2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What are the Pros and Cons on installing a leveling kit on my F-150

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 05:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are the Pros and Cons on installing a leveling kit on my F-150

1.What would the Pros and Cons on installing a leveling kit on my F-150?

2. What Band of leveling kit would you buy and why?

3. If I did install a leveling kit onto my truck, would I need to do anything to my F150? (Front End Alignment)?

4. I have a Ford Extended warranty on my F150, would this void my warranty?

Old 01-04-2011, 06:07 AM
The way I am going to level my F150 is to lower the rear. I lift my 4X4's and lower my 4X2's. Plus is this case it is much easier and cheaper.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. In the eye of the beholder.
2. How much do you want to spend?
3. Yes.
4. Depends on the dealer, but if you read Ford's policy, yes (on the chassis).

Old 01-04-2011, 09:41 AM
I have an 09 FX4, 1.5" AS front level.

Cons so far:

1. Fuel economy - I drive 90% highway, fuel economy has dropped about 2mpg with the front level. I drive about 5 over the speed limit, using cruise most of the time.

2. Death wobble - On rough highways at 55-65mph, the tires will wobble a lot more when I hit a negative bump (think pothole or wide crack). Can feel it in the steering.

That's the only two cons so far!

IowaAndy

Old 01-05-2011, 12:58 PM
Contrary to what most believe it does not make your johnson larger.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:02 PM
The advantage is looks and the ability to fit a larger tire.

Disadvantage is it can compromise ride, handling, and longetivity of the front suspension/steering components. It also will reduce your economy and may negatively impact your warranty.

I personally love the look of a leveled truck with larger tires, but where I do many miles of highway driving for my job I do not think I will level when I get my new truck.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:36 PM
with a leveling kit and 35's, after installing a VMP tuner I saw no decrease in fuel mileage from stock. This is the same result as when I leveled and 35'd my 2007 F150 and used a Gryphon tuner. Most of my mileage is on the highway.

I've also noticed no negative handling characteristics. Handling hasn't changed, no wobbles, vibrations or ride changes.

Autospring makes the easiest and cheapest leveling kits, available their shop on ebay. It's a very simple component, nothing fancy is required no matter what the other brands sales pitch says.

You'll need to align your front end after leveling it.

My dealer had no issues with it on my 07 or my '10. That being said if your ball joints wear out prematurely, don't expect to be covered.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by Jus Cruisin
The way I am going to level my F150 is to lower the rear. I lift my 4X4's and lower my 4X2's. Plus is this case it is much easier and cheaper.
EXACTLY... lower the rear... you will be much, much better off. In my opinion, they 'level' kits that are out there look AWFUL. It gives the illusion that the back of the truck is sagging.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:18 PM
Hey dave m,

I'm amazed you still got the same economy as you have physics working against you--more wind drag, more rolling resistance, and more weight. Just increasing tire size and leveling will create more unsprung weight and will have an adverse effect on ride and handling without properly valved new shocks.

Anyway, glad it worked out so well for you. My experience with leveled trucks is that you gain a nice look, but it is costly and compromises performance in every area and has very little benefits. Just my $.02

Old 01-05-2011, 08:45 PM
the best way to level is by getting a replacement strut assembly if you want to lift, or to drop the rear if you want to lower.

replacing the strut assembly with a leveling strut will provide a better, more stock ride. using the spacers causes your struts to be compressed which can cause a rougher ride, especially on uneven terrain.

the downside to the new struts is that they can be expensive, whereas those spacers are typically pretty cheap.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by richterscale
The advantage is looks and the ability to fit a larger tire.

Disadvantage is it can compromise ride, handling, and longetivity of the front suspension/steering components. It also will reduce your economy and may negatively impact your warranty.

I personally love the look of a leveled truck with larger tires, but where I do many miles of highway driving for my job I do not think I will level when I get my new truck.
+1

this is the reason i decided to go with an actual lift which kept the geometry of the suspension as close to stock.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by 06bluemeaniexl
the best way to level is by getting a replacement strut assembly if you want to lift, or to drop the rear if you want to lower.

replacing the strut assembly with a leveling strut will provide a better, more stock ride. using the spacers causes your struts to be compressed which can cause a rougher ride, especially on uneven terrain.

the downside to the new struts is that they can be expensive, whereas those spacers are typically pretty cheap.
I think you have it backwards...if you use a spacer, it sits on top of the strut assembly and raises the body w/o additional compression of the spring thus maintaining the factory ride. Using a leveling strut like the Bilstein 5100s will level the front end by compressing the spring more, which results in a harsher ride.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by Real Sniper
Contrary to what most believe it does not make your johnson larger.
Wrongo dongo. It also makes the truck faster on the freeway, improves gas mileage, makes it fit into ANY parking garage, able to run over almost anything, and allows you to tell everyone else at work how inferior their non-leveled/lifted trucks are, and attracts good looking wimmen.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:04 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I see a leveled unloaded truck, I wonder for what the owner uses the truck. A level unloaded truck means when you put weight in the bed on on a trailer hitch, it looks, acts, drives wacky. And that is when I want my truck to drive the best.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:11 AM
GGG,

A leveling kit like the 5100 does not compress the spring any more than a "puck" style kit and the 5100 usually adds more overall suspension travel. A puck adds height to the top of the strut assembly, the 5100 moves the lower spring mounting point--neither adds more load to the spring.

Quick Reply: What are the Pros and Cons on installing a leveling kit on my F-150