2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Does the factory tinted glass protect against heat, UV, etc.?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 09:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had to tint my windows because of skin cancer issues. The shop that did my tinting told me that the factory rear windows are just smoked glass and have no uv protective qualities. He also said that he could put a mostly clear product on them to give them uv protection. I am thinking about doing that because that is where my newborn rides.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:43 AM
Originally Posted by F 1Fiddy
I had to tint my windows because of skin cancer issues. The shop that did my tinting told me that the factory rear windows are just smoked glass and have no uv protective qualities. He also said that he could put a mostly clear product on them to give them uv protection. I am thinking about doing that because that is where my newborn rides.
Factory glass does block UV light just not as much as say Limo tinted glass does. A lot of tinters are going to say it doesnt in order to get your business. IMO if block those rays are that important nothing is going to replace sunscreen and clothing.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by 88racing
The windshield should but as far as the rest of the side windows IDK???.....contact carlite they supply the oem glass for ford.... http://carlite.com/
Wish I knew how to "rep" you on this forum. Anyway, per your suggestion, I contacted CarLite and here is their response:

The privacy rear door windows and backlite on your F-150 would have the following solar performance:

Visible light transmittance: 18%
UV light transmittance: ~ 7% (i.e. 93% of all incident UV is blocked)
Total Solar rejection: 61% (total solar energy that is reflected and absorbed and re-radiated to the outside)

By contrast, the front door windows have the following:

Visible light transmittance: 72%
UV light transmittance: 36% (64% blocked)
Total Solar rejection: 40%

As you can see above, the privacy glass already does a good job of reducing the amount of heat and UV light coming in the vehicle versus the solar tint glass. You probably wouldn't get much improvement with the addition of a film on those windows. Be sure to check your state and local ordinances regarding addition of darkening films to your front door windows as some states don't allow it or limit it to a certain minimum light transmittance.
The Huper Optik Nano-Ceramic 30 film that I was considering has the following properties (for comparison):

Visible light transmittance: 34%
UV light transmittance: .01% (99.9% blocked)
Total Solar rejection: 61%

So now I'm back to considering just tinting the front 2 door windows and skipping the back windows altogether. However I notice the kids in the backseat still squint and complain about the sun in their eyes (they are still in rear-facing car seats) so maybe darker tint in the rear (or retractable sun shades?) will still help.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by BMWBig6
Wish I knew how to "rep" you on this forum. Anyway, per your suggestion, I contacted CarLite and here is their response:

The Huper Optik Nano-Ceramic 30 film that I was considering has the following properties (for comparison):

So now I'm back to considering just tinting the front 2 door windows and skipping the back windows altogether. However I notice the kids in the backseat still squint and complain about the sun in their eyes (they are still in rear-facing car seats) so maybe darker tint in the rear (or retractable sun shades?) will still help.

Bud just got a ticket for his tint, it does happen. I have it on the camaro and rear is limo or 5% i beleive. And sides are 35%. Trust me the car sucks to see out at night. But the Camaro is a fun car thus must look look cool. Everyday driver I probably wouldnt have as much tint on it.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:43 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks.....I've got a prescription for my eyes that allows me to run more than the legal limits for my truck and state....

When the kids are trying to view their video screens and can't....I hear about it...so I installed the retractable shades....

Old 01-03-2012, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by 88racing
Thanks.....I've got a prescription for my eyes that allows me to run more than the legal limits for my truck and state....

When the kids are trying to view their video screens and can't....I hear about it...so I installed the retractable shades....
Which shades did you buy, and would you recommend them? (I hope they're not the Winnie the Pooh ones!) If I decide to not tint the rear door windows, I'm looking for a sun shade with full glass coverage if possible.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:16 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Which shades did you buy, and would you recommend them? (I hope they're not the Winnie the Pooh ones!) If I decide to not tint the rear door windows, I'm looking for a sun shade with full glass coverage if possible.
They were a junk yard special out of a Lexus....I've had them for six years....they're black....sorry I don't have the mfgr details...

Old 01-03-2012, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by Busyman
I tint windows at a high end shop as a side gig. Our main line of window film is Llumar. I have all of my windshields tinted with Llumar Air 80. Air 80 on a windshield is almost undetectable, however as stated above there is a slight blue tint to it. Air 80 has a 43% heat rejection and (like all higher end film) blocks 99.9% UV rays.
Checking with your states tint laws is a good idea before having your truck done. If you are using a decent tint shop, they can explain the laws to you. Some states have a very difficult to interpret tint law. For instance, Illinois!
Off the record, one other thing to remember is that IF a cop does have a tint meter, almost always they are the cheap ones that slide over a half way rolled down side window. Very very rarely will a cop have a meter that can tell the % of a windshield. That type of meter is very expensive. At least I can say this about the midwest area.

Busyman
In Arizona no tint meter is required for the windshield. Just the presence of the film.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by expy03
In Arizona no tint meter is required for the windshield. Just the presence of the film.
Yup and most states have the rule where you can only have tint like on the top 4in of the window or something, so its hard hard for a cop to verify that you have tint or not and doesnt require some special tool

Quick Reply: Does the factory tinted glass protect against heat, UV, etc.?