Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Oil leak.....ugggggghh

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 09:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil leak.....ugggggghh

Howdy,

Just registered and thought I'd post up my first issue. I just bought a 2010 SCREW XLT with 4.6-3V engine. Huge rebates from the factory and dealer along with a nice driving truck put me in a Ford for the first time in over 20yrs. Love the truck, but I'm a little miffed after owning it only 4 weeks so far.

With only 700 miles on the odo.....yes, 700 miles, I have an engine oil leak. Dropped it at the dealer today and the most experienced tech couldn't look at it yet, but they think it is the rear main seal. I found oil around the back of the oil pan and bellhousing and a couple of small drips collecting on the middle of the sway bar. So it looks like the trans is coming out tomorrow. Dealer wants to keep the truck till Thursday at least. They gave me an '09 base model extended cab to drive until then.....it is OK, but I want MY truck back!

I sure hope this is the only issue I ever have with this truck. I gave up on GM a few years ago after owning a GMC truck that seemed to love the dealer's service bay......8 trips for warranty work over a couple of years of ownership. I punched out and went Japanese. I have to say that until today, I hadn't been back to a dealer for warranty work since I owned my GMC truck.

On a side note, my truck is Pueblo Gold (looks tan to me) and I just don't see that color around much and I live smack dab in the middle of F150 country....DFW, Texas.

I'll post up the findings after I get the truck back from the dealer.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:31 AM
R-Guy;

That sucks for sure, but I am personally amazed that Ford can manufacture as many trucks as they do and not ahve more of this. Modern factories amaze me. Thousands of parts, I would bet that there is a hundred different suppliers, and it all seems to come together in a complete package. I have only ever had small warranty issues, and I was very happy with the resolution.

Hang in there, and make the dealer put it right. My bet is they will, and in a hurry.

Keep us posted on the resolution - I for one will be watching this one - if only for curiosity.

Hang in there....

BJ

Old 10-06-2010, 08:16 PM
UPDATE

I picked up my truck this evening and it's fixed. They found that the rear main seal retainer was the problem. This is a cast aluminum part and it had a crack in the casting (manufacturing flaw) and they replaced it as well as the rear seal and oil pan gasket.

I've been under the truck and all appears to be in good shape with everything back where it should be (I've rebuilt a few cars and engines, so I always double check when others touch my stuff) .

Props to Five Star Ford in North Richland Hills Texas for getting the job done.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:23 PM
I just picked up my new Lariat on Monday night. It had about 175 mi on odo...so far I've only put about 100 mi on it since picking it up. Yesterday I noticed some oil on the driveway and thought it was from a relatives car (new driveway btw). Today I noticed alot of oil spots were I usually park the truck. I climbed under and found oil leaking down from the top of oil pan. Not what I would expect from a 47k sticker priced truck. Needless to say I will be visiting the dealer on Monday.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:39 PM
It seems there were a couple of posts about this issue early in the 2010 model year.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:08 PM
My truck was just delivered by Ford to another dealer...my dealer went and got it from them...that's why it had the 175 mi on it when I got it.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Same Problem :(

Much further down the line however. I have an 03 5.4 Screw with an oil leak and will be dropping it off at 5 Star Ford on Monday. Mine sounds just like what you described. Truck has 121k on it and this will be the only major problem I have had. Warranty is long gone so its gonna hurt a little.

Old 11-27-2010, 10:28 PM
Update...to my leak problem. I stopped into my dealer this morning and they immediately put the truck up on the rack and and put dye in the oil. They found that it was a bad oil filter adapter gasket...they ordered the part and it should be in by monday. Excellent dealer service...but disappointing that it would happen on a brand new truck.

Old 11-28-2010, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by ScrewedUPF150
Much further down the line however. I have an 03 5.4 Screw with an oil leak and will be dropping it off at 5 Star Ford on Monday. Mine sounds just like what you described. Truck has 121k on it and this will be the only major problem I have had. Warranty is long gone so its gonna hurt a little.
5 Star service dept seems pretty good to me based on my warranty work experience. Now have over 3K miles on the truck and no leaks after the rear main seal retainer was replaced. If I remember correctly, they charged Ford about 8 or so hrs of labor to complete the job and about $100 in parts.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:42 AM
Well 5Star tells me the rear main seal is leaking as well as both head gaskets for a total of $3500 to fix!!!!!! I ain't buying that. It's leaking but not that bad!!! Then service guy says he will talk to his manager to work something out. I think they are trying to screw me cause the truck is old......03 with 120k!!!!!!

Old 01-31-2011, 11:00 AM
:(

Well took the truck to a different dealer for a second opinion with the same result. After driving the truck since then I have had to put two quarts of oil in so the leak is significant. Really dont want to spend the money but it has been a great truck and still runs very well for 123k. I broke down and put it in the shop 2day so 5 Star can fix it. I got a free loaner which is a 2010 F150XL with the 4.6 and man is it a dead dog!!!!!!! My 03 has better acceleration than that thing. It was very unimpressive. Decided to keep mine and buy a new one in another year or two. I know I can get a deal on a 2010 but think I will opt for the new engine design of the 2011 after they have been out awhile and reviewed.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:39 PM
Angry Dealer did me Dirty!!!!!!!!!:(

Well after much consideration I came off the money to fix the oil leaks in my 03 5.4 since I will not be buying a new truck till the jury reaches a verdict on the new engines in the 2011 F150. Dont want any extra bills and like having money right now. I get the truck back and had not driven it much since I went on vacation. Start back driving it and notice it is surging and jerking at times. First thought was a tranny issue from the motor being taken out and something didnt get put back right. Pull out the garage and it dies but restarts and I am off. Get not too far from the house and it dies again but restarts and I come back to the house to look the truck over in the garage to see if something has been left loose like a vacuum line or something. Check the conncections to the coils and injectors. One injector is loose and comes right off when I pull on it so I clip it on good. I see that I have a different coil on the passenger side at the front of the motor. I changed all of the coils at 68k with ones bought from Global Automotive. All of mine have the milky white top with no wording on them. Well this one has a green label that says Ford and part numbers. I change it out with one of my old ones that I kept as a spare. Look on the driver side of the motor and same thing there is a green top coil and I change it out also. It smelled fried and the boot is all cracked. After that the truck runs like a dream. Dealer set me up so I would be back to get new coils..........Man!!!!!!after all the money I paid they still trying to juice me for more. I am disappointed and mad at the same time. Take the truck there cause I bought it there new and get good service but not anymore.

Last edited by ScrewedUPF150; 03-01-2011 at 08:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-02-2011, 12:08 AM
To bsd your dealer try to screw you! I have a similar experience quith my dealer when he change the spark plug, I gave him 8 brand new motorcraft plugs and he install 3 diferent part numbers spark plugs. Unfortunatelly I found this after 50,000 miles.

Quick Reply: Oil leak.....ugggggghh