2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

09-10 Stock good year sra's input.. anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 11:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09-10 Stock good year sra's input.. anyone?

Looking at 2010 wheels and tires for a winter set on my 05. I was wondering what the owners of the 09-10's have to say about the goodyear sra's in the 275 65 18's on the stock wheels.. they get bad reviews on tires sites.. are they really that bad? Any winter driving experience?

Old 11-17-2009, 03:05 PM
They are bad period. Look like cr@p too. Good for nothing. I wouldn't hang em on the side of the dock at the 'ol fishing hole to protect my boat.

Might have one good quality... quiet. Maybe.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:37 PM
I've heard nothing about them great, either. Simply a road tread for minimal resistance and better economy. My ordered rig should have Goodyear Wrangler AT/S tires, which I have had good luck with on past F-150's. Once in a while, they get noisy if not rotated at decent intervals, but otherwise good. In 18's, if you don't need LT rated like teh Wrangler AT/S, try the BFG Rugged Trails. They are quiet, ride nce, and offer goo traction in my experiences.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:47 PM
Or upgrade to a Toyo Open Country A/T.

My factory BFGs lasted suprisning long (compared to my expectations of them) but looked bad (round shoulders) and traction was avg at best.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:09 PM
My truck came with the 18" SRA's. They are better than the OEM 20" Scorpions I have now. They did decent in the snow last winter for me before I sold them to get my 20" wheels and tires. But then again, I didnt have them that long.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:28 PM
My truck has these tires also but I have only put 1k miles on the truck. As far as ride quality goes I have to say that they ride very smooth and are very quiet. It hasn't snowed here this year and I haven't been off road at all with my truck, but they do seem to handle the rain good. I plan on keeping these on the truck until they are wore out only because I'm a cheap *** and if I buy something im going to use it up, lol. From the looks of these tires I wouldn't trust them going off road. As mentioned above they appear to be designed for economy rather than off road traction.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:38 AM
I have SR-A's on my 2009 FX4. Currently passing 27,000 miles (I will wear out a set of tires every 10-11 months).

I've had about 35 unique passengers in the truck. Most common compliment I get is the quiet ride, and no tire whine at 75+ mph. This is the first truck I can say has created as many noise compliments. I've also had a 1997 F150 SCab, 2001 SC, 2004 SC.

At 25,000 miles these tires have only lost 3/32" of tread depth, which is excellent in my book. I've run Yokohamas, Goodyear Wrangler AT-S, MT-R, BF TA-KO's, and so far the SR-A's have the least amount of treadwear at 25,000 miles. No cupping, uneven wear, or knots in the tread.

Iowa was a wet and rainy state this year, and I had no situations of hydroplaning, or wandering on rutted blacktop county roads with standing water. I have had to use ABS several times in Kansas City when traffic decides to do a panic stop from 70mph.

I haven't been through snow or slush or ice yet. Tires will be at about 35-45k for the worst part of winter, so I'll report back at that time. My truck doesn't see off road often, so obviously my tire requirements are different than those that do!

I will say I don't like the sidewalls. I use a gel tire shine, and these tires have ridged sidewalls, so the sponge is useless. You will need to spray on the tire foam for these tires.

IowaAndy

Old 11-18-2009, 11:43 AM
Suspended
If you got them for free or really cheap it could be a good winter tire if you have 4 wheel drive. Buy what you need. Buy what works for you.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:05 AM
Not bad on dry roads other than too soft of a sidewall and they are fairly quiet.

Ice and snow, at least in Canada where we get "real" winter, they really suck. TC and 4wd help but ABS kicks in really quick on ice.

Old 11-21-2009, 01:17 PM
Buy what you need. Buy what works for you.
You're a dork.

Old 11-21-2009, 01:57 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by statikuz
You're a dork.
They are like any kind of stock tire. You know how those are. If you can get it cheaply say $20 a tire or someone is giving away a set, and you can avoid paying $250 A TIRE for the the best tire, go for it. It won't be the best tire but it will get the job done. Buy what you need. Buy what works for you.

Old 11-21-2009, 04:02 PM
I have to agree with redrobin on this one. He makes very valid points. I haven't had any issues with my SRA's, they seem to be ok tires, I just don't like them because I want more aggressive tires that look like they belong on a truck. They work fine until I get the extra $ to waste on a set tho.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:28 AM
I just ditched my stock SRA's on my 2010 at only 1200 miles for a set of Gooyear Wrangler Silent Armors. The SRA's are fine if you do alot of highway driving and dont really tow anything heavy. I have always taken my trucks off road for hunting and just plain screwing around. I do the occasional towing and we do have our share of snow storms up here in the northeast. Thats why I opted for a more aggresive tire with a higher load range. Different strokes for different folks it all depends on what your using the truck for. But in my opinion the Silent Armors make the truck look way more rugged than the SRA's did so that helps too.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:53 AM
They are so crap... they are smooth for a little while but are softer than a babies a$$. I when i bought my truck, the FX4 was suppost to come with an A/T tire... When the truck came in i was pissed to find out it had a street terrain on it. Dealer argued with me that the tires were factory equipment and ford wasnt going to do anything about them... Ran my aftermarkets rims and tires all summer (and pretty much since the truck was new) happy as a pig in dirt... just put the stockers back on and am not happy again.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by savage02
I just ditched my stock SRA's on my 2010 at only 1200 miles for a set of Gooyear Wrangler Silent Armors. The SRA's are fine if you do alot of highway driving and dont really tow anything heavy. I have always taken my trucks off road for hunting and just plain screwing around. I do the occasional towing and we do have our share of snow storms up here in the northeast. Thats why I opted for a more aggresive tire with a higher load range. Different strokes for different folks it all depends on what your using the truck for. But in my opinion the Silent Armors make the truck look way more rugged than the SRA's did so that helps too.
I just did the exact same thing this weekend. The silent Armours make it look like a truck now, they are just as quite I think as the SR-A tire but it feels a little more like a truck than a cadilac now when I hit a bump.

Quick Reply: 09-10 Stock good year sra's input.. anyone?