2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2011 ecoboost and e85

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 06:26 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 ecoboost and e85

prior to buying my truck i had read somewhere that these engines were e85 compliant. never gave it a thought while buying the truck but today i opened the filler door while cleaning the truck and there was a big e85 logo with a circle and slash in red. i would guess that means no e85 for this truck. no stations around here sell it but thats not to say in the future it will not be. i sure hope they dont put it for sale this e90 or 10% corn is bad enough.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by projetmech
prior to buying my truck i had read somewhere that these engines were e85 compliant. never gave it a thought while buying the truck but today i opened the filler door while cleaning the truck and there was a big e85 logo with a circle and slash in red. i would guess that means no e85 for this truck. no stations around here sell it but thats not to say in the future it will not be. i sure hope they dont put it for sale this e90 or 10% corn is bad enough.
Nope, no E85 in the EcoBoost. Only the FlexFuel engines can do the E85.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:47 PM
No E-85 for the ecoboost and they are two E-85 plants being built. One in Tampa and the other in Jax. I'm interested to see if this has any impact on local fuel prices.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:51 PM
why would a new cutting edge engine not be set up for e85.

by the time they get done we wont have any corn left for food.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can't blame it on the state of Maine.We're a few years behind the times up here. There are no E85 stations in Maine yet.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:06 AM
Suspended
why would a new cutting edge engine not be set up for e85.

well hell, either way you will be not happy apparently.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:27 PM
you've got it wrong.

E85 is 85% ethanol 15% petrol. the "10% corn" is called E10

Old 05-31-2011, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by marshal
you've got it wrong.

E85 is 85% ethanol 15% petrol. the "10% corn" is called E10
i guess i did.

just the opposite of what i thought.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:02 PM
That's surprising being that e85 us usually great for boosted engines. It has a much higher octane rating, which allows you to up the boost. I imagine it has to do with the stock tune. I'm sure there's a way, might need some larger injectors and boost a pump for the fuel pump.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:23 AM
ham
The newest Ethanol plants use cellulose, not the seed. (stalks). The corn used is not human edible...it is grown strictly for animals. So when you see the price of tortillas go up because of ethanol cry BS! It is real sad how much bad info gets distributed and seemingly how helpless the good guys seem to be in setting it right. Where the ag policy sucks is that we raise so much corn that is not human edible, and use up some great acres that could be for wheat...which would feed the world.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:22 AM
Originally Posted by ham
The newest Ethanol plants use cellulose, not the seed. (stalks). The corn used is not human edible...it is grown strictly for animals. So when you see the price of tortillas go up because of ethanol cry BS! It is real sad how much bad info gets distributed and seemingly how helpless the good guys seem to be in setting it right. Where the ag policy sucks is that we raise so much corn that is not human edible, and use up some great acres that could be for wheat...which would feed the world.
You do realize you contradict yourself in your own statement right? The corn feed used for ethanol is for animals, so the price of food does go up because it cost more to feed live stock. Furthermore, if the fields were growing wheat like you mentioned, the price of tortillas would be cheaper. Also, it would be logical to assume they would grow more human edible corn if it weren't so profitable to grow it for ethanol.

I agree with what you say about it being a shame we are wasting our time on ethanol and not providing more affordable food for the the world.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:57 AM
I think its probably a wash, as far as mpg's go utilizing E85 at a lower price per gallon (lower mpg's also) and utilizing regular gas.

In the end E85 is a failed product with the intent on garnishing the farmers vote in Iowa during the presidential election year.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:03 AM
the 10% ethanol is a failed product. i moved down here to florida where i can only buy 10% and my mileage on the truck dropped 2 mpg. the lines on my weed wacker turned to jelly. all my friends that have boats complain about increased service bills.

yah its good stuff.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:50 PM
the 10% ethanol is a failed product. i moved down here to florida where i can only buy 10% and my mileage on the truck dropped 2 mpg. the lines on my weed wacker turned to jelly. all my friends that have boats complain about increased service bills.

yah its good stuff.
Marina's all over FL sell non E-10 fuel all over florida, your friends need to learn where to buy fuel for their boats. If they "have to" buy fuel at a gas station you can use fuel additives that help prevent the effects of E-10.

As to the weed eater, I call BS. I use Sthil Mix designed to help combat the issues with E-10 and have had ZERO issues with it in any of my Sthil products (trimmer, edge, hedge trimmer and blower).

Old 06-01-2011, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by MonteCarlo31
Marina's all over FL sell non E-10 fuel all over florida, your friends need to learn where to buy fuel for their boats. If they "have to" buy fuel at a gas station you can use fuel additives that help prevent the effects of E-10.

As to the weed eater, I call BS. I use Sthil Mix designed to help combat the issues with E-10 and have had ZERO issues with it in any of my Sthil products (trimmer, edge, hedge trimmer and blower).
i guess i should have been more clear. its when it first came out that they were putting it in their boats. they trailer so they would stop and fill up at the gas station to save a buck a gallon. thats before it was well know about what the ethanol would do.

Quick Reply: 2011 ecoboost and e85