, use them all the time. We'll see what happens???
Old 04-18-2012, 06:18 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ford XLT 4x4
I keep a spare key in my console, but I guess it wouldn't do any good in this circumstance.

I've got remote locks also, but that FOB is in the glovebox.

But I did spring for a 'FOB'd' key a couple of weeks ago, cuz I lost one of mine.
(Which I found 6 weeks later)

Having the FOB as part of the key does come in handy cuz I hate carrying stuff in my pockets.

I had good luck with the magnetic 'Key' boxes sold at hardware stores.

I'd put it up under one of the upper bed rails so if it did cut loose, it wouldn't be lost.

"Futile is Resistance" (Dyslexic Brog)
Old 04-20-2012, 12:13 AM

When I get my 2012 F-150 it will be the first time I have a key pad entry system. Until the truck comes in I use this when I don't want to carry a key. With the cover on you can't tell what it is.

http://www.hitchsafe.com/

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Old 04-20-2012, 11:46 AM

Those things just go out, have had them on other trucks dealer just needs to order a new one.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:27 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by discoblue View Post
When I get my 2012 F-150 it will be the first time I have a key pad entry system. Until the truck comes in I use this when I don't want to carry a key. With the cover on you can't tell what it is.

http://www.hitchsafe.com/

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Now that is cute! Not to mention clever! I'm getting too old to crawl under my truck to get to the spare key if my keypad should ever fail so I'm getting one. Thanks for linking that!
Old 04-20-2012, 10:05 PM

I just found out that Amazon sells them (with free shipping). I ordered one and will get it late next week.

'08 F-150 XLT Supercrew, white, 5.4L, 3.73 rear, Leer 100RCC cap with side toolboxes
Old 04-22-2012, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I just found out that Amazon sells them (with free shipping). I ordered one and will get it late next week.
Good find. You can set your own combo too.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:46 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Ford F150
Quote:
What did you think it was going to come with a set code you had to use?
Old 04-22-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Gee, I never knew! All seriousness aside, there is no way I would have bought it if I couldn't change the combo since there is no way I would ever remember a factory combo (I have a good memory, it's just really short).

I checked the reviews on Amazon and the only complaint that concerned me was a problem with the pins that secure the safe into the receiver socket rusting, making removal difficult when left installed for long periods (as mine will). From the descriptions, it sounds like the pins were simply machined from cold roll and were either not plated or were poorly plated. One reviewer said he used a teflon based spray lube (I'm guessing BreakFree) to prevent rusting causing a problem. I've used BreakFree and, while an excellent product, it eventually will succumb to weather. I'm going to try some waterproof plumbers' grease (I have a lifetime supply left from when I replaced some faucet washers a while back) to see how that works (I can squirt some black spray paint on the heads). If it continues to be a problem, I can always get a couple of stainless steel bolts, cut them down to length, then file or hacksaw the necessary locking groove.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:30 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ford F-150 Fx4
Why not just buy a master lock, locking pin and put in it? Jus tlike whats used on 90% of the reciever hitches? Way easier and holds up great to weather...
Old 04-22-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by User Error View Post
Why not just buy a master lock, locking pin and put in it? Jus tlike whats used on 90% of the reciever hitches? Way easier and holds up great to weather...
Because the pins do not go through. There is a short pin that goes in each side of the receiver socket.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:

I checked the reviews on Amazon and the only complaint that concerned me was a problem with the pins that secure the safe into the receiver socket rusting, making removal difficult when left installed for long periods (as mine will).
If you are from AZ like your title line shows, You won't have a problem. I left mine in most of the summer and winter (in northern Illinois) and while the pins did get a little rusty I was able to slide them out. I have cleaned them up and painted them with some POR15 for the new season, we will see how they hold up this year.

B
Old 04-23-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
If you are from AZ like your title line shows, You won't have a problem. I left mine in most of the summer and winter (in northern Illinois) and while the pins did get a little rusty I was able to slide them out...
That's good to know (and I am in AZ, why would I show I am if I am not?). Being the **** old coward I am, methinks I will still use a bit of waterproof grease on the pins before installing them (heck, I have more than I will ever use in this lifetime and I can't take it with me).
Old 04-23-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
That's good to know (and I am in AZ, why would I show I am if I am not?). Being the **** old coward I am, methinks I will still use a bit of waterproof grease on the pins before installing them (heck, I have more than I will ever use in this lifetime and I can't take it with me).
A little grease is always helpful.

Do you think that would work to my truck here faster?

B.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:35 PM

This thing would get destroyed in a winter or two where there is salt.. My snowmobile hitch is aluminum and it got destroyed.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:35 PM